Saturday 30 June 2018

A few changes in the garden


Here is Litchfield Angel finally planted and very happy to be so too!  It took me an age to get all the invasive roots of one particular garden thug out and they are still there, under the black membrane, creeping towards the light!


Near the front gate, where my little intake plot is, two more tubbed roses finally got planted - Raubritter to the left and Tuscany Superb.  I've also been weeding back along the path.  I won't use weedkiller, so this is always a laborious long job.


By the apple trees, is a very pot-bound shrub (name forgotten) which my friend Annie's daughter Lizzie bought me when we took her to Hay.  I had been intending to take it with me of course, but now I shall just take the ceramic planter it was in - which has a bee on it, in honour of Annie, who was a very good bee-keeper.


Back in the stoney Aquilegia garden, Teasing Georgia is now planted, and various Cowslips removed to make room for her.


Finally, a little progress in the former vegetable plot.  You can see you slightly darker rows - those are peas.  I hope I have kept them moist enough to germinate properly.  I watered them three times today to make sure.  There is a threat of thunderstorms and heavy rain in the next 24 hours, so that might give me a day off my watering duties.

K has since cut down the Himalayan Balsam at the back and done some more clearing up that end, bless him.  We're getting there . . .

8 comments:

  1. I so miss being able to garden. Hard work but so therapeutic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. I see you have appointed an excellent Head Gardener, however!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy, I hope this means that you are well and truly on the mend. Does that upright stone in the first photograph have a story to tell - or is it just A N old stone?! I wish I had your ability to remember all the names - mine go by "pink thing", "smelly rose" and "watch that one, it's vicious"!

    Fingers crossed you get your rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, just A.N. Old Stone, but put there with a nod to the Ancestors! I am quite good at remembering my rose names - but I go a bit absent-minded when I am trying to think of some of the herbaceous ones. We had a vicious rose to plant today ("Tess of the D'Urbervilles") but she didn't put up too much of a fight, I'm glad to say.

    I'm sort of better, but get blips now and again (like this evening). As I am getting up early every day and keeping busy, after about 12 hours I have to crash and snooze on the sofa.

    We had rain, but not as prolonged or heavy as we could have done with and we are back to temps in the high 80s again tomorrow . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your planting is moving right along. Great job.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jackie, I can only do a bit each day, when it is cooler. However, we have some cloud cover today so I hope to get the last two roses in big tubs in the ground. With a bit of help from Keith.

      Delete
  6. Another beautiful heading picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's the view from the top of the hill going towards Horeb. Black Mountain with the two flat tops of Pen-y-Fan and Corn du in the distance.

      Delete