Sunday, 12 July 2026

Wartime style rationing?

 

Britons would face wartime-style rationing of meat, dairy, petrol and flying under Green Party plans


As copied and pasted from MSN this morning.  Apparently the Greens are going to introduce this into their manifesto, ahead of the party's autumn annual conference (hah, I nearly wrote bean-feast!)  They propose state-controlled cuts of 50% in the amount of miles driven by each person and a cut of 70% in miles flown.  They plan to introduce a means of implementing a "fair distribution of dairy food and meat, diesel and flights" with each of us entitled to - but limited to - an allowance which would diminish year on year.

I am sure that the more intelligent amongst us can see the shortcomings of such a policy, and also the Communist-style control ethics.  The Government managed to control us by abject fear during the Covid lockdowns, and now it seems the Greens think they can take that control further. . .  I am absolutely gobsmacked at how this country is going to hell in a handcart, in so many ways.  The impact on rural dwellers like me, where NOTHING is local, would be disastrous.  What do they expect Amazon, Evri, Royal Mail and couriers to do with their deliveries?  Of course, expecting farmers do use less and less fuel is blardy ridiculous, but then Labour expects to have a few less of them in future . . . As for controlling meat and dairy purchases, ah, THAT'S how you get rid of farmers . . .  Personally, I can't think of a more guaranteed way to lose voters, left, right and centre . . .

Then The Guardian tells us that a leading expert on food policy is saying that the UK should be stockpiling food as it is not prepared for any climate-induced or war-induced eventualities.  Being that the UK is only 54% food-sufficient (and that will be a LOT less by the time they have covered good agricultural land with solar "farms" and AI monstrosities covering nearly 1,000 acres .  The UK is one of the least food-sufficient countries in Europe and set to put the food-sufficiency bar even lower.  Apparently the nine big retailers account for 3/4 of all retail food.  There are 131 distribution centres servicing them.  In a war setting, that makes food supplies a sitting duck for drone attacks.  A frightening thought.

Sorry to "go off on one" on a sunny but breezy Sunday morning, but I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this . . .


Meanwhile, 40 blocks sewn and joined to white counterparts in the last couple of days.  


How to save £40 and make your own bat-proof window cover . . .


A lucky break yesterday . . .



19 comments:

  1. I saw that headline about Green Party proposed policies. I wonder how long it will be before people realise that the Green Party is no ecological saviour, but now a bunch of outright communists
    And as for agriculture, the current Labour administration appears to have the knives out big time for the whole rural part of this country, not only destroying farming as a business activity thought tax changes, but confiscation of prime agricultural land for utterly useless solar panel installations. And, for good measure, ban any rural activity that they can think of - trail hunting etc.....
    My apologies for a bit of a rant - I grew up on a small Sussex farm over 50 years ago, and have seen the wilful neglect and worse of the rural/agricultural sector over the past half century, from the machinations of the EEC/EU Common Agricultural Policy and fisheries policies to Blair's fox hunting ban.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will - you and I sing from the same hymn sheet. I have lived in the countryside all of my adult life - half of it in very rural Wales. The current Government hate us for being independent and not voting for them. They want to try and grind us down in whatever way they can - it won't be long before you can't go anywhere in Wales without seeing a windfarm, and even something as petty as changing regulations for woodburners - only a matter of time before those are banned too.

    I feel sorry for farmers - besieged from every angle. Things were bad enough under the EU - now it seems like it is a personal vendetta. Yes - let's ban trail hunting in case it kills foxes. Excuse me - haven't they heard of the clean boot - it is a HUMAN they are chasing, and with bloodhounds, for heavens' sake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell in a handcart! Just look at Australia! I despair....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read up a bit on it, and seems like you are having similar problems with crap leaders and policies . . . Do you have your own Reform type party? I see there are some smaller independent right wing ones.

