Wednesday 29 January 2020

A Sunny Walk

Well, I wished for summer and I did at least awake to sunshine today, so I made the most of it and walked up the hill this morning.  Here are some photos as proof!!  :


The 2nd - and steeper - part of our hill.  This one has a VV marked on the map to denote steepness.  (I think it must stand for Very Very steep!!!)


A very misty view across the Towy Valley, and a barely visible Dryslywn Castle at the very back  (that hill!)


I would have liked to walk past the old farm, which I used to ride by up to the Canter Field.  However, they have always had a motley crew of dogs running loose, and last time I went by I thought I would be bitten, so I have avoided this route (it's a there and back again one anyway).  Perhaps armed with a stout stick I may try it again . . .


Looking towards Pantglas in the far distance.


A flourishing Cow Parsley in the ditch.  I saw my first Daffodils in bloom near Cwrt Henry today too!  That IS early.


More milky distant views across the Towy Valley with wooded Grongar Hill just visible in the centre (John Dyer wrote a poem about it).  Here's a link, but me warned, Dyer goes on a bit . . . If you are intending to learn a poem a week to keep your brain active, this is not a good one to start with!!


Just looking across our valley here.  The little cottage and barn in the foreground is on the hill we drive up to go to Cwrt Henry.


Gorse blooming happily.  The nicest wine I ever had was home made Gorse Wine.  Oh my, it tasted of sunshine and was amazing.



Little pixie cups growing on a damp rail.  I don't know their proper name but they always fascinate me.

Off downstairs now to enjoy a book.  I am glad to report I am sleeping better and feeling more human today and I think that bit of a cold has finally decamped from my sinuses.

17 comments:

  1. A good walk..nice to get a bit of sunshine in winter.
    It's a pity when dogs consider land outside the gate as theirs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did enjoy that sunshine. Territorial dogs - never good on a walk!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are on the up. Great walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back to about 90% I'd say. Warmth would really help - can't feel my hands this morning as I've only just turned the heating on (don't bother when I am downstairs on my own, just put a throw on my lap and layer up with cats!!)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing these photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them. It was a bit misty for views, but it's very pretty round here.

      Delete
  4. That you are feeling better and able to take a walk-about is cheerful news! We are still caught in grey overcast doldrums here--its not particularly cold--but damp and grey gets tiresome.
    You are ahead of us with signs of spring, but I suspect your winter stays greener even than in south-central Kentucky. My roses have most unwisely put forth some new leaves and lilies are poking up shoots.
    I'm re-reading older books when I'm not online working on genealogy--there is comfort in the familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nose/throat better now but no "zing" yet as it's still winter and that always drags me down! It has been a milder wetter winter though - only a couple of frosty nights recently - hence the early spring. I even have water lily leaves coming through in the pond, but no frogs yet.

      Delete
  5. Good to hear you are feeling better. Lovely photos - the pixie cups amazing never seen anything like that before.
    Back to grey here today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Proper Pixie Cups are red and grow on rotting wood on the ground. These are more lichen-like I think, but amuse me all the same.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos of the Welsh countryside and your walk. It had me all nostalgic for our last home in the Vale of Glamorgan. I used to go walking with friends in the Black Mountains. Not sure I could manage the hills now. I am no fungi expert but I did do a weekend foraging course in Mid Wales and I am wondering if your pixie cups are the start of what our guide pointed out as “Jews Ears” fungi. That was the nickname, very politically incorrect, but he did not tell us the botanical name. The ones in the photo towards the left side are more advanced and developing the slightly incurved brown look of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our local hills are an ask, Black Mountain "hills" a no-no! Jew's Ear fungi is much bigger and moister (I used to go on Fungi Forays in Dorset and have always had an interest). These are more lichen-like. Just looked up on line and they are Pixie Cup Lichen!!

      Delete
    2. Anothe bit of knowledge to squirrel away. I’ll look them up later

      Delete
  7. I wish I could do one of your walks with you - I know I would learn a huge amount about plants and wildflowers, as well as enjoying your company of course!
    Your header photograph is a real delight; so many hedges. Many of the fields here look like miniature prairies because their hedges were grubbed up years ago, luckily we do still have some remnants of the ancient ones as well, but not nearly enough.
    Good to know that you are feeling so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been interested in plants since I was 6 years old and I think I was 7 when my dad bought me the Observer's book of Wild Flowers. The header photo turned out well. Shows what happened when Enclosure came to Wales! We are too wet here to grow grain (though I believe they grew oats in the past), but they still grub up hedgerows locally to make bigger fields for cows. I'm glad I'm on the mend again too!

      Delete
  8. I am so glad to hear your are feeling a bit better. The walk looks wonderful with great views and your photos are lovely. I've had that problem with dogs off leads before now and there are certain places I avoid! I once backed into a holly bush to try and escape a couple of snarling vicious looking dogs as there was no sign anywhere of their owner!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to ride past the doggy farm, and the thought of a well-aimed hoof was sufficient deterrent for the dogs (they were a different lot then too). Sorry about your holly-bush moment - the sight of snarling vicious dogs is not a cheerful one!

      Delete