Thursday 16 February 2023

Tasty soup and something to read on a wet day

 


HERE'S the recipe for this.  So cheap and simple to make and tasty and warming to eat. The original BBC recipe also mentions curried pinwheels to accompany it, but I just had a home-made crusty bread roll.  I made some yesterday for lunch when Gabby came to visit.



The Lakes and Waterfalls booklet is local-ish walks - many of the waterfall ones tell you to take the Heads of the Valleys road . . .  The Poldark book is because I've been clearing a bookshelf and told myself - read it or get rid.  Since I have been meaning to read the last few Poldark books for decades, now is the time!  I'm a devil for putting off till tomorrow . . .  The Alis Hawkins is the 4th book by her, set in the Newcastle Emlyn/Cardigan area of Wales, and about a nearly blind County Coroner investigating a murder.  I can recommend her novels.  The Road to Haworth is one I treated myself to last time I was in Hay.  For once, it focuses on the Rev. Patrick Bronte rather than his talented daughters (although I am sure Branwell was talented though he was so weak).  If you are a fan of the Brontes then I can really recommend this as it gets to the roots of Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights in a way you'd never imagine.  Finally, READ - Sue in Suffolk very kindly loaned me A Patch in the Forest, Elizabeth West's final book (she of Hovel in the Hills fame).  Whilst it was different to the  struggles in North Wales at the hovel, it showed that Alan was working on improving their final home - probably until the day he died, and he died not long after this book was published in 2001.  What I loved about it was they had a good retirement - did what they wanted, when they wanted, no longer forced to live as hand-to-mouth as they had at Hafod.  She clearly devoted a goodly amount of time to studying the wildlife - birds especially - in their garden, and wrote about it in great detail. I am very grateful to Sue for loaning it and will post it back to you tomorrow.



The Castles book was in the window of our local History Association shop, and although it's nearly all just ruins of castles, good to dip into and some interesting history.  Another dipping into book is the one by our old Vicar of Brechfa, Patrick Thomas.  He is a Canon now.



Having finished all 1,000 pages of The Pillars of the Earth, I have two more Ken Follett's to read when I have time.  They also came from donated books at Tesco in Llandod.


A Daphne du Maurier I'd never heard of or read (she was asked to finish it by the daughter of Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch.) The Welsh one I'm really looking forward to, and Peter James is an author whose books I enjoy (but not the ones set in China).


Another for the pile, kindly sent my my friend Gay.



The girls killing a cushion this morning . . .






14 comments:

  1. You have all sorts to choose from there!
    No rush with getting The Patch back - don't go out specially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to go out to return some Cotton Traders shoes - I ordered size five but they are big on me.

      Delete
  2. You can't beat a good bowl of tasty, spicy lentil soup with bread.
    May your cushion rest in peace LOL.
    Deb in Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say it's very good Deb. And they killed the cushion good and proper!

      Delete
  3. I like all your reading choices, I feel rich when I have many books available to read. Poor little cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a millionaire then as I have a house-full . . . I was starved of books as a child, hence HAVING to have my own library now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cushions are dangerous, you need to be protected from them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gerald du Maurier, actor, was Daphne du Maurier father. Daphne was asked to finish the book by A Q-C's daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon, I read the cover whilst distracted, obviously, so have amended the detail.

      Delete
  7. The soup sounds delicious - thanks for the link. I often use BBC Good Food recipes and they are good. A great selection of books. I did read all the Poldark books many years ago and I fear they were sent off to a charity shop when I last had a big book clear out (never again!). I also read the Daphnne du Maurier one years ago - I still have her books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You inspired me to make a lentil Dahl for our supper last night. We had it with sag aloo (potatoes and greens from the garden), some leftover rounds of delicata squash roasted with cumin, a red onion raita and chutney. No special shopping required. We used to holiday on the Polruan side of the river Fowey for decades. We would stay in a National Trust farmhouse above Pencarrow head and walk/scramble up and down the cliffs to Lantic Bay for swimming, surfing, snorkelling depending on the waves. We could walk to Polruan along the coastal path and catch the passenger ferry to Fowey. One year Neptune House (where “Q” lived for ever) was on the market and we arranged a viewing. The house was eventually bought by Dawn French but she has moved on now. I had fantasies of turning it into a business - literary, organic food and gardening, local history, walking retreats - clearly ahead of my time! I hadn’t heard of “Castle Dor” either. I see Nina Bawden has written the introduction. “The Peppermint Pig” by NB was a favourite book for both of my children. BB we ARE rich with our gardens and books. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a few books collected here and there over the years--ones I thought promising and fully intended reading. At some point one has to admit it isn't going to happen and such need to be donated rather than moldering away in dusty boxes. Re Poldark: I read the later books in the series several years ago and didn't find them as compelling as the earlier ones. It may be significant that I read the first ones after watching the first TV series many decades ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soup and a crusty bread roll, one of my favourite lunches. You have some good books there, and with the wind whistling and building up again, once I get back from the vets with Mavis I will be settling down for a good read too.

    ReplyDelete