Monday 29 May 2023

All around the garden, and Pippi goes missing

 Both here and at my garden at Ynyswen (which I started from just bare lawn and a path), the land has never forgotten that it used to be a field.  The little strip of grass at the front of the house, when allowed to grow feral, becomes an old hay meadow.  This year there is just a strip at the bottom of the hedge where the Primroses grow, but that is already putting out Red Clover, Herb Robert, the few tentative fronds of Yarrow, Common Sorrel, Nettle,  and the last Lady's Smock is finally bowing her head to summer.

The roses are coming out now.  This is one I bought last year - it's a stunner.  Starts of with a dark moody bud, opens up and then starts to go pink, which is my favourite stage. So beautiful.


It's called Precious Amber and is one of - if not - my favourite - rose.  It just keeps going a deeper and deeper pink.


I am desperately trying to keep Tess of the D'Urbervilles alive.  The deep December frosts nobbled her and blackened all the stems and I have cut back hard, fed and watered well, and pray she will come out of her death-bed stance.  There are the tiniest signs of hope, with miniscule growth appearing, but gosh, she will be tucked up with fleece this winter, and the Fig next to her, which also suffered from the cold.  I may put the latter into a bigger planter too.


This is the lovely pink and yellow Aquilegia I had at Ynyswen, and brought a pot with me.  This year, apart from the pink and yellow candy stripes, it has produced several heads with what I call "ra-ra skirts".  I am absolutely delighted - it is so beautiful.  It always used to annoy me when I was selling young Aquilegia plants at car boot sales, people would say, "Oh I've got those already" and I would ask, which colour or flower-head type (Clematis-petal, Norah Barlow, spurred etc) and they'd look at me blankly.  An Aquilegia was an Aquilegia was an Aquilegia to them.


Isn't she beautiful?  This is Lili Marlene, another stunner.


Indigo, another early bloomer.


A pretty green tipped Aquilegia.  I have a similar purple one by the back of the pond.  Just noticed that the not-planted Aquilegia which has appeared in a pot in the yard is William Guinness, which I didn't think had come with me from Ynyswen.  I'm glad that it has. I had a lot of it there.


Talking of which, it's Flag Iris time in the pond. Gabby was here yesterday and assembled the other raised bed for me, and we filled it and topped up the other, with leaves, and then grass mowings, and then wet leaves from the pond.  I have managed to get a splash of pond water in my right eye - thought it had just missed but no, this morning right eye sore so I will have to try and get some eye drops when I'm out and see the Optician tomorrow.  I can remember that Katherine Hepburn got canal water in her eyes when filming in Venice, where she had to fall into the canal, and was affected permanently by some nasty incurable eye  infection.  I am sure this is a quick fix.



This is the main bed, which I inherited with just a reverted rose, some Golden Marjoram and bushes and bushes of leggy untended Lavender (much of which I have hoiked out).  It's gradually starting to come together though it's too sunny to see the purples of the flowers in there - wild Aquilegia, Iris "Bold Print", several Purple Lupins, Hardy Cranesbills etc.   I have a couple of tall white Valerian to pop in the back.  Progress.


I'm glad to say not all my Clematis died, though I lost 3 or 4.  This is The First Lady.  I thought I had lost Dr Ruppel, but no, the slugs had been at him, so I've moved him and he's now growing again.    Clematis Montana wilsonii is in full bloom - such a sweet delicate perfume - and the nameless one next to it is growing on well too, and Princess Diana in a tub nearby.  Two wellgrown Montano rubens were fatalities though and I have bought two to replace them and put them both in the shelter at the bottom of the hedge, to scramble up through it.  Nearby is a Paul's Scarlet climbing rose I was given for my birthday by a friend.  It is happy as Larry and now in bloom - really scarlet flowers.


Here's one I planted earlier!  Alfie enjoying the sunshine up on the Bank.


Ah yes, the naughty Pippi kitten-cat . . .  She loves it outside and is very adventurous.  I seem to lose her regularly, but she generally comes when I call her.  Yesterday she decided to press all my buttons, and disappeared off somewhere after tea and DIDN'T return.  I rattled biscuits, called and got more and more worried in case she had turned left out of the gate and was up by the lane.  Anyway, accompanied by Ghengis, I went down the track, calling her. No sign.  I came back in - then Lulu started to get brave and ran out onto the track (a first for her) and looked like she was going to worm her way into the field next door, but came back when shooed.  I'd just got back to the house, and who should yell "here I am - did you miss me?".  I turned and saw Pippi, who pressed another button and jumped up onto the lawn and hurtled off at warp speed, obviously wanting to test my powers of endurance!  I ignored her and she came back and promptly went under the low chair in the hall, where she knows I can't reach her. I think she gets easily bored.


Today Pam and I are going to Powis Castle.  I have to be back before 4.30 as someone's coming to collect the dressing table then.  I had interest in the four chairs too but they wanted to come in the day today and haven't replied since I said it would have to be 4.30 onwards.  I am hoping there may be a plant stall at Powis . . .

Today is also the May Bank Holiday Malvern Fleamarket - a biggie, and one we never normally miss.  However, I don't really need stock, and Keith and I are still getting over the Flu bug (and me my 2nd one).  His neck is really bad today - it sets rigid and he can't walk, eat or do anything much.  So he wouldn't have been able to go, which makes me feel slightly better about having a day out without him instead.

