Saturday 3 August 2019

Meet Bombus bohemicus (I think!) - or possibly Bombus sylvarum (Shrill Carder Bee)


I spotted this very unusual black and white bumblebee in the garden yesterday.  It was NOT at all co-operative about having its photo taken and the minute I got close enough to focus on it, off it buzzed, in a very fast straight line to the far side of the paddock.  The nearest thing to it I could find was the Bombus bohemicus (Gypsy's Cuckoo Bumblebee) but I have just found some further photos and mine has no golden parts on it at all. I will update you when I find out what it is.  Update:  it "may" be a female Shrill Carder Bee - Bombus sylvarum (which has been recorded in South Wales).  Yet - mine has a white rear end and the Shrill Carder Bee apparently has a gingery one . . .  I shall try and send a photo off to the powers that be in the Bumblebee world . . .





This poor Dragonfly has hatched out in our main pond today, but looks to have one missing wing, and one which won't unfurl and it cannot fly.  I suspect it will soon be dead/eaten, which is a shame.  It must have been damaged inside the pupae.


Flowers from the garden today to brighten up the hall.


Above and below: my two dressers with some extra bits added (that includes Alfie!!)



First Painted Lady of the year on the Teasels - she was there much of yesterday and today too, keeping the piebald Bumblebee company.


Finally, a better sort of stir fry, with courgettes fresh from the garden, plus peppers, pak choi, tiny cherry tomatoes, red onion and mixed wholegrains.  This one was allowed a small sprinkling of Soy Sauce to make it palatable.

Yawning now. Another early night needed.

12 comments:

  1. I have not seen a Bumble Bee like that before - very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very striking. He's been about on and off all day today on the Teasels.

      Delete
  2. We have the Arizona Bee and I love them even when I am allergic.
    Love your dinner and the beautiful dish.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dinner was nice - and healthy! Must check out the Arizona bee now . . .

      Delete
  3. Very unusual Bee - not in my insect book although it's not a very good book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in mine either, and nothing exactly like it on the net. Someone said it's a Common Mining Bee but it seems too white for that.

      Delete
  4. I have never seen a bee like that. I can hardly wait to see what kind you found.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dressers look sumptuous. I did a vegetable/rice dish the other day, added soy sauce and sweet chilli sauce which was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them anyway, which is all that counts. The Sweet Chilli sauce I can eat (I need to get some in) - it's the Soy I have problems with hence only miniscule amounts.

      Delete
  6. The Bee is wonderful - hope you get a positive id. Looking at a bumble bee book I have it looks most like Shrill Carder Bee but as you say without the ginger tail!

    Your dressers look wonderful and so pleased Painted Lady have reached you. I finally saw my first of the year last week too :)

    ReplyDelete