Monday 15 January 2018

Yesterday's walk


This Catkin photo was taken last week, when the sun was out.  Yesterday was overcast, but the sun peeped through at times, and made everywhere look more cheerful when it did.



The first Primrose - well, there was another one but that had been almost entirely slug-nobbled and wasn't worthy of a picture . . .


These Snowdrops are growing on the bank by the remains of Annie Stockings' river-side cottage.  I can imagine her planting a few bulbs, which have now spread.  There's a Periwinkle which struggles over everything in season too.



Sun on mossy trees along the river bank.


The bend in the river as it heads away towards Pontargothi.  Just around the bend there used to be an iron bridge where you could cross the river (to visit or leave Holy Trinity church) but this fell into disrepair many years ago and only the metal supports remain.



At Lletty Stud Farm, there was a cherry picker and a man with a chain saw . . .  It was suggested I took a detour through the stable yard to avoid having a branch on my head!



Across the other side of the valley (and river) is Alltyferin, which used to be the home of the Bath family, who imported Copper from South America to be smelted at "Copperopolis" - Swansea. They also imported guano, and exported coal from Swansea docks.



Looking across to Grongar Hill in the distance, the subject of John Dyer's poem.


Cow Parsley in bloom.  In various sheltered spots, I have seen it in bloom pretty well all winter.


All the roadside trees have been cut down up at Lady P's.  I don't know if her farm has been sold, or whether it is just maintenance.

More tomorrow.

12 comments:

  1. What a pleasure and a privilege it must be to walk in such beautiful surroundings BB. I went across the 'A' road and up and over the golf course this afternoon. The sun was out, the sky was pearlescent and there was a bank of fluffy white clouds. Hazel catkins are well advanced here too but even though I looked I saw no celandines in flower. I did pick a posy of snowdrops from the garden though, I adore their slight scent of honey when they come into the warm. Shame to see the trees cut down, hopefully there is a plan. And yes, on our longed-for house move, we've increased our offer this evening so fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed over the house move Sarah.

      At least you have somewhere you can walk from home, and it sounded pretty too. I am sure your celendines will soon be out - in a couple of weeks it will be February, and much nearer SPRING!

      Delete
  2. Three Snowdrops so beautiful but something I will never see.
    Thank You for you wonderful posts so I can walk along with you.

    cheers, parsnip and mandibles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you could buy some Snowdrop bulbs, you could always grow them indoors. I know you live where it IS hot, so they would soon flower and be over, but just for a day or so you would have Snowdrop Magic.

      Delete
  3. I love your new header picture! Just wonderful! Primroses and Snowdrops...sounds like spring is not far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty? I liked the other one, but this is nicer I think.

      I know Primroses and Snowdrops always flower in the winter months but it does make Spring seem not too far away now.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos - I can't remember the last time I saw catkins - most likely about 50 years. I love your posts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So no hazels where you are either? What a shame. I am glad you are enjoying my posts. I'm a bit erratic at the moment, and have lost my flow of words (winter always gets me down!) but I will Try Harder!

      Delete
  5. So enjoyed that walk the first hints of spring. You live in a very beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try not to take it for granted, but I do get fed up with repeating the along the lane walks. I prefer to walk through woodland or on beaches, but those sort of walks involve a drive. The first hints of spring always cheer folk up.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful walk and lovely to see the first signs of Spring. I haven't seen any snowdrops in flower yet but we have wild primroses flowering in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there will be some out at Baddesley Clinton. Good to hear that your wild Primroses are wearing happy faces.

      Delete