I hope everyone's had a nice Bank Holiday weekend.






22 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm one of those people to whom an Aquilegia is just that - although in different colours!
    About 10,000 Aquilegia seedlings have appeared in a patch of the back border - wonder if they will hang on and flower next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! And to think I've not converted you down the years! I just love them and like to find the more unusual ones., I just hope that the deep blue and purple wild ones here don't colour everything else with the same paintbrush from x-pollination. Your wee seedlings will probably prove incredibly tough and reward you next spring.

      Delete
  2. My Ladies Smock is just starting! Your garden is looking good, and I'm happy to see I'm not the only one to grow marjoram in the garden as a border plant. Enjoy Powis Castle. In the late 40's early 50's my Dad was gamekeeper there. As for Pippi, naughty little minx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, it has obviously been having a lie-in! I inherited the Marjoram. Have two gigantic clumps in the raised beds. I should move them elsewhere but . . . Fancy your dad being the Gamekeeper at Powis? My friend's grandfather was a groom there.

      Pippi is indeed that, a naughty little minx!!

      Delete
  3. Such beautiful flowers - last year you inspired me with your photos of roses and we now have a small rose garden coming along nicely. That naughty kitty - they seem to enjoy giving us a fright don't they?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alison, glad to have been a source of inspiration. I couldn't be without roses (or Aquilegias).

      Pippi knows exactly which buttons to press, little horror. Lulu is totally different :)

      Delete
  4. I['ve always wondered ~ did the home TENS not work for Keith at all?

    Pippi is training her human. The little stinker is getting you trained to let her wander off for an explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It went in a drawer as he thought it didn't help. I was so desperate this week, I blew the dust of it and he said it may have helped "a little bit" . . . Sometimes I could strangle him!

      Oh Pippi is definitely training me up. Yesterday I went to plant something which desperately needed bunging in as it had been sat in a pot for weeks and weeks since I'd bought it. Madam came along and disappeared into the thicket of bushes and I couldn't find her anywhere. She managed to find a way out . . .

      Delete
  5. I had to scroll quickly through this fearing for Pippi's fate--back later to enjoy your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Yes, she is a proper monster at times. Very calculating.

      Delete
  6. Your flowers are all so lovely. My irises and spirea are in bloom. I'm just now getting the annual seeds seeds strewn about. The beds needed cleared of weeds first. My little English cat was like Pippi once she adjusted to going out. She'd wander far, and go between my house and mys sister's, just over a mile away. Have you had Pippi and Lulu microchipped? I assume that's available there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Spirea here, inherited from previous owners. Hoping the Iris will survive. This morning I took a leaf out of your book and weeded and topped up pots with fresh compost and bunged a load of different Cosmos in including a yellow one, though of course, you hardly got ANY seeds in that pack.

      The kittens were microchipped when they were spayed. Lulu doesn't go far, but let's hope Pippi calms down a bit soon and stays close to home too.

      Delete
  7. Your garden is lovely, and the variety of plants wonderful. How wonderful that you were able to bring some plants with you from your former home. Glad to hear Pippi returned home. Love the photo of Alfie. He looks so much like a wonderful cat I had years ago named Bart.
    Hope you had a nice trip to Powis Castle with Pam, that the dressing table was collected in a timely fashion, and that your eye is much better and nothing serious going on there.
    Sorry to hear Keith had such a rough day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Damselfly. The chap who cuts the lawn now says the same and I am pleased with the way it is coming together. I want some more Hardy Geraniums though - Johnson's Blue and a slightly paler blue one I saw at the Nursery yesterday. Still have room for them!

      Alfie is The Boss Cat - he only has to look at the kittens and they are obedient.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely trip around your garden. I do wish I could grow roses, but I have no luck at all. I will gaze at yours with envy.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame you can't grow roses - are your winter temperatures too low? Glad youcan at least enjoy mine vicariously.

      Delete
  9. Your garden is looking lovely, and I envy you the beautiful roses. Not sure anything can beat a beautiful rose. Hope illness wise you both improve but that rascal of a kitten must keep you both on your toes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Thelma. Roses are hard to beat. I have a terrible hankering to go to David Austin Roses - doable in a day - it's 65 miles each way. 1 3/4 hrs Google tells me. I wouldn't be able to come home empty-handed though!

      We're mending now I'm glad to say - I've had several days without starting the morning with Ibuprofen! Gosh, that Pippi really IS a rascal - she and Lulu have brought us so much joy though.

      Delete
  10. The rose in the top photo is a magnificent colour and as it opens up it just gets better and better doesn't it. Sorry to hear that Keith had such a rough day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When his neck sets rigid, poor Keith can't do anything. That rose is a stunner and Ihave never seen one change colour so radically before.

      Delete
  11. I just popped by for a visit....I wanted to see your lovely roses and columbines. I was not disappointed--they're beautiful. Granny Marigold

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Granny Marigold. I am glad you remembered my roses and columbines. Couldn't be without either. I am still working on making this garden as beautiful as that at Ynyswen, but that takes time and money!

      Delete