Sunday 3 January 2021

Great Uncle George's Antlers!!

 




I have now gotten to that stage of the packing where I am having to contemplate the difficult-to-wrap items, like the Antelope shot in India by Great Uncle George.  As you can see, the Army also had difficulty in sending it home to England too, hence the antlers being chopped and pinned . . .  I think it may have to travel independently with us in the car!

I think, all in all, we have some things to travel with us which aren't exactly run of the mill . . .


Sorry for blurry picture.  These are 3 of my earthenware storage jars accumulated down the years and a big Chinese vase on the right.  All were meant to be being passed on before moving - like THAT was going to happen in 2020!  They will go up in the attic and be passed on when we can safely do car boot sales or the occasional Fair (to clear our stock) again.

We are nearly right out of bubble wrap - I shall use the last of the thick heavy bubble wrap on the pictures, but we had stacks of those (some from the house, some bought to sell which have obviously not had an outing!) and I just have to hope I can contact the removal people via phone or email though they are not working until Monday week . . .  

Trying to be positive but right now I am getting quite worried (scared even) about the move because of Covid and this new rampant variety, and the possibility of a return visit from the Beast from the East again - that would be making its presence felt exactly at the time we are moving (mid-January).  The route from here to Builth has some hills (not the least the ones getting to our house!) and the thought of trying to negotiate the tight steep uphill bends of the Sugarloaf in snow and ice (if indeed possible) is not a cheering thought.

Anyway, another photo from a recent walk to round off:



13 comments:

  1. Difficult but think positive. The sun may shine. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warmer now and no whiteness on the fields, "waiting around for more to join it" as my mum would have said.

      Delete
  2. I think the lack of sleep recently hasn't helped. Ah well, I have Dettol Spray . . . and yes, the sun may shine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and the sun shines.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping so. We are glad we are only going 50 miles or so and not down to Devon, which was a possibility . . .

      Delete
  4. Oh My Goodness, I hope you will be OK and the move will be smooth.
    Your next post will be, All Is Well !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if WE were snowed in, so would our buyer be and so we'd all just have to sit tight until it thawed!

      Delete
  5. Another great atmospheric photo. Keeping fingers/toes crossed that moving day will be dry and sunny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. The photos did turn out well that day. Milder here now so let's hope it stays that way!

      Delete
  6. Hope nothing happens to hamper the timing of the move. You have worked so hard and waited so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, us too. We are leaving all our food to go with us on the Friday - just in case we get snowed in! Perish the thought . . .

      Delete
  7. I don't comment often but I love reading your blog. I am in awe at how much stuff you have had to get rid of. I believe you are moving near to Builth Wells? We have had some lovely peaceful holidays in the area. The air is so clean compared to where we are in Worcestershire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi WorcsAnnie, lovely to meet you. This is SUCH a big house, and when you love books and sell collectables, you tend to accumulate far too much STUFF! When we've unpacked t'other end I shall slowly go through my books and rehome more, but at my pace and selling them rather than giving them away like all the rest.

      We will be a couple of miles outside of Builth. Glad you know it as you will be able to probably recognize bits you know from my photos. The air is lovely and clean in Wales - just as well, with my asthma.

      Delete