Wednesday 1 January 2020

Before Christmas has entirely left us


Well, we got to the beach today - only had a short walk along the actual beach though as it was pretty wet underfoot where the tide had been really high and was only just retreating.  To our surprise, the car park was crammed with cars - then we noticed burning braziers on the beach, and found out that this was the annual New Year's Day swim.  We had missed it but all I can say is, rather them than me!  I imagine that water was pretty darn cold!

I was thinking of the high spots of Christmas today - not just ours, but other people's Christmases too.  As we were driving home on Christmas Eve I think it was, we passed the new neighbours at the smallholding just across the river.  They had bought some sheep and just as I was driving by I noticed the wife was with the sheep in a pen in their yard, and her husband was taking a photo.  Both were grinning like loons and obviously SO happy.  When I spoke to them recently, he said he wished they had made this move 20 years ago!





Then there was saddest thing I read, a little before Christmas, on a FB post.  It was a couple who had returned the birthday gift of a My Little Pony which had been given to their 4 year old daughter as it was  unsuitable.  (They were English, btw).  They did NOT believe in magic, and she wasn't allowed to see any Disney movies, have stories with magic in them, and My Little Ponies were tainted by magic - apparently.  No, their child was going to grow up in the world of reality, and they had already told her that  Father Christmas did not exist.  She is just 4 years old, for heaven's sake. How despicable to force your beliefs on a wee child and in a way, remove that element that makes childhood special - deleting the "imagination button" and that special magical atmosphere that Christmas brings.  

I can remember my children writing wish lists to Father Christmas and sending them up the chimney.  I used to  show my children "Fairy Forests" of moss, and we had a "fairy glen" in the corner of the paddock.  We read fairy stories, and folk stories connected with the superstitions of yester year.  The girls knew some of the poems for the Cicely Mary Baker Flower Fairies books off by heart (as did I).  They loved Enid Blyton's fairy stories, and when they got older, the works of Tolkien, and Philip Pullman.  They discovered Mythology from many countries, and I considered it part of their education - the girls went on to read Archaeology and Anthropology and you can't escape mythology in either of those subjects.

I can remember Danny coming home from school, aged 5, and telling his older sisters that Father Christmas was just someone dressed up. Tam was 9 then and Gabs 7, and they still believed in Father Christmas.  I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach that their innocent belief should have been destroyed.

So part of me grieves for this little girl, robbed of her innocent hopes and beliefs by her narrow-minded parents.  I hope she still discovers the magic in this world of ours anyway . . .

15 comments:

  1. Awful. I wonder if it was something to do with their religion? I remember years ago as a teaching assistant having to sit with a wee girl not allowed into assembly, kids birthday celebrations et al. Jehovas Witness. Whatever reason denying a child to learn about everything is child cruelty in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did wonder if it was JW's at work. I still think it is wicked.

      Delete
  2. My son in law told the family at our Christmas celebration that this year he had told my grandson that there's no Santa. My grandson is 9 years old and still believed in Santa and cried when his dad told him. My grandson cried and said he didn't believe in the Easter Bunny anymore or the Tooth Fairy, but he sure did think that Santa was real. I almost cried when I heard about this. Son in Law went on to tell the rest of the relatives that he wanted my grandson to know that it was him and my daughter that got all of those gifts for him. They wanted the credit for that, plus they didn't want other kids to make fun of my grandson for still believing in Santa. I zipped my lip, but had to get up and try to get my face away from the group. I didn't want them to see the daggers and tears coming from my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad. I can understandperhaps not wanting other kids to take the mickey because he still believed in Santa, but as for wanting to take credit for the gifts . . . least said, soonest mended . . . (((HUGS))) to you and your grandson.

      Delete
  3. Like you I really think that children should believe in the magic that exists in our world. The perfection of a glorious sunrise, the way a flower opens, and the how a bumblebee can fly when really they shouldn't.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Jackie. Even the magic of a rainbow. The natural world has so much magic.

      Delete
  4. That is so very sad about that poor little girl and as you say so wrong for parents to inflict their beliefs on one so young. My children loved the magic of Tooth Fairies (my daughter still gets a Birthday present from hers - Pansy Moonshine!!), Father Christmas, Elves and Fairies. It is so important to let children develop an imagination and a sense of wonder and curiosity which hopefully will stay with them throughout their lives.
    Interestingly my son is a strict vegetarian but he has always said if he ever did have children he would never bring them up as vegetarians as it is wrong to inflict your beliefs on your children and they should be allowed to make up their own minds on such matters when old enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you and your son - don't inflict your beliefs on your children. I have a friend who has become a vegan and so the whole family has had to follow suit . . . My best friend was pretty well the same (though her children stuck at being vegetarian).

      Delete
  5. She'll probably grow up to become a white witch or something. It would serve the parents right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cruel! If they can't have magic as a child then there is something so wrong. Taking away the magic is taking away their sweet innocence. Children grow up quickly enough without forcing it upon them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, but if JW child, then I'm pretty sure they don't celebrate Christmas do they? How horrid to grow up with all your friends having presents at Christmas and you get nothing.

      Our children seemed to grow up into normal balanced adults, despite having access to magical moments . . .

      Delete
  7. How awful for that child ! Imagination is what makes the wold special.
    How special for your children growing up with all the special treats you showed them the world.
    Daughter is a vegan/vegetarian and has never made any demands on the family. I always make sure there is food that she likes when she comes over but it doesn't bother her what we eat. Of course I never eat a steak in front of her .... Why would I ? Plus I love when she cooks for me ! Best food ever.
    Parents like the ones you wrote about are bat shite crazy.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life should be a balance, but I am guessing if the parents are JH's then there is only one way to live, which seems a terrible shame.

      Your daughter is sensible then, as are you by not offending her by stuffing back steak in front of her!

      Delete
  8. We are more than we appear to be, and the world is more than it appears to be; one may call this magic or spiritual, little matter, really. ( It may be said even that they are the same.) If a parent feels this is all quaff and nonsense, so be it, but the parent does not have the right to impose their belief upon the child. That is ideology, and a form of mental violence. There is much unhappiness in the world because of this.

    I used to be excited out of my mind as a child, before Christmas Day. I don't know when that stopped. Never completely, I think, for even today that day is tinged with awe - the Christmas tree, the Christmas cake ( that's the best part, especially home-made dark fruit cake - yum!), and I am now an old man. And oh, the Queen's Christmas Day Message, of course. . .

    To take a harmless toy from a four-year-old child, because you, the parent, think it is not "appropriate" is odious.

    ReplyDelete