Thursday, 17 April 2014
I have been very busy in the garden. Here are the main vegetables I intend to grow this year.
Above and below, a more detailed photo.
The onions, parsnips and carrots I have several packets of, as a friend had been given lots and so I benefitted too.
Just a few flowers to be going on with. The sweet peas are late, I know, but currently in soak and will be planted in little pots today.
On Tuesday we had a big bonfire of the brash from the Ash tree which we felled last year. It looked very untidy up that end of the yard, and we had plans for it . . .
As I said . . . untidy! When I say I spend 8 hours gardening a day, it is more THIS sort of (clearance) gardening than a little light weeding sort of gardening!
My OH putting sand over the ashes of the bonfire, which has killed off most of the weeds below it. We have a plan you see! The path by the Rhubarb was about 75% COVERED in grass and other opportunistic weeds. I weeded it this week and put down several barrowloads of fresh chippings over the old layer. The pathway membrane goes on for about 3 feet beyond the end of the chippings.
As I ripped the grass/weeds/soil combo away, the membrane saw daylight again for the first time in about 6 or 7 years . . .
Cleared, for my . . .
polytunnel. My OH figured it was best up here as then I had the use of my entire veg plot for planting beans, peas, brassicas, carrots etc, and I could have my cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, chillis etc in pots in here. Oh and strawberries, as I had about 50 feral plants around the place, so they are all potted up and hopefully will thrive in here (and the birds won't get them this year.) I know - it looks a bit drunk - I think I didn't straighten the cover up after we'd carried it (already made up) from lower down the yard where we had tethered it overnight.
Meanwhile, Theo was having his version of "meals on wheels" !! in the hallway . . .
Meanwhile, I am re-reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which is such an inspirational book and is the code by which I try to abide, although financially it is not always possible to afford meat which is locally sourced and from a named farm.
This is an excellent book a friend sent me for my birthday one year. I can recommend it heartily to any breadmakers out there.
This is the recipe I am trying - for Italian Pugliese bread. Hmmm. Slight problems with the "biga" starter, but I shall report back. I made the mistake of putting it in the sun to rise yesterday, and the sun was so hot it put a skin on the "biga". It was meant to rise for 8 to 10 hours (guess who started it at lunchtime . . .) and in the end I was SO tired I left it overnight. I will see if I can make an edible loaf with it today, despite the overnight abandonment!
Anyway, I don't feel in a gardening mood this morning as I have not a jot of energy, so it is going to be bread and then a couple of Apple Gingerbread cakes, one for the freezer and one for now.