Friday 20 March 2020

Some Fresh Air at Dryslwyn Castle (1)


I have had a pleasant day today.  I've done some hand-sewing and finished the 3rd edging strip for the muchly hand-sewn quilt I am making.  I'll put a reminder photo up tomorrow.  Now I need to finish piecing the three stars for the last border and I can get that stage finished.  I have also fossicked around for some different craft work and found some wool and a few pages of a piece-work crochet blanket so I have got my brain into gear on that too.  An hour or so on the sofa whilst watching Escape to the Chateau.  I couldn't help thinking, those families are going to really be struggling because their businesses will totally collapse during the Pandemic.  All they've worked so hard to achieve . . .

Late morning, Tam and I drove across to Dryslwyn Castle and climbed up to the top.  Good for my breathing as my peak flow was up to very nearly normal again after that.  The top photo is the view in the Carmarthen direction.


Then across towards Paxton's Tower.  I will try and add more historical details in the morning for this post.



Looking Northwards.


This straight Easterly trackway is, I believe, on an ancient boundary alignment.  When I was doing my degree, I was originally going to do my dissertation on the history of our house and in the documents I was going through, came to a Victorian reference to this.  I kept it noted down, so must see if I can tell you more about it.  


A little snow up on Bannau Sir Gar (Black Mountain, Carmarthen Fans).


We walked around through what used to be the Medieval village which was outside of the outer ward of the castle.  Here we looked across at the big old ash tree which stands beside the remains of the Gatehouse.


Looking towards the Black Mountains, with the wonderful meandering loops of the River Towy in the foreground.


This is presumably a very narrow doorway in the Gatehouse - land levels having changed of course - but there are steps leading down to it from the left.


One last view looking towards the Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains.  More photos tomorrow.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We certainly got our fresh air and a goodly number of steps in today.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for taking us on a wonderful walk with you. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful area

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are fortunate to live in such a lovely place.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely tour!!

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's nothing like a lovely walk to chase away the megrims! We are so ready here for a day without rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Not raining today but blowing an absolute HOOLEY. Digging is planned . . .

      Delete
  6. Pleased I found your blog as I lived for a few years in Llanarthne and often cycled out to Dryslwyn Castle and we could see the tower from the cottage. I have just bought a book from e Bay "The history of Llanarthne" by Tom & Delyth Jones. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dave and welcome! Glad I brought back some memories for you and hope you enjoy the book. I fear that's our last "outing" for a bit so I will perhaps re-visit some of my old blog posts to add a bit of variety to round-the-lanes walks!

      Delete
  7. What beautiful photos and a mystical air about them. When I look at them, I can literally visualize King Arthur and Merlin guarding the hills.
    Yes, its me, Denim. A long absence, blogger problems, health problems, but got Blogger up.
    I will be posting soon on my blog.
    Thank you for posting in this time of great upheaval. It brings peace to me and I'm sure, others. Please stay healthy and active.
    Denimflyz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denim!! Lovely to see you again. We are indeed in the Towy Valley here, which has connections with Merlin - Merlin's Hill just outside of the town, and the remains of Merlin's Oak (though not planted till the 18th C!) I shall keep an eye on your blog, and glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous scenery! My Uncle's family were coal miner's in the Black Mountain area. Thanks for the tour and the beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather was from London but his whole family relocated to Aberbargoed in the valleys. Not a million miles from the Black Mountain area. A hard life . . .

      Delete