Saturday 16 February 2019

"BOING" (that's the sound of Spring!!)

As you know, I have been gardening this week, making the most of the warm weather and thinking, "Spring's early this year".  Anyway, as I had to go into town this morning, I popped into Morrisons as they are really cheap for plants and bulbs.  I wasn't disappointed, and spent £10 . . .


I have decided to have an area of cutting flowers across the bottom of the veg plot - though the site may move when I finish planning it.  As you can see, I didn't just limit my purchases to Morrisons, and was thoroughly Bad, having gone across the road to the extortionately expensive Wyevale "just to look" and get ideas.  I did TRY to keep my hands in my pockets, really!  For a while, I managed just to stick to the 3 pairs of gardening gloves for £6 (one pair of which is for quilting - holding the material when you are free motion quilting).




I will have to get the Lupins planted tomorrow, as they are sprouting, and either have them beneath the Velux windows in my sewing room, or blow the dust off my seed stack and pop them in there (though I think that needs another plastic jacket before I dare use it for seedlings and the like.)  I have quite a long shopping list of things I need for the garden, apart from the obvious ones like more compost and bark chippings, but will just have to get it as and when.

Right, back to hand embroidering the last panel for the Baltimore quilt.  My tiny blanket stitch has even impressed me with its neatness!

15 comments:

  1. Hi BB some lovely finds there and sometimes you just have to be "Bad" or "Naughty"! Your garden is really going to look lovely (not that it does not anyway). I have also managed to find some of the missing seeds last night and they have been added to the box for me to continue my spreadsheet for. At least I found them but I still think there are a few more to find. Like the idea of the pretty gardening gloves for moving the fabric around whilst quilting. By the way I think you did very well with your "feather" quilting the other day. You will get better with practice. Glad to hear that the Baltimore quilt is going well. Felt like a Spring day here today as well been very mild and the evenings are getting that bit lighter each day. Take care the pair of you. Tricia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad your seeds are starting to turn up. I am not organized enough to do a spread sheet - I just have a bag with seeds in and I plant what can be planted in March or April or whenever. The g. gloves for quilting are great and really helpful.

      Delete
  2. Lovely selection of plants you got there. Been wonderful to see all the plants in our garden showing life - and blooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall doubtless add to them, especially when we go around the car boot sales this summer.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I need to sort my tubs and my dinky planter soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of time yet Simon, but plans are good!

      Delete
  4. Black Sunflower sounds different. I Look forward to seeing photos of everything growing later

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like different things and they would look good in a vase as a foil for brighter colours.

      Delete
  5. Those gardening gloves look to be a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought. They are not heavy duty (but then, I have some of those already). These are for my Dainty Gardening Days!

      Delete
  6. Sarah Raven's stuff looks good, the problem is all the work that goes into planting everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess we always have the choice whether to grow things or not - I still enjoy it (though digging is NOT my favourite chore!)

      Delete
  7. Its difficult not to get excited when faced with rows of seeds and plants! I've not had much success with the packaged plant roots/bulbs, although have been lured to buy them and plant in several garden locations. I'm perusing plant catalogs, but don't know yet how the landscape will look once mounds of earth have been leveled out in front of the new house.
    Your fabric samples remind me of my years working at the quilt shop; it was interesting to view various fabric lines in the different colorways when the Moda
    sales rep came around. I wonder where the sample folders went after each season ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they were at the right price and I was delighted to find 5 slips of the Lupins in each pack, and already sprouted too! I have had to plant them straight away and have them in pots inside buckets under one of the Velux windows in my sewing room to get them started.

      The fabric samples have been added to the stash. Sometimes I buy ones from the curtain shop when they are having a clearance, but have never seen any fabric lines displayed this way at quilting shops here - it's on the roll or fat 1/4s only.

      Delete
  8. Oh those first seed packets, in first pic. Oh how I love those.

    But still being snow covered, can't even think about spring flowers. :-)

    ✨✨✨✨

    ReplyDelete