Tuesday 22 April 2014

Easter Monday at Malvern Fleamarket


We were up at 4 a.m. yesterday morning to go to the huge Bank Holiday Fleamarket at Malvern.  The weather was on our side and it was warm and sunny for most of the day.  This is the road just the other side of Trecastle.


Misty grey mountains.


Sunrise near Brecon.


There were hundreds of stalls there, but I have to say it was more like a gigantic car boot sale yesterday - lots of house clearance stalls outside, and some were asking absolutely ridiculous prices for stuff.  We didn't buy a great deal . . .  When I say "house clearance" I don't mean the lovely things that Vicky gets up in Anglesey, or the things she and her husband have given time and skill to improve, but the boxes of damaged china, rusty old tools, and stuff you would think twice about crossing the road to dump!  All for sale at ridiculous prices.


A corner of a pretty applique modern quilt.


A little corner of Victorian mourning clothes . . .




The usual taxidermy was there.  Some are becoming old friends almost . . .



Poor little chap didn't have much of a life and then ended up with a tummy full of sawdust.



I'd have loved the horse picture when I was a child.



Hard to believe that this poor dolly was once a little girl's pride and joy.  I hope she gets the TLC she need.


A general view.  As you can see, lovely blue skies.  It took us 6 hours to walk round and our legs were glad to rest once we got back to the car.

Today is a catch-up day . . .

10 comments:

  1. What a treasure trove! I would have enjoyed being with you. So many fascinating things. Not sure I could have coped with a 4am start though......

    Those photo of early morning, soft skies and misty mountains, are just asking to be painted. You should have a go with some watercolours BB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, 6hrs of bargain hunting! I would have collapsed in a heap after about 2 or 3 hours of walking round and looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have been absolutely shattered after that lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well ladies, I have to say that I am POOPED today (and resting up) and seem to have gained a few bugs from the ones which were going around at the weekend, and am coughing and losing my voice a bit.

    However, we DID have a lovely weekend, which is the main thing, and have Skyped Danny today, to wish him Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done you, I could not walk around for 6 hours, especially after getting up at 4am. I'm delighted you had such a good day and the misty morning photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had great weather! The early morning photos are gorgeous.... really atmospheric! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure I'd have the stamina for that! Some gorgeous early morning photos though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzie - it was level going and we wandered and stopped at stalls, so not too arduous, although by lunchtime I really DID need to sit down and rest. I was pleased with the early morning photos.

    Jan - thank you. I wish I could have stopped the car and taken dozens more photos as I missed all the very best ones!

    Rowan - I am gradually getting myself fitter again. Back up to speed with the gardening again too!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor dolly! Made me laugh though - sorry. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Em - she looked like she had dropsy! but I suppose it was to give shape to a crinoline or something.

    ReplyDelete