Tuesday 2 September 2014

Walking is WONDERFUL!


This photo is just to remind me of what I can achieve when I set my mind to it.  It's the trig point on top of Rhossili Downs of course.

I have had two 3 mile walks since, just around the lanes locally, but including some steep hills.  I am still cooling down from today's walk, which included walking steadily (but not slowly) up a long hill towards Llanfynydd.  That part of the walk took half an hour but I stuck to it and was surprised at how much fitter I am already.  The views are lovely round here, very familiar, but still worth gazing at.  Back to the last part of the Rhossili Downs walk now.





Views in every direction, and I couldn't resist stopping and taking more photos.


Glorious heather and the remains of another burial chamber.



There are a number of burial chamber remains up on the top and you can't blame them for laying their dead to rest with such stupendous views in every direction.




By this time, Burry Holms was completely an island again.  You can clearly see the division made in the late Iron Age and used again when the Romans arrived - which made a promontary fort of the seaward end of the island.  Here is the link to the archaeology report: 
 http://heritageofwalesnews.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/burry-holms-excavation-newly-catalogued.html



Neolithic burial chamber in the valley behind.  Very tumbled and broken.  I intend to go back and explore these properly (there were two of them here).  They are known locally as Swain's Howes (as in burial chamber) and are portal dolmens, such as those I saw in Ireland on an Archaeology Field Trip. Here's a link for you:  http://thejournalofantiquities.com/category/swains-howes-burial-chambers-rhossilli-downs-in-south-wales/




You can see it's position in the landscape here - half way between the "wild" and the "civilized" as it later became.  I wouldn't mind betting that little lane is incredibly old too, and perhaps an original transhumance route up onto the Downs for summer grazing of livestock.




If you look at the middle of the photograph, behind my friend, just over her left shoulder, that's where we were parked.  It took us an hour to reach it!


This was the pathway down, and it was difficult to manouvre.  I am SO glad we didn't climb UP this way!


The Downs behind us as we set out through the Marsh grass . . .


It was like going on safari!


This last stretch was sandy and easy walking, but we had met a chap walking his Whippet, who told us to "look out for adders - he had never seen so many as that afternoon".  Fortunately they seemed to have gone to bed by the time we arrived.

I can't wait to go back and walk some of this area again with my husband.  It is SO lovely there.  Really magic, especially up on the Downs.

6 comments:

  1. Glorious views, super heather and good news that you are able to walk further and faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a lovely walk.
    Such good news about your ability to walk this far.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I would have loved to have joined you. What views!

    It is so good to know that you are back to your old self again and able to walk and enjoy the beautiful Welsh countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the wonderful travelogue. I have never been there and doubt if I could ever climb up there. I am glad that your health is improving with your walking. I have been too sedentary since retirement and have felt myself "seizing" up. I have just started using a pedometer. The optimum level is 10,000 steps a day. I am up to 4,000 and expect to double that by Monday. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for all your comments. I feel so much better and knowing that I CAN give myself challenges and complete them is very encouraging.

    ShadyPQ - they say use it or lose it, and exercise is definitely good for the body and the soul. It sounds like you are doing well with your pedometer and stepping up the exercise.

    DW - I would love to show you that walk (best on a summer's day, I have to say). It's great to be able to get out and explore again with my friend Debs.

    Parsnip - 3 years ago I thought I'd had it, so it is wonderful to be back to my old self again.

    Pat - Glad you enjoyed the views and the heather. I feel SO much better nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What amazing views!!! I would be inspired to walk THERE! However, I must get inspired to walk HERE as well even without those gorgeous views. Hope all is well!

    Blessings,
    Dianne
    www.sweetjourneyhome.com

    ReplyDelete