Saturday 27 October 2018

Saturday catch-up


Yesterday we had to drive to Wotton-under-Edge, where we had bought a couple of lots at auction.  It's our favourite auction (though expensive, as lots of competition for the often wonderful lots on offer.) Anyway, we use buying a few things as an excuse for a day out, as well as doing business.

It's a long rive though - about 100 miles on the motorway (M4 and M5) and then off at junction 14 and into Wotton, which is a lovely old town on the edge of the Cotswolds.  As Keith is waiting for a cataract operation (though he can still drive fine, with his specs on), and he still has his frozen shoulder, I do the bulk of the driving - it was split yesterday 195 miles (me) and 40 miles (him). . . We always break the journey at Waitrose in Abergavenny on the way home, as we don't go back via the motorway, but go across country via Gloucester edges, Forest of Dean, Monmouth, Abergavenny and the A40 back home past Brecon.


Top photo and above: views from the auction car park.


One shop had thought "Sod Halloween" and gone straight into Christmas mode . . .



Many of the buildings have ancient stone roof tiles - this is the roof on Tesco!


Another lovely old building with a stone-tiled roof - this is The Edge where we go for lunch.  It's always busy and they do a great selection of lunchtime offerings.  I just had a bottle of Pomegranate and Elderflower fizz and Keith had his usual bacon sandwich (toasted) and Earl Grey Tea.  I then shot across the road, to the bakers I had seen Jamaican Lentil slices and gosh, one of those hit the spot.

We always do a trawl of the (usually excellent) Charity shops.  I got a novel (downstairs so I can't remember the title) set in the period post Flodden.  I also got a beautiful hand-embroidered tablecloth for a vintage Fair I'm doing soon (in wash), and a couple of other things . . . see bottom of page.


Above and below: this is the Tolsey Building with its famous clock.  The building was given to the town by the Countess of Warwick around 1600.  It was used as a Court House and has a cellar beneath it.  The clock reminds the town of Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.    HERE is a link to more history about the architecture of Wotton (pronounced Wooton).




More beautiful period buildings at the top end of town.

These are the Almshouses at Tabernacle Pitch, built c. 1815 in memory of the Rev. Rowland Hill. Just around the corner behind them are the church and schoolroom where the auction is held.



Another wobbly picture - looking across the town behind the Almshouses.


On the way home we stopped in the Forest of Dean to take our jackets off and have a drink of water.  I have always smiled at this sign and thought what a wonderful postal address!!


Finally, two more Charity Shop bargains - Hugh's book from 2014, which I didn't have, was priced at £3.  Below are a big pair of curtains (pink Hydrangeas) measuring 60" x 80" each curtain.  The tag said "need washing" - they obviously thought they were spoiled as they had been at a patio door and rain had been blown in, leaving some brown stains in places.  However, I Googled how to remove the stains, and apparently white vinegar (I had plenty) in cold water would do the trick - and it did - AND gave me a spotless kitchen sink afterwards.  They've been through the washing machine on a cold wash since and partly-dried on the line.  I think I got a real bargain as they were just. . . £10!!!  The material is £34 a metre and I've worked out there must be 8 metres at least, plus lining and header tape.







Finally, my "downstairs reading" at the moment.  Not read him before but will definitely look out for his 10 other books!

Right, bath time calls.

13 comments:

  1. Hi BB sounds as though you had a really lovely day out and about and found some good finds as well. Love those Hydrangea curtains they look lovely. Reminds me of a boot fair I went to about 9 years ago. Came away with some massive curtains (which had obviously been made to order as they were so long in the Rose and Peony Design by Sanderson. I paid £12 and got another standard pair at £6. Both fully lined. Sometimes if I am after fabric for things I buy the curtains and then re-purpose. It can work out cheaper doing this in the long run and you never know quite what you are going to find. Catch you soon. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Sanderson pattern is one I used to long for, but as Keith doesn't "do" wallpaper, I know I am never going to get my Roses and Peony wall . . . Did you ever use the fabric you got? What a bargain.

      Delete
    2. I have added to the fabric stash since then. My front room has been a raspberry colour for quite some time - I love the colour but the wallpaper we have at the moment is about had it although it has been patched up a few times. I thought if I got the chance before Christmas would source some new plainish raspberry coloured paper and then as the peony and roses curtains have this colour in it would blend. As I already have lots of other its in this colourway it would be a shame not to put them to use. You know what I am like I collect things from all over with an idea in my minds eye and then blend them all together. The large curtains are in storage but I have a couple of other pairs that should fit that I had bought for the fabric. None of it will go to waste. I also have some vintage mats cloths etc which have the same colourway and I intend to turn them into some very different cushion covers at some point. I have some of the Rose and Peony fabric to back them with as well. Can you pm me as I have an idea for you and your unit that might encourage some of the crafters. Take care. Tricia x

      Delete
  2. Lovely curtains, what a bargain. Beautiful place you visited. Enjoyed.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jill. They would fit our bedroom window - but having just painted the room blue, pink hydrangeas not a good match! Wotton is a lovely little town and the folk there are so friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did nothing today and feel very guilty about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't. It is good to rest your body/mind and then you renew your energy. I don't rest anything like enough - there's always a long list of "fings to do" . . .

      Delete
  5. The curtain fabric is lovely. I am glad you managed to get out the stains. I love those roof tiles, we don't have anything like that here on the prairies of Canada. Fake slate yes, real slate or stone not so much.

    Jo Nesbo is a very good writer.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - it would have been such a waste otherwise. The stone roof tiles are lovely - you get them on old Welsh buildings too (we found the remains of one which was the roof here once, but now it's ordinary North Wales slate). I like it when I stumble across a good new writer.

      Delete
  6. Love the Christmas shop window, love the coloured Almshouses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lou. It was a really good Christmas window (pair) I have to say. The wee Elves were climbing up and down the ladder! The Almshouses are in a lovely situation overlooking the town.

      Delete
  7. This post was just full of wonderful photos. Thank You so much.

    cheers, parsnip and badger

    ReplyDelete