Thursday 18 May 2023

The fly-hunting season has officially started . . .

 


and my lovely 1970s vine leaves flour jar paid the price . . .and for once it wasn't the naughty little St Trinian's kitten Pippi, it was Lulu - she's a bit stouter and obviously had the weight to push this onto the floor - she will have been sitting on the lid, which they are both wont to do.  I doubt I will ever find another one like it, but I'll be happy just to find a replacement that I like.  

    Today I am feeling better - I had a walk up the hill and took some wild flower photos, and have put the plants I bought on Tuesday into the oval bed I can see from the back of the kitchen.  They look lovely, especially the pinky Scabious.  Still a couple of gaps to be filled, but there will be pleasure in choosing the right plants, to flower later in the year.  

    Keith is coughing better - until he was on the antibiotics he couldn't cough properly at all.  He has walked up and down the kitchen a couple of times today too.  It's a week until we see the Dr regarding his blood pressure treatment though.  

    Today I heard a Cuckoo - I just seem to hear one a year, and just that once.  I have only ever seen one once too, that was on the marshes across the River Frome from the Granary eatery in Wareham.  I guess it was looking for a Reed Warbler's nest to lay its egg in.  How the birds we took for granted in our youth - in my mind's eye I am seeing here fields and fields spangled with Peewits (Lapwings).  Now they are rare - Red-listed - due to changes in farming practice.

    

Lady's Bedstraw


Hawthorn Blossom which we always just called "May" and my mum forbade me to bring it in the house and she considered it unlucky.  She probably didn't connect it with the crown of thorns worn by Christ, but I think that is why is is considered of ill omen.

Germander Speedwell.


Finally . . . this has been doing my head in as I try to remember what I learned in my Paleography course (one term only) in 1996 . . .



You get the idea - some words I can read reasonably easily but others!  Took me ages just to work out the word Plymouth in the first line!! Anyway, I have managed quite a lengthy list of annuitants and will tackle page 2 tomorrow, when my brain is functioning again.  The will is dated 1810 and is from my Adams family line.



16 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's quite a naughty mess someone has made. I love the photo has the kitty [not ME!} peering into the debris, so fascinated.

    Lovely wildflowers / photo.
    Glad you and perhaps your DH are doing better.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Lizzy - there is Pippi thinking, gosh, my naughty little sister!! Who had fled and was hiding inside the sofa probably!

      Keith and I are enjoying the sunshine - I will get him a chair outside today so he can sit out for a bit.

      Delete
  2. hoping you both continue to improve. I've been up to my eyes today, horrid 9 a.m. start with chiropodist, installation of Piper alarm at midday, afternoon phone call with Social Services, then nearly two hours with the Parkinson's nurse. Worn out now.
    So sorry about the jar, it's part of the price we pay for love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whilst I am always up early (5 a.m. yesterday, but a lie-in till 6 today), I hate having to get organized with Keith to get out for an early appointment as he just cannot do anything fast. Gosh, that was a long visit to the Parkinsons' nurse - let's hope it brings benefits.

      The price we pay for love indeed. It only cost £4 at a car boot sale, but I was rather fond of it.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos, and sorry that your kitty managed to push it off. Must have took some effort. I hope you find a new one you like.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little dogs are also into their summer hobby-chasing crickets. It's so funny when they find one under a pot and then it jumps up and away, they always look startled. I'm doing my geneaology. Driving me nuts as my mother had many stories of her Irish grandmother moving to England yet all that comes up is a family in Norfolk! I'll be in England in a little over a month and looking forward to seeing all the wildflowers. I hope Keith continues to improve and you stay well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The urge to hunt is strong isn't it? If you are using Ancestry for your searches, I find it useless and have a membership to Find my Past as well (had that before getting a good Ancestry DNA test offer which gave me 3 months membership for an extra £1! The are some good free search systems too - Free BMD and FreeCen and the original Mormon site Family Search, and others. Perhaps your mum's Irish family ended up in Norfolk for work? Have you had a DNA test done? Anyway, the wild flowers will be beautiful here next month and have a fabulous holiday.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, that surely made quite the crash, and by the time that you got yourself out there, I'm going to guess Lulu was no where in sight!

    I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not kidding - that broken beyond redemption sound crash!!

      Feeling better equates to overdoing things in the garden!

      Delete
  6. Oh no - sad end to a lovely jar.
    Good to hear Keith is moving a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could almost make up a cartoon of those two kittens - "it wasn't me mum". But breakages aside they give a lot of happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you ever seen Vickerys Folk Flora An a-z of the folklore and uses of British and Irish plants?
    The folklore behind our common plants is amazing. I recommend.
    Found my copy second hand.

    Shariexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are leading me astray. Must put that on my Christmas list! I have the BIG Flora Britannica by Richard Mabey which deals with similar aspects. Also have Geoffrey Grigson's The Englishman's Flora.

      Delete
    2. Just gone to put it on my Amazon wish list and find there is a Kindle copy, so I have bought that and will put the hardback copy on the Christmas list. Thankyou Sharie.

      Delete
  9. I hope you and Keith continue to recover from this bug. I'm sorry but I had a laugh at the destruction courtesy of Lulu. It reminded me of many years ago, when I had a pair of cats who working together manag d to push my grandmother's heavy clock off the mantle. I witnessed it through the window as I was walking up to the front door, but couldn't get in fast enough to stop them. It wasn't destroyed thankfully, and I had it repaired. I adored those cats, so a good memory nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Worse today - I hurt too much to stay in bed past 6 a.m. Ibuprofen are the only thing that works. Keith isn't up to much either. We both have pre-booked appts. with the GP next week (two days running), so will get this checked out at the same time.

    Oh goodness, to those cats and your grandmother's heavy clock! Aren't they wicked?!

    The main wicked one here is currently laid on a chair in the sunshine, zzzzzzzzzzzzing. Lulu is in the sofa, I believe . . .

    ReplyDelete