I had a really LOVELY morning, exploring Aberedw (church, motte and bailey castle and then Llewellyn's cave) with friend Pam. Amazed that I could manage the quite steep hills, esp. after not exercising much during these heat waves. Cave was brilliant (HAD to see that because it stars in the new Barbara Erskine book, The Valley of Ravens).
I will answer all your lovely comments tomorrow - am off to bed now (8.40 pm!) as spent all afternoon preparing for tomorrow's fair, watering round etc. I didn't even bake - so the people I share a room with tomorrow will be disappointed. Although I do have a Lemon Drizzle cake in the freezer . . . I will leave you with one photo of the cave, from the outside . . . Billy, church it ain't but it used to be home for hermits, so has a religious connection and lots of fabulous graffiti . . .

Good on you, I've not been to it yet, I did have a good poke around the castle though, shame the railway used a load of it as ballast. I have been to the church a couple of times but not the cave and to be honest I was not sure where it was when I first went. Next time I'll try but never sure where to park. Are you going to climb Aberedw next?
ReplyDeleteWe parked down the hill 100 yds past the church, by the old red telephone box. For the cave you carry on walking away from the church from where you are parked, up and down a steep hill, over a little bridge, and then there is a fork off to the right. Take that, and 50 yds up is a rough track which takes you up through the woods (steeply) and follow it. There are signs along the way. The last bit takes you across a field and the cave is in trees up to the left.
DeleteNot sure if legs are climbing up Aberedw, though the view would be great!
I hope all goes well for you at the fair today with plenty of customers .
ReplyDeleteNo, I sold 3 things to dealers (which means they saw a profit in them) and one piece for £9 to a walk in customer. I made enough to have the lawn mowed and to pay for my stand next time, plus covering yesterday's fuel . . . Oh, and I blew £1.90 on a Solero ice lolly because my hair was wet with perspiration after going up and downstairs carrying belongings to the car. Thought I had earned it!
DeleteI reckon your blog wasn't updating itself on my computer, as I've just read three posts I hadn't seen. The very idea of wasps in the walls gave me the heebie-jeebies! Do you need a professional to smoke them out, or is there an easier (and cheaper) way? And Poor little Rosie! Two accidents so close together - no wonder she cried! We're in the middle of a very cold spell of winter weather, so I"m enjoying your summer posts.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right Virginia. It went very quiet for several days . . . There is a big thick wall and pitch pine panelling between me and them and they are at guttering height so their flight path way above my head. If they cause a problem, I'll get the chap in who smoke bombed the outside nest we had a couple of years back. Poor Rosie, when she gets so tired she doesn't think straight.
DeleteWould willingly swop you a couple of broiling days of summer for a couple of wet winter days right now!!
That looks fascinating, you are so lucky to live near Wales and all its treasures. You know you wont stop blogging you love churches so much;) even if they are rock shelters sometimes.
ReplyDeleteWell, still technically in Wales, and just in Brechiniog (Brecon) by 2 miles. The other side of the bridge in town, its Radnorshire. Yes, I do enjoy blogging but it's frustration when posts don't appear. I look forward to the comments and the behind the scenes chats.
DeleteCan't wait to see more pictures, it sounds fascinating. Good luck at the Fair, I always enjoy those pictures too. My husband volunteers in a charity shop on Mondays. Recently filling in on other days he discovered that every day except Mondays baking is brought in by fellow volunteers. He is seriously considering changing his day! I could send some with him I suppose but I already have my own volunteer activities and not sure I want to extend myself further. He has started picking up some biscuits on his way in but twice now they have been devoured before he got one for himself. Further insult, obviously there is a need not being met.
ReplyDeleteI only took a few pictures of other stalls. This has people curating far fewer pieces than me, and I think window dressers in a previous life!! I find it hard to achieve that same look but my turquoisey/bluey/greeny studio china lifts it as when you sell treen too, it can soon look very brown.
DeleteWhat a shame your husband misses out on the baked goods (my Lemon Drizzle cake went down well). If I were him, I would keep the boughten biccies in my bag, and just offer them round occasionally. At least he'd get a look in then!