Saturday 25 February 2023

St Mary's Church, Kington - focus on the stained glass

 


St Mary's Church in Kington. I know that Marlane will remember it very well!


The Norman tower - with its later 18th C broach spire - which would have been used as a place of rescue in times gone by - you can just make out the inset pieces I took poor close-ups of (below).  The church dates to the 13th C but was only joined onto the tower at a later date.





This is apparently an 18th C preaching cross, but it looks MUCH earlier to me.  The niche would have held a small statue.


The stairs at the side of the tower are a much later addition - not much good at repelling invaders if you invite them in up a useful staircase!


The font is 12th C, and has unusual cable moulding around it and a Norman zig-zag at the top.


The large West Window, which is by Clayton and Bell and made in 1862.  It depicts two angels at the top, above panels showing the four Evangelists and also the four Great Prophets of  Testament.


A piece of modern glass, depicting the Holy Dove, was made by James Budd in 1995. It was a memorial to William Norman Elliott who was a member of the teaching profession for 42 years, 20 of those at lady Hawkins' School.


This is in the Vaughan Chapel and shows the Adoration of the Magi by Geoffrey Webb (1947).



This is the 2nd window in the Vaughan Chapel and shows St Luke and St Francis and is by CR Webb (1964).


Apologies for a duff photo - I took my old camera and it plays up now and again.  I can't work out which one this is either.  A shame as the colours are gorgeous.


Another Clayton and Bell window from 1862.  This is considered to be their finest work in the church.  Its original position in the church was in the old chancel but it was moved to this position by R W Drew.  It shows people and events from the Acts of the Apostles.  

On the left, in descending order:  Dorcas, The Raising of Dorcas, Cornelius, St Peter and Cornelius, St Stephen, The Stoning of Stephen.

In descending order on the right are:  Lydia, Eutychus, St Barnabas, Lystra, St Paul and Saul on the road to Damascus.


This is the window on the eastern side of the North Porch, showing the Presentation of Christ in the Temple, by Whitefriars (1962).  The figures are Anna, Simeon with the Infant Christ, and the Blessed Virgin Mary.



In the North Aisle there is a Whitefriars (1962) depiction of the Nativity with the Shepherds.


There was a rather nice carved stone pulpit.


This was one of half a dozen beautifully stitched pieces on display in the church.


I'm sorry I couldn't get this clearer, but it was to the side of the altar and short of sitting on top of said altar I couldn't get a good angle! This is the Vaughan family history.

The church was having a Messy Church day, full of toddlers, glitter and glue - they were having a wonderful time and their happy voices brought the church alive.  One of the chaps helping told me about another little church I would enjoy at nearby Huntingon, so after a wander around the town, that is where I went next . . .

Have a good weekend folks - sunshine here when I began this post, but now it is clouding over a bit.  I will garden and get a walk in.

It was good to get out and about again, and 




18 comments:

  1. Well you confirmed what I thought the age of the font and I agree about the preaching cross stump it looks a lot older. Here is a link to the Blog I wrote on St Mary the Virgin when I visited I'm not sure if there were flowers in the church on your visit but when I went the smell of lilies was overpowering. Did you see the Mappa_mundi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky to notice the other entrance to the church as I approached and swung in. I noticed cars in the car park above - it was Messy Church day! Little ones having a lovely time. I enjoyed your post - much more ordered than mine! I was wandering about as the children were over to one side, so the windows weren't taken in a logical order and I had to try and marry them up to the descriptions in the little booklet I bought about them. No overpowering smell of lilies I am glad to say. Saw the Mappa mundi print, and there was one in the little church at Huntingdon I think (worth looking out, only 3 miles away, off the Brilley road).

      Delete
  2. Beautiful windows and I love that embroidered picture.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure which embroidery to take a photo of but that was as good as any of the others. The windows were especially nice.

      Delete
  3. I do love the idea of Messy Church Day. I've also never seen stairs up the outside of a tower before, and I went off to have a read about Preaching Crosses too, never having heard of one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children made the church so happy. You could almost feel it smiling! Those stairs would certainly have been a short cut it they hadn't been put in until Victorian times. Preaching crosses turn up regularly, and usually pretty battered - they are often in market places in towns. Nice one in Sturminster Newton in Dorset - remember taking a photo of it half a lifetime ago.

      Delete
  4. If that staircase were on a castle it would have been against the opposite wall - something to do with most people being right handed with a sword I am told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, right hand = sword hand. Hence stair cases in castles being narrow and ran clockwise so the enemy were disadvantaged.

      Delete
  5. I am inclined to agree. The preaching cross does look infinitely older. I also have to say, personally, I don't like to see those pots of flowers all around it or those chippings. Wouldn't it be more in keeping to be on the grass? I suppose each to their own.
    The stained glass is quite beautiful.
    Deb in Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd put the teaching cross to Norman times - it's certainly not as new as they said. The flowers and chippings - well they have to put the floral tributes to cremated parishioners somewhere I suppose. Perhaps they don't want people getting mucky feet.

      The glass was exceptional.

      Delete
  6. Lovely stained glass windows.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went mainly for the Vaughan tomb - the stained glass was a real bonus.

      Delete
  7. I actually do not remember the church that well, just the outside as viewed from Lady Hawkins school. I was a catholic and went to a church on the street leading up to the town square. It was on the left and set back from the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, if you ever had any curiosity about the interior, you don't now!

      Delete
  8. So pleased you managed to get out and the church is so very interesting. The preaching cross does look older to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I want to go to Hergest Croft, when the Rhodies and Azaleas are out.

      Delete
  9. What an astonishing church . It's wonderful to think that the font is from the 12th century - what a lot it must it have 'seen' in that time. I suspect it was used more is past times than it is today though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is quite something isn't it? Bigger than I prefer - I like the little half-forgotten country churches which nearly always are gems in the landscape in one way or another. This was worth a visit, that'sfor sure.

    ReplyDelete