Friday 5 May 2023

Grabbed by the balls?

 


This is what I couldn't resist.  Tam spotted it on a neighbouring stall and I did a bit of haggling - the lass was sad to let it go as she loved it too.  The original colour is around the edge, where the narrow (black) frame used to be.  I may try and replace with another similar if I can find one on-line.  It's grubby and has seen better days, but I love Swallows, even whimsical ones like these.


I cracked on with Family History yesterday and found some brilliant links, including many for my 3 x g. grandfather in Plymouth, Richard Adams.  Turns out that as well as being a skilled Carpenter by trade he was a (Special?) Constable.  There was an Act passed in 1831 which brought these into play.  Amazingly there were links to the people he apprehended.  One made me laugh - lodging house owner cross because someone staying there had made off with the counterpane and blanket off the bed.  Girl found, with pawnbrokers' tickets in her bag.  Oh, but she hadn't STOLEN anything officer, she had just borrowed money against it and so could repay any time.  Sure!

I liked the one where he apprehended a (drunken?) soldier running amok with a fixed bayonet, threatening anyone in his way and who ran onto a ship moored at the Quay and had to be manhandled off. The writing is a little illegible in places but I'm sure it was his coat which was seized rather than his . . . balls!! although that is what the word looks most like . . .  What think you?  Third line down, third word from the end (R).  "balls and Collar" . . .?


I am just so thrilled to know some of the details of Robert's life - following the rate books you can see him moving house to adjoining streets and paying rents for rooms in tenements, then finally purchasing his own house, and then others to rent out - we're talking the bottom end of the market here though.  He ended up though, in the purpose-built Shaftesbury Cottages (think Lord Shaftesbury and social reform here) - these were for needy poor people, but were a great improvement on the back-to-backs you paid 1 shilling and sixpence rent on.  These cost 4 shillings a week but each cottage had a room and a little back kitchen, a small yard and a privy.  Upstairs there were 3 small bedrooms.  Despite having thin walls and poor roofing, they were still a huge improvement on the one up one down back-to-back's  (e.g. kitchen/bedroom accommodation) that were slung up by folk like Thomas Gill who needed accommodation for his quarry workforce where overcrowding was rife.  (2 adults with 7 children; 4 separate cases of 2 adults and 5 children; 3 adults with 3 children etc.) all housed in rooms 12 ft 8" x 10ft. 


I ended up cooking for the freezer last night.  I defrosted a large tray of mince and asked Keith did he want a Cottage Pie?  No, he wanted pasties.  So here they are, with cheese pastry, and a mix of diced potato, peas and mince inside.  I started this late in the day for pastry really, but they're done now.  Same for tea for Keith tonight and 3 as meals in the freezer.  I had a Spag. Bol with my half.  I like meals I can make without thinking too much!

Well, kittens have had some fresh air outside already (Pippi still VERY much with her harness on).  Lulu hated the wind the other day and ran back to the house.  Pippi said, bring it on!!  They are SO different. Pippi has been in the paper recycling box and chased around a small box and removed it and is now kicking it around the Utility!  

Right, breakfast and then off to Llandod for a couple of bits and on a little further to the Garden Centre for more compost and perhaps a plant . . .




13 comments:

  1. Good to hear you are feeling better and heading out to the garden centre.
    That handwriting is terrible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The writing takes a while to get your eye in but I've attempted to read worse! The garden centre cheered me up no end and I, ahem, invested some money in compost, topsoil and half a dozen lovely plants.

      Delete
  2. Hate to say it, but I think it is 'belt'. There are other words that end with a t that have a similar flick up, instead of the letter being crossed as most people would do it. Lovely swallows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know how to spoil a girl's fun! I think you are right, but I still prefer the mental image I have of my ancestor's "gotcha" moment!!

      Delete
  3. I think it says "belt" - but I sort of want it to say balls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would it be belt and collar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it would, but it made me grin thinking otherwise.

      Delete
  5. That is marvellous, adding detail and colour to bare facts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're feeling better, well enough to cook and go out. You have such reserves of energy and strength.

    Love the swallows--painting or tray? Will out try to gently clean it to restore light colors?

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The picture you bought is very lovely. I didn't try zooming in on the writing as I'm on my phone, but the stories from your ancestor are entertaining. Pippi sure is a handful! It sounds like you are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad you are feeling perkier. What wonderful details about your forehead! I have to believe that a soldier running amok would be stopped most quickly by a firm grasp of his balls .

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing how you bounce back BB and you are definitely an inspiration to me how you keep going. Love the swallow painting. Will you have a go at cleaning it with your saliva and cotton wool like the experts do? I would be tempted to keep it unframed or perhaps ask Keith to make a very simple wood box frame for it to float in? It’s been a very busy week here with Welly Belly! I think they were advised by the campsite to boil drinking water due to all the heavy rain. One lives and learns. I have been making him drink sugar and salt in boiled water all week and he is now able to eat plain boiled rice and dry toast. Luckily he is a 6’3” hale and hearty lad. Enjoy the Coronation today - I am especially excited about seeing all the UK grown flowers decorating the Abbey. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete