Wednesday 8 February 2023

Dead in a ditch - in 1866 and replies for Lizzie from Gone to the Beach

 


Pippy this morning, bird-watching in the kitchen.  This big ceramic pot is where I keep the bags of dried fruit and nuts.  When she saw a bird, her tail would switch.


Here she is on my shoulder.  It is impossible to do anything with her sat up there, but I indulge her until my neck complains.

I did a quick shop in Llandod this morning and came back and did some Family History research on one of Keith's Yorkshire lines, the Rightons.  I was moving sideways trying to find out what happened to his g. grandmother's brothers and sisters. In their parish records, I found the following entry: "A woman unknown, supposed name Mary O'Connor found dead in a ditch in the township of Overton.  Buried 14th November 1866.  Age believed 60 - 70."  Poor woman, I imagine she was impoverished and perhaps just "passing through". 

In the same register were twins Sophia and Emily Ann P****, just a day old, who had died and were buried in one coffin on 16th March 1875. Together in death as well as in their brief life.

Research on my side of the family, down in Devon, found: "March 1780 - buried a soldier who died of Dysentery.  Name unknown."  Poor chap.


I can't remember who wanted to see Keith's little Indo-Persian dagger, but here it is.   They are masters of metalwork as this is beautifully done.  There seem to be a range of designs on offer with different animal heads on the hilt.  Some are modern, others like this one, with a little bit more age to it.  The Damascus blade is something else, folded and folded and folded.



Below, you can just see the curly ears of the horse.  It is based on an Indian countrybred horse - they are known as Kathiarwari and Marwari, and have really curly ears which often touch together in the middle!  I remember that from an illustration in my Observer's Book of Horses and Ponies, gifted to a 6 year old pony-made me.


Below: here's my indulgence and a good bit cheaper.  I gave it a good polish up after this.  As you can see from the lower picture, the leather behind the very old (early Victorian) horse brass was covered in elderly Brasso cleaning polish.  I hate the stuff and have been using Autosol for many years now.  A lot less messy and gives a great finish. It's now been cleaned off and the leather treated with Leather Balm.



Oh, and LIZZIE from GONE TO THE BEACH - read my replies to your comment yesterday about the Welsh books you've been reading.  I've got one downloaded already and know exactly the area he's writing about as it was our favourite beach - Pendine Sands.  Thank you.

22 comments:

  1. What lovely finds. The dagger is beautiful. And the horse brass cleaned up wonderfully.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd only had a dab at the leather strap with the little hearts on, then after the photo I rubbed off that horrid dry Brasso and gave it a good rub down with Leather Balm, and the brass a going over with Autosol. Will have to put up an "after" picture.

      Delete
  2. I remember seeing beatiful South Asian daggers like that in the Leeds Armory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, they must have a big selection of stuff there then.

      Delete
  3. Hi! I found your book replies and answered in that post...nothing important, just fun to share a series and have it be places you know so well. Enjoy. The kitties are darling.

    The horse brass---w hearts~ Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you did share the series. I've just treated myself to the 4th book by Alis Hawkins, Not One of Us.

      Delete
  4. Oh thank you - it was me who requested a view of the dagger. Those folds in the metal are exquisite, aren't they. Thank you so much. Some of the poignant entries in records of long ago are tantalising - I wonder who the elderly Mary was? The final member of an impoverished family perhaps, or an unappreciated 'extra mouth to feed' pushed out to fend for herself in the cold of mid-November. No social services safety net back then.

    I hope Keith is doing better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I couldn't remember. Glad you like it any way Virginia. I think in the past folk just tottered from village to village if they had no job or home and eventually they got ill or too undernourished to carry on. I can remember talking to a farmer back in Carms, and he talked of his grandfather telling him (this would be late Victorian times) of families coming to beg for a day's work and being able to sleep in the barn. Sometimes all they had was what they stood up in and a sack to keep the rain off. They would even work for fat bacon to eat, if there was no money to spare.

      Delete
  5. If you haven't read it you might also like to read Running for the Hills by Horatio Clare, a memoir about living in rural Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Victoria. A new one to me, and sounds my sort of book, having read the review of it.

      Delete
  6. Family history does drag up some interesting, often upsetting facts, doesn't it? I have actually hit an impasse at the moment, although I'm not doing mine as seriously as you and many others. I recently discovered that my Granfather on my mothers side was in the workhouse with his younger brother and they were both under I think seven or eight years of age. In some ways, it came as quite a shock to see. I haven't gone too deep into it because I can see it can become quite addictive and quite expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure finding your rellies in the workhouse was a huge shock. Sadly, it happened in those times and hard to get away from such dire poverty or ill luck.

      Delete
  7. oops something wrong here. I'm publishing anonymously. And I don't know why. It's me, rustic pumpkin. Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen many shotguns with Damasc barrels. Beautiful things. They say that there is only one person left in the world who knows how to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there seems to be more than one person with the knowledge turning out modern Damascus blades. We even have an antique Mandau knife made basically in a very basic forge in Borneo, and that has a Damascus blade - though fairly roughly formed.

      Delete
  9. Fascinating family history stuff. And who can resist a kitty sitting on a shoulder!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a sweetheart. The FH keeps me occupied.

      Delete
  10. I would have grabbed up that dagger too, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is Celie. I can only comment as Anon, no idea why. The dagger is lovely, but personally I am much more partial to Pipi and Lulu! My work listserv had an interesting link today (along with more relevant ones for my job), and I thought of you in Wales, maybe of interest: https://theconversation.com/welsh-place-names-are-being-erased-and-so-are-the-stories-they-tell-197832
    I'm not sure if the link will work or you'll need to type it in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celie, will check out that link. Many thanks.

      Delete
  12. Dead in a ditch. Imagine being that age, with no home, no people, no one to be with you in your last minutes as you lay breathing your last in a ditch. Now, you've given me something to cry over!

    ReplyDelete