Friday 1 June 2018

Negatives and Positives and Histamines


Sorry for the older photo, but I've not had the camera out since I took some garden photos.  We have been out and about, and it has been in my bag, but no opportunities to take photos as I was driving, or - as on Thursday when we got to the scenic bits, rain of Biblical proportions proceeded to fall and we had to pull off the road as you couldn't SEE the road ahead, which had turned into a river . . .  The powers that be got the weather forecast right on THAT day!

It's a shame, as the countryside is at its best at this time of year, though the Cow Parsley is starting to go over now, to be replaced by swathes of Ox Eye daisies - the masses down the central reservation of the A40 dual carriageway beyond Carmarthen are stunningly beautiful, which means the Council will soon go into overdrive and decimate the lot - spending our council tax to employ umpteen men, lorries, signs and closing down half the road to clear what is a thing of great natural beauty and an asset to the county.  Council bods NEVER see it like that - they want urban lawns everywhere and a Costa Coffee chain on every large roundabout (this is fast coming to pass.)


This is proving to be a funny old year - lots of negatives, some of them socking great big ones, like suddenly finding we have to take our house off the market (well, getting rid of the agent and deciding it's best to have a break because of walls to be done inside). Upside of that: we have time to get things updated, finished, altered.  Finding out it was going to cost over £2,000 to put in planning application to change the access driveway.  Then a friend from the Fairs turns out to be a retired architect and has offered to do the plan for us, gratis, and I discover that because I have a degree in Archaeology, I am more than qualified to carry out the HUGE stumbling block, the Heritage Statement, which was going to cost us £1,250 if you please.  So I have started working on that now.

Now, healthwise, with my asthma, I have really been struggling.  I had a big blip in May when poor air quality ("toxic smog" they called it) was stagnant over our part of Wales, combined with a hot spell and a complete explosion of tree pollen, which I had never been allergic to before.  Mind you, the problem could mainly have been the toxic smog.  That called for steroids.

Then recently my asthma took another sudden downturn and nothing I have been doing seemed to help it at all until I ended up yesterday morning, waking at 3.45 a.m. yet AGAIN, needing my asthma inhalers even sooner. They are meant to last for 12 hours, but it had been getting an hour less, and then 2 hours, and I had gone back on another course of steroids to try and resolve it, without any improvement in peak flow levels.  I was in a bad place yesterday morning, maxed out on all my medications and still struggling, plus feeling very shakey, with heart palpitations, dizziness (all the drug combination hitting at once I guess). All I could see in the future was COPD and the end game of COPD which doesn't bear thinking about.

Anyway, from this horrid place has come a little . . . positivity.  I have long been aware which things I need to avoid to prevent a worsening of my asthma - giving up alcohol because of the sulphites in it; trying to avoid motorway travel where possible (not possible on Thursday) because of the sulphitey diesel particulates in the air from the heavies; cleansing fruit I cannot peel because of the ghastly sprays everything is covered in, eating only fresh meat and not having too many leftovers; having fresh fish only and trying not to have prawns or anchovies, which I love etc .  I usually avoid peaches and nectarines because they are sprayed, but really fancied a fresh peach last week - and peeled it, ate and enjoyed it, and then had a BIG hit in the lungs, so the spray had obviously got into the flesh of the fruit.  I don't have dried apricots or dried fruit for the same reason, although the dark (expensive!) Hunza apricots are ok.  

I then had a lightbulb moment when I was reading a recently-bought cookery magazine which was talking about hayfever - and recommending Haymax which is a balm (natural ingredients) for applying to nostrils and the eye orbit to catch pollen - it prevents up to a third of the pollen going into your body.  That seems to help.  In the same article, they mentioned Histamine levels.  Now, this was the real lightbulb moment as for a good while I tried to eat foods which were low in histamines, and avoiding the - many - which are high.  I did this for a couple of months, but found it very restrictive and at the time I wasn't aware that it was hugely helpful and a GP friend and also my Asthma Nurse still felt the only way to go was to increase medication to control symptoms.  It's difficult to argue with the professionals, though I would like to think stopping the symptoms happening in the first place is the way to go.

Anyway, I am revisiting it again and have been trying to avoid anything really high in Histamines this week.  Yesterday was a revelation as I really DID reduce the levels in my body and all of a sudden my asthma improved radically in the evening and I felt so much better, and I could BREATH again.  So, I have blown the dust off my Kindle and found the E-book I bought from the lady (Yasmina Ykelamstam) whose FB blog I have followed, and and am following again now. There is nothing to be lost, and everything to be gained.  I have hope again.  I think the "biggie" to drop is tomatoes as they are members of the Nightshade family (along with potatoes, aubergines etc).  I eat a LOT of tomatoes and cook with them all the time.  I will see what happens when I abandon them.

So, off to town in a while, with a shopping list of fresh ingredients such as Buckwheat flour, Spelt flour, Chia seeds, Hazlenuts, Ricotta and Feta cheeses.  I need more Quercetin capsules too - those have been noticably beneficial - as has Vitamin D (that makes a real difference after I've taken it, or missed it).  Supper tonight is going to be Lentil Dhal with brown rice and veg.

Thanks for your forbearance as I witter on . . .

21 comments:

  1. Do you wear glasses? I know someone who started wearing sunglasses all the time and that helped hay fever, I know Asthma is on a totally differnt level but when you said about the stuff that catches the pollen reminded me of the sunglasses.

