Thursday 7 February 2019

So many jobs - and "free range"!! quilting

I can see I will have to repeat myself at the beginning of every post - don't bother trying to spam this blog since I moderate ALL comments and will ruthlessly delete anything from people who are anonymous and/or leave spam.



I would like a day off - perhaps a wander round the foothills of the Brecon Beacons when the sun shines (as it did today).  However, I have a list of things to do as long as my arm.  I was later than usual getting up this morning (yesterday I woke at 4 and got up 5.45 so I obviously needed to catch up on sleep).  I began the day as I have most this week by watching The Victorian Arts & Crafts House on iPlayer.  I missed the first two but have seen all four episodes twice now, and found it so inspiring.  As it played, so I hand-embroidered the applique motifs on one of the four panels for my Baltimore quilt, which is progressing nicely.  It would be amazing to be able to become part of an Arts & Crafts commune like that, and learn new skills and have your own elevated to another level.  Did anyone else see it?





Anyway, after that I got changed into my painting clothes and went down to what was mum's bathroom and carried on with the redecorating down there.





One of my slightly better attempts at free motion quilting (on my patchwork teacher's Necchi machine, which goes very fast (normally when I don't want it to!!)  I call this "free range" quilting, as the stitches seem to go all over the place, just like free range hens!  The principal is that you move the material under the needle to follow the pattern.  Hmmm.  I have some pimply (gardening!) gloves which I wear to give better grip to holding the material in place, but sometimes the machine gets the better of me and the gloves!  I need to practice until I get it right before I start the feather quilting on my Random Quilt, which is all rolled up ready, with the first pattern drawn out on the bottom one of the central blocks.

I had been going to use Alex's (teacher's) long-arm quilter, and had been practicing on it, but unfortunately the frame had to come down before 1st Feb and both Alex and I lost a week of quilting time due to prior commitments - hence using the Necchi at home.



I have also done some gardening today, starting to dig over and weed the veg plot, and I cooked up a joint of bacon in my electric pressure cooker (only took 35 mins) so tea was an easy affair and I have some tasty stock to add to the lentil and vegetable soup I made on Tuesday.

Right, this won't do.  Time for my bath.

Oh, an before I forget, the photo showed piles of wooden clog soles being seasoned in stacks in Welsh woodland.  I once did an essay about Welsh woollen mills, and clog-making was associated with the mills because all the offcuts and chippings of wood (usually Alder, because it didn't mind getting worn in the wet) were used to fire the dye pots at the woollen mills - nothing was wasted.

21 comments:

  1. My "free range" quilting needs a lot of practice! It looks as if my chicken might have actually done the sewing! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah - mine looks like turkey tracks so we have a lot in common Jan! It is starting (only just starting) to come together though, and I just need to slow down I think.

      Delete
  2. You are keeping busy! With free machine quilting I would consider using a pair of sewing gloves that look like chainmail.. safety sewing gloves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be a good idea gz, since I have come close to sewing my finger ends several times recently!

      Delete
  3. I wish I could get iplayer here in the US.. I would happily PAY for it!! I have to wait til I get to the U.K. to catch up!!
    My machine quilting is not good. I'd love to be able to use a long arm!
    On my own machine, the machine goes faster than my brain and hands! One of my friends does gorgeous machine quilting on her regular sewing machine.,, I guess it is a matter of practice....
    Would love to have been able to see the woolen mill dye pots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arghh - that's what comesof having wine taken! Lynda - my dear, I am sorry I just deleted your lovely comment by mistake. Please post it again. My apologies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right: Lynda wrote - I wish I could get iPlayer here in the U.S. I would happily pay for it!! I have to wait until I get to the UK before I can catch up. My machine quilting is not good and I'd love to be able to use a long arm! On my own machine, my brain goes faster than my brain and my hands! One of my friends does gorgeous machine quilting on her regular sewing machine. I guess it is a matter of practice. Would love to have been able to see the woollen mill dye pots. Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, Lynda's on here twice now - note to self: ONE glass of wine will suffice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fascinating about the clogs. One of my favourite things is a soft woollen blanket bought from one of the few remaining Welsh wooden mills many years ago. I keep it folded across the end of our Heals Cherrywood Arts and Crafts style bed. And yes, I loved watching the Victorian House and was especially impressed by the metal worker. Which reminds me I found today a J S and S (John Shaw and Sons) copper candle holder in the shape of a flower. It is very beautiful and only cost me a tenner! I was bramble bashing this morning, this time along our front boundary, and my hands and arms are scratched and sore but I cleared enough to be able to pop int a few snowdrops in front of the hedge. I am making a mini log cabin quilt to put in an old oak frame. I saw a very naive example in one of the Petworth antique shops a while back and thought I could do that. I am using tiny scraps from my scrap jar andf grading the colours as one should do and using minute stitches and it is coming together, My other eye-testing project is a tent stitch embroidery on 28 count linen of a cornflower. That will also go in an old oak frame. I am making art for the attic bedrooms with sloping ceilings which is why everything needs to be small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are definitely a gal after my own heart with the Welsh blanket and the Heals bed! Your JS&S candle holder sounds a really good buy - well spotted.