      Delete
    2. One Nation has almost taken over as the main opposition party but way too much to the right for a lot of people (including me) no matter how they despise Albanese and the Labor party. Compulsory voting has a lot to answer for!

      Delete
  4. Just for clarification, the government don't intend to ban drag hunting or clean boot hunting. They want to ban trail hunting as it has been found to be a frequently used as a smokescreen for hunting and killing of foxes and other wildlife, even on occasion domestic animals. Trail hunting has been banned already on National Trust land since 2021 following public consultation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet . . . if it's a country pursuit, it will be on the "to do" list. I should think they don't know that different types of hound are used for different sorts of hunting.

      Delete
    2. From what I have read, non-trail hunting packs are worried that the wording of the legislation will be broad and ambiguous and that all hunting with dogs will be banned. The Nar Valley Bloodhounds in particular have expressed this worry.

      Delete
  5. Some hope they have. Back when I was a kid in the 1960's there were only three party's I remember, Labor, Conservative and Liberal until the Libs fell out and another party evolved now it seems ant idiot can start one, you only have to look at the voting card. I hate to think who will get in next as long as it is not that idiot who just spat out the dummy. I bet Count Bucket face takes his seat because no one else is taking part. Nice idea keeping the bats out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This last election was the only time I'd have happily voted for the Monster Raving Loony Party - only they didn't have a candidate . . .

      Yup, a goodly breeze here today, blowing into my bedroom, and no bats hanging on the net curtain.

      Delete
  6. Gardengoddess4212 July 2026 at 13:24

    Oh dear. Do you have a link to the articles you’ve read, or even to the manifesto itself? I would like to read that, as these comments seem quite alarming. Life is becoming so stressful we all probably want to be prepared for what we might have to cope with. But efforts to stop these 'heat domes' worsening would be welcome I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you google it, several newspapers have written it up. Right wing ones, to be fair, but no smoke without fire . . . They aren't going to make it up as that would be libelous. The CCC have recommended reducing meat and dairy supplies in order to met Net Zero goals and "freeing up land used for livestock farming" so you can see where the idea has come from. . . They are pushing plant-based alternatives and precision fermentation (whatever that is) and cell-based "meats" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. meet Net Zero goals that should read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if any of the Green party live by the rules that they want to set us. Our local Morrisons hasn't had any of its freezers stocked or running due to heat issues and its been over a week now. Ok for us who can drive elsewhere. We've been to a lovely old fashioned fete this afternoon, Iris had a go on everything, winning various bits. I bought a huge pot of sweetpeas which made the car smell wonderful. Mine failed this year. I also bought a lovely hare print, professionally framed and paid £5 for it, as I handed over the cash, the lady serving whispered 'it came from one of the posh houses'. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like a lovely afternoon out and I bet Iris had the time of her life. My Sweetpeas are now finally planted up and growing :) Morrisons must have lost a lot of sales from this. As for the Greens, their Communist leanings were definitely one reason not to vote for them for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those ideas sound like they were dreamed up in a 6th form common room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spot on there Tracy. No joined up thinking. How about - even - that you are meant to represent your constituents' best interests, rather than CONTROL them!

      Delete
  12. Canadian politicians have just realized we have a food security problem. They are pouring billions into food production but to their horror have discovered Canada is dangerously short of farmers, good arable land and water. The Green party plans sounds awfully like Cuba to me. Of course they had to come up with something because of embargoes by many countries. Recent punitive measures by the Trump administration may finally push the country into famine. Why would the UK want to go down the same road voluntarily?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, fancy that! Sounds like similar things have been happening in Canada. Being short of water is a worry. I am on a spring here, and am very careful about how much water I use. Very short shower, wartime bath always, and re-use the washing up water for my plants. Oh yes, the Green party must model themselves on Cuba. Just read up briefly on Canada's embargoes. I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time.

      I have the feeling that the British Government is just a puppet creature, controlled by the likes of Elon Musk. . .

      Delete