Tuesday 9 October 2018

A lovely old cookery book

Firstly, the new header is a photo taken across the lake at the National Botanic Gardens of Wales at the weekend.  So pretty.  One of these days we will go and explore properly, but it was very busy both days this time and hard to get away.

Morning all.  I was up early and baking Raspberry and White Chocolate Muffins to take to a meet-up with friends this morning.  They look SO good and I have had to walk myself away from them for fear of checking to see if they turned out well (my excuse anyway!!)  It is nice not to be racing around today.  We're going to go and harvest some more apples shortly - the smallest ones will go to friends who have smallholdings with pigs on.  

I have torn myself away from the Elly Griffiths novel I found in a Cardigan charity shop yesterday - one of only two of hers I've not read: "Smoke and Mirrors" which is a departure from her archaeologist heroine, and set in Brighton in 1951.  Good so far.

On Sunday morning, before our Fair opened, we popped down to have a mooch around the car boot sale as we usually do.  On a friend's stall, I found a lovely little cookery book from the Edwardian period.  ELAINE - this is right up your street!!  



The boy's suit below really dates the book (though I thought they were Norfolk Jackets and not Suffolk ones).





The Phillipine pudding sounds tasty.



I chose this page for the Devonshire Apple Cake - which is pretty well the same as a Dorset Apple Cake.




This final entry has me smiling : )  What a wag Mr A.W.S. was!!  As for cosy socks from old felt hats, if I had any old felt hats I'd be tempted to make a pair!

17 comments:

  1. I love old cookbooks and they are quite costly on eBay. How to boil water. Now that is funny. Donna @ Gather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna. I have a soft spot for them too. I'm glad you know how to boil water now - priceless!!

      Delete
  2. What a great find! I would be spending many happy hours reading it
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi KJ - I will copy a few more pages tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Ah, your new header picture is gorgeous. I would love to go with you when you go exploring there, but... Really, those old cookbooks are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it pretty Chip? As I said, one of these days we will actually get to explore properly but we are always setting up/standing/packing up, though in a quiet moment on Saturday we both had a chance to have a wander round the other stalls.

      Delete
  4. What a great find the cookery book is. My son insisted on bringing mum's recipe folder when we were clearing the house. Love the new header photo. I'm reading The Zigzag Girl at the moment by Elly Griffiths - suspect it is in the same series as Smoke and Mirrors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the Zig Zag girl is the other one I've not read, and is the Stephens and Mephisto one too. Glad you have your mum's recipe folder. I still have one of my mum's - rather dated now, and makes me smile as she was never a great one to actually FOLLOW a recipe, as her mum (who was a brilliant cook) knew her recipes off by heart and didn't refer to her recipe book! Glad that the new header appeals to you too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful header, I do have a small collection of vintage cookery books myself, perhaps I will do a post about them sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like the header too LS. I'd love to hear about your vintage cookery books - I expect some will be car boot bargains, as mine are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah can't beat an old cookery book. I have my mum's copy of Mrs Beeton's All About Cookery which my dad gave to her on their first wedding anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to have your mum's Mrs Beeton. A lovely first wedding anniversary gift too. I shall dig into this one some more for you all . . .

      Delete
  8. This is a wonderful find! Old and worn, the best kind of cookery book. Is there an introduction to how they gathered the recipes together? I suppose I am wondering about how they came to have the fun ones in there. I hope you will find time to do another post on it some time...

    Love the header. Must dash, I need to get that thick lentil soup made.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elaine - I hope that the thick lentil soup was very filling! There is no real introduction to the book - I suspect you had to be a local to own a copy, as it doesn't even say the town but as it was a collection of "well-tried recipes" issued by Cambray Baptist Church I assume the congregation were the main clientele. I liked the fun ones, and they obviously had some lovely chaps in their congregation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun, I need to look up parmeson is in the tomato cutlets.

    cheers, parsnip and bdger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's meant to be Parmesan (as in cheese) parsnip - that's perhaps a typo or how they spelt it in Edwardian times.

      Delete
  11. opps ! iwinston is upset... badger

    ReplyDelete