      Indoor jobs for me here today as we started the day with a goodly gale and horizontal rain. I hope your snowdrops soon put in an appearance - the ones along the lanes here, marking where cottages once were, are putting on a lovely show.

      The mini log cabin quilt sounds lovely - small projects are very rewarding as come together so quickly. Sounds like it is all by hand so well done. The Cornflower sounds a very Arts & Crafts flower to sew and will look grand in that count of linen.

      Delete
  8. Your fmq cant be anything like as bad as mine. I’ve been to workshops and practised at home but it has hardly improved and I would hate to spoil a quilt top I had made with clumsy stitching. I decided I was more of a bigstitch hand quilter. It looked more modern tome too and more my style.
    I loved the tv programme. The weather vane was my favourite piece I think.it was interesting to see the cooperation between all the participants. I’m looking forward to theGreat British Sewing Bee too next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to think what my favourite thing was - I loved the design on the wall (reminded me of the Edwardian Country Lady paintings), and the beautiful clock, and the firedogs were grand too. I have just had an early birthday present (VERY early!!) of a book called Victorian Radicals and there is an eagle in there which looks SO like the one they used on the weathervane.

      Delete
  9. am I allowed to comment anonymously if I put my name please? I'm very impressed at all you get done; my own daily list is much more limited! and yes, I watched arts and craft house series and loved it. The people who owned the house where they filmed were lucky to get so many beautiful things- the wall paper, curtains and weather vane were stunning. I thought they could have slowed it down so we saw more of each person and their techniques as it hopped round very fast (my husband is still annoyed at the bit where Abi got given tree trunks to turn into that chair, as he thought that set the challenge unreasonably high!) thank you for your lovely blog. Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're genuine, so I've opened the door for you Cathy! My daily list today is going to be a very short one as I am not feeling 100% so it is going to be a sitting down afternoon I think, and a hotty botty on a poorly tummy. Wasn't that a fabulous house? They must have been paid for the inconvenience AND got to keep the lovely things which were made. I am inclined to agree with your husband about Abi getting given tree trunks to make that chair from and I think he did an amazing job. Glad you enjoy the blog.

      Delete
  10. Brave you. I am very frightened of trying free motion quilting on my machine. Hence I am doing this quilt by hand (and it is taking forever).

    I often wish, like you, that there was a community of crafters here as well. It would be wonderful to learn something to elevate my crafts.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm off to practice some more after lunch. Practice is, let's face it, the only way I am going to crack it.

      Wouldn't it be lovely to have even just a week with fellow-minded people, to inspire you and talk about making wonderful things and then making something extra-special.

      Delete
  11. Wooden clogs! I would never have guessed it but yes, now I can see the form of it :-)
    Bovey, you make me blush about how lazy I am! You get so much done! Well done, you!
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm the lazy one today. I have IBS-type pains and just want to sit down with tv and sewing. When we have a viewing in the offing, that's when I REALLY get to work!

      Delete
    2. Viewings... ugh the worst... Thank you for making me aware of the The Victorian Arts & Crafts House show! We will be catching up on that starting this weekend! And it's in your neck of the woods, I understand?
      KJ

      Delete
  12. Happy Friday! You are a very busy lady. I also feel lazy compared to your busy life. Crocheting has been my joy as we have such very cold temperatures. The lowest has been -40C with the wind chill. Snow accumulation is very high. Please don't remove the anonymous option. :) Have a good weekend! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are never enough hours in the day. When you have to be indoors, as you do, due to the cold outside - minus 40 is terrifying!- you have to have a useful distraction and your crochet is that for you. I hope you have a thaw soon and an early spring.

    ReplyDelete