Tuesday 17 March 2020

A strange experience

Yesterday was just like spring here and I was out cracking on with the garden after breakfast.  At the top of the yard, I cleared the area of membrane where we used to have a big plastic (temporary) polytunnel - until it blew away! - and now have the old plastic greenhouse put up there and it has SEEDS sown in there already! Tam has a couple of propogators with Chilli and Pink Russian Tomatoes in, and I have a couple of trays of runner beans and Hunter beans started.  However, today is raining so no outside work being done - which is a shame as being busy yesterday kept anxiety at bay.


Today has been less enjoyable.  We decided to do one final shop, bearing in mind that Keith and I are in the vulnerable group and will be holed up at home for the forseeable future.  I didn't want to go in, but then we don't want to have to get shopping delivered or whatever, once the death toll and spread of the virus escalate.  I am praying that we (Britain) haven't left it too late to take the precautions we are now taking.

Lidl was quiet.  Tesco busier and I couldn't wait to get out.  It was a strange experience - everyone looked so solemn and worried and I was scared to touch anything (not helpful when you need to buy it!!)  Some empty shelving - loo rolls, porridge and potatoes in hot demand.  



12 comments:

  1. Well I went to get some bread flour from our organic shop this morning. She met me at the door, saying only one person at a time in the shop, but relented. We were four waltzing around with a good space between us. Even this expensive shop had empty shelves though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to get some Thelma. I had been stocking up anyway (since before Christmas, but with the idea that weather might keep us indoors). Our little local village shop still has full shelves, but mustn't let ourselves get complacent about germs in there too! yeesh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. My order came from Tesco this morning and all was as it was ordered even the loo rolls. I agree it is so selfish to swipe things off the shelf in great quantities and thus deprive everyone else. People seem to have gone into panic mode unnecessarily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought what would amount to a fortnightly shop, as a top-up. Glad your order was delivered as ordered. There were bare shelves still in Tesco this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder how many are panic buying things they wouldn't normally buy?
    I went to buy flour yesterday. The shelves were bare... except for Spelt and Rye, which is what I bake with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your luck was in then gz. My favourite is the Wessex Mills Oats and Bran flour. I have a few bags in, and a BIG bag of their mixed grain flour, so hopefully will cope. I noticed in Lidl that there were large empty spaces in the freezer area - stuff in breadcrumbs by the look of it, and empty freezer space in Tesco's veg packs.

      Delete
  6. I am hoping my grocery gets some bread flour this week. I never knew that many people baked their own bread! Though of course it could have been people buying it for regular baking not realizing there is a difference.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some folk will get a shock if they try making pastry with bread flour Jackie!! I have been making all my bread at home for the last couple of years - before that it was more hit and miss but the breadmaker means I can just start a loaf off and come back 3 hrs later.

      Delete
  7. Worrying times and I empathise with your anxiety. We tried to do an online shop but the earliest available is end of March! Like you I gritted my teeth yesterday and did a food shop but Sainsbury's had sold out of so much stuff - no toilet roll (predictable!) no bread, no long life milk, no pasta or rice, hardly any tins, not much fresh fruit and veg or even meat!, no soap at all. I couldn't wait to get out as it was so much busier than usual :( Stay safe and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know - it's an unpleasant experience, when you don't know who may be affected in a crowd of shoppers - and what did they TOUCH?! I'm being totally OCD about shopping contaminated with germs right now, and if you'd seen me washing a pack of cheese with soap and water earlier on you'd have thought I'd totally lost the plot!!

    Sorry you weren't able to get the items you needed - perhaps smaller privately owned shops may still have stock left - I know our local community shops have here.

    Stay safe too RR.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It must be so worrying to go out and about when you are in the vulnerable group. I really don't understand who is buying so much from the supermarkets, I am glad to hear that you were able to get all that you needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greedy people. A friend overheard people bragging at the shops of how they had bought a new fridge and stuffed it full of food. My husband said that shops were saying how many freezers they had sold too . . . Hopefully when no-one can stuff any more in their houses, things may calm down a bit.

      Delete