Sunday 3 September 2017

More quilt photos



Above and below: you can see why this beautiful quilt got a prize.  Superb craftsmanship.



Above: all of the stalls had wonderful backdrops of quilts, runners, lap throws.  So much hard work had gone in to setting everything out to be as tempting as possible.  Check out the feather quilted border on that quilt on the left.  That must have been a prize winner at another show.


Christmas Puddings Log-Cabin style!

Above and below: a beautiful Cathedral window quilt, with close-up.


A lovely old Log Cabin quilt, pre-restoration, where the red had come from turkey red dyes, so probably fragile.  Not sure where these came from but perhaps the American Museum at Bath, which has a fabulous array of early American quilts.



Above and below, another superb prize winning quilt.  Just LOOK at that quilting . . .




I loved the simplicity of this piece, and just using three colours.


Above: a lovely moon-gazing hare done in the Indian Kantha running stitch.  I'd love to have a go at something similar (in my SPARE time, you understand. . .!)


Beautiful gold ammonites.


A lovely take on the Green Man.


Above: I have to say this was one of my favourite pieces - for the standing stones, and for the colours chosen and for those wonderful spirals.


It's a shame that the flash didn't go off as the colours don't show up as they did in real life.  A lot of work went into this, with extra embroidery to complement the patchwork.

Finally - a little bit of fun with these little badges (or you could make them with key rings).  I thought I would have a go.  LOVE that little winking yellow cat!!!

5 comments:

  1. What a fantastic collection of quilts! So much work and love has gone into each one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DW. Good to see you again. I took so many photos and there are still quite a few I haven't shared. Such works of art and skill far beyond mine!

      Delete
  2. Wow! People are so talented. Particularly love the Cathedral window one, hare, ammonites, Green Man, Standing Stones. In fact they are all just superb :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RR - as you can see I couldn't resist putting the Standing Stones one as my new header. I can't wait for another quilt festival now!

      Delete
  3. Hi Gillie. Isn't it fun? I hope you give patchwork a go - if you start with something small and simple and it isn't too overwhelming then. I was just amazed at the 100s of hours which had gone into creating these quilts.

    ReplyDelete