Saturday 2 September 2017

Photos from the West Country Quilt & Textiles Show in Bristol (1)



Yesterday I had a great day out with sewing friends Dawn, Sian and Sue at the West Country Quilt & Textiles Show in Bristol.  I took LOTS of photos, but these have loaded SO slowly that you just have a few to go on with this morning.  This first (slightly out of focus) photo is of a fabulous applique quilt from Cairo.  The work is done mostly by men, but apparently women are becoming involved now.  Looking at the photo, below left I see what I didn't notice at the time (being overwhelmed by the colourful hanging above) - from my Pictish studies days, these sort of key patterns turned up in Romilly Allen's ECMS (the Early Christian Monuments of Scotland) and my well-thumbed copies show examples from Scotland and indeed Wales too.  I am now kicking myself that I didn't take a photograph of this particular panel.  Who knew that there were connections with Egypt in this design?

Below, a lovely Arab horse executed in applique with Egyptian script on his body.




A Christmassy corner of one stand.


You can see why this superb quilt was a double winner.  All hand-quilted, as you can see below.  Trapunto work too.  Stunning is a much-abused word, but here it is totally apt.



Above: a bright and colourful quilt.


I am now hooked on these beakheads!  They come from Romanesque architecture and I had a lovely chat with the lady whose stall this was.  Sadly, there are none in Welsh architecture, and none at Kilpeck, where I would expect them to be, so I shall have to try and find some when we are in England on holiday again.



Above and below - another stunning wholecloth quilt which had been superbly quilted.  Sorry the close-up is a bit fuzzy.




Finally for today, bright an cheerful, with wildlife.  I love the Log Cabin Pineapple block at the top.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Aril - aren't they fab? Some look very vulpine (foxy) but others more birdlike, and I suppose some are meant to be people . . .

      Delete
  2. Those quilts are beautiful and I love those beekheads! Not seen that many when I explore churches but am always looking out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RR - I suppose I am going to have to travel quite widely to find them, but I shall be on the look-out in future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some at St Cross, Winchester and others at Lincoln Cathedral.

      Delete
  4. Lovely colours on some of those quilts - there certainly are some clever people around!
    Never heard of Beakheads - slightly freaky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look pop-eyed don't they?! I love the iconography of old churches and cathedrals though, and want to find some now! The quilts were just amazing - some real talent out there.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful quilt inspiration. I especially liked the whole cloth quilt as I think I enjoy hand quilting more than the cutting up of fabrics and joining them together and what can I say about the owl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed them Sarah. Inspiration it certainly was. The whole cloth quilts certainly show-case the quilting designs so well.

      Delete
  6. Hundreds and thousands of hours of tedious stitching in these beautiful quilts. I would never tire of looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chip, aren't they wonderful. Thousands of hours of stitching, but WHAT results.

      Delete
  7. It was a good day out, glad you could join us and enjoy it even if it has now brought a new hobby into your life :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have been a wonderful day out and well worth the drive over to Bristol.
    Beautiful quilts ! I especially love the Arabian horse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wasn't the horse lovely? I wonder what the lettering said? It was a great day out and I wasn't driving, so very relaxing!

    ReplyDelete