    When you think about tomatoes being a member of a poisonous family of plants its surprising we eat them at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only to drive Sue, but then when I'm driving I have to have the windows open a bit - so pollen gets blown in - as it gets very airless in the car, even with the A/C on. 6 of one and half a dozen of the other really. It's surprising we DO eat these "poisionous" plants - I thought about that as I picked up a bag of baby potatoes today . . . I will only have a couple of wee ones though.

      Delete
  2. Glad you are finding some relief and I pray you will have more as you change diet, etc.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to see how it goes Lorraine. It's difficult to eat really well when we're out and about - I'll take cheese and home-made bread or some oat biscuits from home if I'm organized. Otherwise it's a grab a sandwich from the supermarket moment! I have to retrain my tastebuds to accept green and bitter as the new sugar though!!!

      Delete
  3. I think a good deal can be accomplished with dietary changes--the question for me is always which current information out there is really useful? I have friends who are vegetarians, some who are vegans, some who only use organic produce--or various combinations of the above. If we have to prepare meals for a family member with a 'cast iron stomach' or no interest in 'healthier' eating, the food issues are compounded.
    I'm not on any meds but this has to be a huge quandary--stopping them all could be devastating--and yet, as you are so aware--increasing doses is a frightening dependency. I had to take a prescription allergy medication one summer years ago--I wasn't even safe to drive while taking it.
    We can't escape the pollutants that have to be affecting all of us--I suspect 'weed control' sprays have a large impact--not merely on the weeds. Yes--it seems to take a great many 'road workers' to accomplish simple tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with me Sharon. It will CERTAINLY do my waistline some good and hopefully I will lose the weight I keep threatening to try and lose, especially when I can start walking again. As I am not hard and fast as to NOT eating something, hopefully I wouldn't be too onerous a guest should the occasion arise. I always used to say I had a cast iron stomach, but these days I know otherwise.

      You are so right about the frightening dependency on increasing medicine doses. I am coming off the steroids now and hope to be in a place to reduce one of my inhaler doses in a few days, but it depends on the pollen really. So at the moment, I am looking how full my histamine bucket is and hoping I can keep it half empty at least.

      Delete
  4. I have COPD. Taking steroids every time I had a flare up led to my bones crumbling and I now have medicines for Osteopenia. Interesting what you say about diet. But its too late for me. So I do drink red wine! I walk everyday with my lovely chariot and do pulmonary physio exercises every other. Trying to think positive gets harder. Good luck with your new regime. I am waiting a visit to the consultant to see if there are any new drugs for me to worry about side effects......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just popped across to your blog, and have left comments on there. I LOVE your art work - you are very talented.

      Delete
  5. Hi justjill. Having a diagnosis of COPD is not good. Nor are crumbling bones. Sorry you have Osteopenia too. I try and avoid the steroids as much as possible, but in June I do get bad. I am hoping the dietary change "may" help long term. I hope your visit to the Consultant is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really is a great saving on the planning application!
    Goodness, but you are suffering. I hope all the dietary adjustments work to great effect, speedily. Interesting reading, by the way.

    Supper sounds delicious, my kind of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have to hope they will accept it (perhaps with revisions) but I shall do the best job I can. I have my fingers crossed I can get my asthma under control again soon and that the pollen season for me is over early this year.

      Delete
  7. People who have never experienced hay fever have no idea just how debilitating it is BB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was bad when I had the streaming nose and itchy eyes Pat - I don't get those symptoms any more, I just have a worsening of my asthma. At least when my nose ran, I knew how bad the pollen was and could stay indoors. Now the first thing I know is when my inhalers don't work so well. Still, worse things happen at sea, as they say.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear you have had a bad week, I hope the new diet helps someway to alleviating your symptoms, it is not fun to have hay fever and asthma. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am hoping I will start improving now, though today was a test - at a car boot sale all morning and then a long drive home with pollen bombarding me through the open windows. I shall know later . . .

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear there's some improvement...I was watching a huge cloud of pine pollen move across our back garden yesterday....
    Have had TWO cases of grass colic this week from my one horse plus and unidentified cause of lameness in a hind leg...not a good week here, either. And I worry about COPD, too...
    On the upside, I found a darling antique dollhouse that I thought was a reasonable price...hubby has NOT seen it...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynda. Early days yet but I have my fingers x'd. I wish pollen was day-glo and then I'd know when the weather pundits got it right. Sorry to hear about your two cases of colic AND the lameness. That's your 3 bad things though, so hopefully you can move on now. I take it you're asthmatic as well.

      Oh, an antique dollshouse - I come across quite a few in the trade but so far have resisted temptation! What will your husband's reaction be do you think ?

      Delete
  10. I am sorry your asthma is causing you so much distress. I have a friend who changed her diet and that seemed to help.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping so too Jackie, but with the pollen levels so high at the moment and still coming off the steroids, it's hard to tell for sure.

      Delete
  11. I have tried to comment 3 times so here goes... I gave up all nightshades for 6 months but it really didn't change how I felt but I have the same reaction. I only eat tomatoes and eggplant just a few times a year and only if I am feeling good. I will plan for it.
    One of my problems is Valley Fever, when the dust blows on summer and picks up the spores with the expanding ones in my lungs .... painfull. Then the fibromyalgia kicks in.

    I hope the improvement will keep up and your asthma gets better.
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather hoping that the nightshades don't make a difference, as I love tomatoes. Valley Fever sounds horrid, and the knock-on effect with the Fibro even worse. From what I was reading, histamaine levels can make fibro worse. So many things seem to be inter-connected.

      I am enjoying life anyway, which is what counts, even if it is with a bit of a breathing "limp"!

      Delete