Thursday 21 February 2019

A Slightly Muddy Walk

I spent sometime this morning sorting out a problem with someone in Europe buying something from me on eBay.  I needed some help and moral support from Eldest Daughter, who talked me through it, bless her, though I did need to go into the bowels of eBay to find out a link to speak to a Live Person there.  

So I got rather stressed out first thing (still stressed out when we went into town for more Birdseed and some groceries) and I was stressed again after I HAD sorted it out, but further from the panic attack I nearly had earlier on.  The sun was coming out, so although I felt devoid of energy, I decided I would go out for a walk and relax a bit.


Normally I would be walking along the lane to the right of the trashed hedge.  But I decided to go and see the state of play across the equally trashed fields which belong to a neighbour not known for his sympathetic approach to wildlife and nature.


I walked along through the trees beside the river, which was higher than normal due to recent rain, but still at fairly ordinary levels.  No Kingfishers about today, sadly.


These two little streams enter the river a field back from our bridge.


The Hazels were still covered in catkins on the far bank.


Ahead - an area which had been badly trashed a couple of years back but is mending now - I will spare you the image of the large pile of half-burnt tree-trunks from THAT work.


Looking through the trees to a hillside where once a small cottage once stood - only 1/2 a brick remains where a home once was.


Above, looking upstream, and below - there is a large outcrop of rock in the river here, which catches passing trees and branches when the river's in spate.



A beautiful tree at the river's edge, with an abandoned field behind it.



More destruction of habitat.  This used to be a picnic site, years ago, when there were walks through here.  Now it has been trashed - there's no other word for it.  BIG mature trees taken out and left as stumps.  What's the point?


A cascade of catkins.


Finally, once I was on the lane again, the sunlight shining through these daffs made them glow.

12 comments:

  1. Hugs BB, hope you are okay. Some people should not own land - especially if they are going to trash it. What a mess and a loss of environment. I agree with you. Hope you are a bit easier now and that tomorrow is a better day. Take care Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried because it was a significant sale and I thought I wasn't in the eBay global postal system and didn't know how to check if I was. Tam helped me out though, but it worried me until I got it sorted.

      Delete
  2. Your photographs are lovely and your Spring is further on than we are up here - not a daffodil in sight yet here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, it travels up - and across - the country at so many miles a week I believe. Gloucestershire is about a week ahead of us. I'm guessing you are perhaps a month behind. Hope you have some signs of spring arriving soon.

      Delete
  3. Lovely walk and photos.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos except of the devastation, what will the owners do with the land now?
    Your daffs are ahead of ones here which haven't even go to turning their heads over stage, but sunshine today will help.
    (I didn't know there was such a thing as real live people on ebay!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jury is out on what J will do with the land now - depends on how many bottles of wine he had for his breakfast I suppose!

      I didn't know there were real live people on eBay either, until my daughter rtold me!

      Delete
  5. A lovely lovely walk apart of course for the destruction of habitat :( Lovely to see the catkins and daffodils - I saw some of the latter in flower last Saturday - so early!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The habitat destruction did upset me, but then I saw the bit on the bottom which had grassed over and was looking like I remembered it, only with less trees, so know it will all regenerate, just on a lesser scale. I will miss those lovely trees.

      Delete
  6. Nothing like a walk in the beautiful countryside to ease the mind. What a shame to see the trees cut down. I like the beautiful cheery daffodils. Have a good weekend! Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever I have a problem, I always walk. You can think things through and get them sorted in your mind. I've always enjoyed walking.

      Delete
  7. What is all this "trashing," of which you speak? Sad, certainly.

    But what a beautiful Header you have. What a beautiful place you have, to walk in. Where it hasn't been trashed, that is.

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete