Saturday 18 August 2018

St Dogmael's Abbey

For Sue - my Marble Cake :


As you can see Sue, it wouldn't have won any prizes because it rose in the middle, but it tastes pretty good!  I think my mum used to just combine the two in one bowl at the end, stir once or twice and then put it in the tin, and it came out with chocolate swirls.  I "layered" mine.


Now on to St Dogmael's . . .


It dates back to the 6th C, but nothing remaining of that building.  This was the Infirmary.  These venerable old buildings of course, fell into disrepair after the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII. He had a lot to answer for.  I think he had a lot of explaining to do if he headed up to the Pearly Gates.  You can just imagine St Peter's line of questioning can't you?!!!


I think the holes in the wall here are the putlog holes, as they are far too small for timbers to support floors.  Putlog holes reflect where the scaffolding went when it was being built.





The end wall of the Infirmary, showing structural weakness from water getting between the stones and then being frozen and causing this damaging crack.  It would appear to start from the inset in the wall which would have held the main roof timber originally.  


Steps to nowhere, but originally to the West Range.


In its time it would have been very impressive.  It was originally built by the Tironensian Order who came from France, and this was their only house in Wales.  Most of their others were in Scotland.  They became part of the Benedictines in the 17th C.



A lovely patch of wild flowers had been sown, and the insects and butterflies loved it.


We just made the Flour Mill before it shut for lunch and we bought 4 bags of Stoneground Flour (2 granary and 2 wholemeal) plus a bag of Oatmeal.  I love water mills and always feel so at home there.


Above and below: the flour as it has been ground by the millstones comes out through this little chute.



Finally some of the scenery of the Preselis.  The following photos were taken on the way up towards Cardigan, and are in sequence. Back with a couple more (long) posts about St Dogmael's later.




15 comments:

  1. How I enjoyed this going back forty years in my life BB to the days when we used to holiday near here and often ate a picnic in the grounds. Don't remember lovely patches of wild flowers then though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the wild flowers were only sewn in the past couple of years, as similar projects have sprung up across Wales (sometimes in the centre of roundabouts, which is lovely.)

      I am so glad I keep bringing back memories for you.

      Delete
  2. Your cake is much better than mine so it would have taken top prize! Looks delicious.
    Lovely photos, I can't remember the abbey bit at all yet remember the mill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks great, so does that plate, the books too, of course!!
    Ruins always fascinate me, so many lives lived within those walls, the prayers, the meals, etc. Lovely that the watermill is still working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOURS won the prize though Sue, and mine had a peak in the middle (where there must have been several bits of Mars Bar at the top, heading for freedom. ) Try yours with layers next time. The flavour is the main thing and I bet yours tasted good.

    Glad you enjoyed the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like my little old fashioned random plates, Elaine. The backdrop for the cake is my office - one wall of archaeology and some history books.

    I wish the walls of ruins could talk too. Some of the stories they could tell would be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would volunteer to take down notes - and I wouldn't grumble about the hours spent typing them up, either!

      Delete
  6. Fascinating. Really interesting. Mouth watering photo of cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake does taste quite nice, though I just had the one piece and Tam and boyfriend have the rest. Glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful walk. Ruins have always interested me so I will look this up.
    Lovely post today and the cake looks wonderful.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a lovely old ruin. We have been there a few times down the years. Glad you enjoyed the post - more to come.

      Delete
  8. Hi Simon, yes of course. You might clock a few miles up getting here though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an interesting post - I loved reading about the abbey and its history. Your comment about Henry VIII made me chuckle :) The cake looks delicious whenever I read about what you have been cooking I get the urge to go in the kitchen and start baking :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that I did persuade you to bake a cake. I will put the recipe up this week. Glad you enjoyed the post. There is more to come.

    ReplyDelete