Wednesday 20 June 2018

A more positive day - and New Plants


My best buddy Ghengis keeping an eye on proceedings out in the garden.  He's been with us a few years now and got his name from being an absolute "barsteward" to the other cats when he arrived - attacking everyone and generally being a Bully and a Thug.  His alternative name was "Moonface" because he had great big eyes and the round padded face of a tom-cat.  I never thought I would tame him (he was completely feral) let alone him wanting to be my lap cat all the time.  The minute I sit down on the sofa, Ghengis is there, climbing up from the side and walking over my cup of tea or cold drink so I have to quickly move it before he drags his tail through it!  It took him two years to learn to purr, but now he purrs like a grampus, bless him.

He was watching me potter round briefly this afternoon, arranging some plants that had begged to come home with me.  These are the last, I will be Good Now . . .  


Isn't this gorgeous?  I just couldn't resist it when I saw it at Tesco today.  Primula Noverna "Deep Blue" - the flowers have a hint of purple and that lovely silvery "mob cap" top.


This is Salvia "Love and Wishes" which I'd not seen before either (Tesco again).  They were £5 each, but the OH said go for it, so I did.


Above and below: tubs and new plants either side of steps up to the patio.  The two Lavender plants I got yesterday and today and will go in nice tubs when I find some.


As you can tell, I am feeling a lot more chipper this afternoon.  My breathing has been better and I'm keeping to the low histamine grub.  I discovered that Lidl do tasty Chilli and Lime Sweet Potato crisps today - not entirely without sin, but then neither am I!


The most swiftly-made Elderflower handcream in history.  Melt two packets of lard gently, add enough elderflower heads to be totally covered, cook gently for a few minutes, strain and decant into containers with a few drops of a smelly essential oil (I used Ylang Ylang).  Brilliant for those cracked finger ends in winter.  You can of course use the base of your choice - my lard one is the original recipe and probably 100 years old.  It is easily absorbed into the skin.


"Tess" had dropped several flower heads today and rather than compost them, I decided to microwave-dry them and use them either in hand-made soap (I WILL eventually make it) or just as pot pourri with some essential oil sprinkled on. I placed the petals individually across a double sheet of kitchen towel, making sure to discard any petals which had started to brown (they would only get browner).  I gave them about a minute and a half, and then a short burst more if they needed it.  Smaller petals give one minute and then perhaps 30 secs but be guided by how they are.

14 comments:

  1. Its good to read that you are feeling better! It doesn't sound like you are easing gently into 'doing'--so hard to pace ourselves.
    Growing things in pots and tubs is becoming more appealing to me with each passing season.
    I love your steps with Lady's Mantle frothing out of bounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, pacing myself. Yup, I do have problems with that! Says she, who was gardening at 7 a.m. this morning because she couldn't sleep. Tubs are definitely easier to care for than big herbaceous borders. The Lady's Mantle looks gorgeous at the moment but I cut it right back once it's flowered or it would be wall to wall here!

      Delete
  2. I love the informality of your pots BB - so much better than carefully planted ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Informal - that's me. Bung it - I cook in the same way too! I like naturalistic plantings - never been one for big shrub borders or straight lines. I like the cottage garden look (complete with weeds at this time of year, which is sending me NUTS, looking out on it and having to stay inside.) Worst of grass pollen should be over now though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tip on how to dry those petals - another little thing Frankie can have some fun with, she is still deeply into her flowers right now. Ghengis is a handsome chap, a fur ball filled with love for his human.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also call him "Bagpuss" as he is a bit saggy round the middle, bless him. He really DOES love me and is my little shadow. A friend of mine once said the tom cats you take in and have neutered, always seem so grateful for being adopted and not having to fight for territory or hunt for every meal any more. I hope Frankie has fun with her petal drying. If you have a Dehydrator, I am sure you could do them in there too. I couldn't be bothered to get mine out.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous close up of Ghengis. Polly does the walking over lap thing,and I have to do the moving cup out of the way thing too!
    Good to hear you are feeling better and out being busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a funny old stick and NEVER jumps straight up but comes round by the scenic route! He and Polly sound alike in their habits. I am feeling better (but puffing this morning as I come down off the steroids). I feel brighter in myself though and knowing that the worst of the grass pollen season is now behind me has cheered me up.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you are feeling a little better. I love the new primula and your pots are lovely. Thanks for the rose petal tip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I RR. It was such an unusual colour and I just had to have it. My pots are never the standard plantings, just things I like to grow.

      Delete
  6. Glad you are feeling a bit more chipper. The blue Primula is a great colour. Love that you make your own hand cream and what a fab idea to put the flower head into soap.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou - it is so frustrating watching the garden go to pot and not really being able to be outside for long at all. Plus being awake half the night! I now have to go into the Junk Room and look for my soap making stuff . . .

      Delete
  7. Great looking cat ... and flowers too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thinks he is very handsome too! I love my garden this year - last year I struggled because it was a wet summer - indeed, it's been a wet summer for the last 10years or so!!

      Delete