Wednesday 8 May 2019

A few photos from Builth Antiques Fair

We had a "day off" on Saturday, and went to the Antiques Fair and Fleamarket at Builth Wells.  We had intended to go to Burry Port car boot sale beforehand, but when the alarm went off just after 5 a.m. I just could NOT drag myself out of bed, having been awake much of the night AGAIN.

Normally we trot round the Antiques Fair and really enjoy it, but neither of us had much energy (this was due to the cold we had - not too bad in the nose-blowing department but one which sapped energy and absolutely DRAINED us).  We sauntered along for a couple of hours before going back to the car for lunch, and for two pins I would have stayed there with my book, but half the Fair was unseen and so I gritted my teefs and we went back and enjoyed the 2nd half, though we didn't linger.  I just bought two old horse bits for my collection (£5 worth) and Keith found a couple of bits for the Militaria side of our dealing, so it was worth going, quite apart from seeing lots of our friends there of course.



A puzzling piece - looks Indian, and for displaying something (for sale, one assumes).  The brown bits in the middle are nothing to do with it.  Suggestions on a postcard please . . .


There are lots of Ebernezer Chapels in Wales, and I assume this chest was associated with one of them, for the help of the poor and needy.  However, at first glance, you are bound to think, who the heck was Ebernezer Sick?!!!  They didn't want it broken into, hence the three locks . . .



I can imagine lots of small children would love to play with this wee ship.


A range of tribal goodies.  The many-holed bowl in the front is for an African game - we had a smaller version of it for a while - but I can't recall the name of the game.


Above and below: some really lovely pieces of art pottery on this stand.  I wouldn't mind a few of these on MY stand either.



This lovely carved table is similar (but more ornate) to one Eldest Daughter bought last week.


Bargain Hunt were filming as usual.  Here are the Reds with their Expert.



A selection of old quilts.  This one above is a good honest piece made of heavy flannels.


Below: an interesting old quilt, but sadly the materials were falling apart where the threads had weakened and rotted from sunlight and age.  



Finally - a lovely stand with lots of good old antique pieces, treen, etc.  A stylish collection.


Well, today is carpet-laying day in our bedroom.  I have spent the last two afternoons repainting the back of the door and all the skirting boards in French Chiffon (one of those sort of white-grey or grey-white paints).  I have also given a 2nd coat to parts of the blue walls where it was a little patchy.  I have new curtains (must iron them) in a very light silver grey and the carpet is also light grey, so it will look lovely in there when finished.  We cut up the HORRID pale pink NYLON carpet which I have hated for the past 30 years and taken it off to the dump.  THAT was a very satisfying job!

I am now finally off the steroids, but still needing to catch up on many nights' lost sleep and energy is at a premium.  I needed to rest but have not had the luxury of doing so because there has been so much needing doing to get the house ready to go back on the market.  Hopefully we are nearly there now.  I was cleaning windows yesterday, so that is a step nearer.  Middle Daughter is coming up today to help anyway, so hopefully that will break the back of it, if I can summon the energy to keep going.

10 comments:

  1. I love seeing all the antique fairs that you visit.
    I wondered if the chapel box for helping the sick needed 3 different people with a key each to open it (like charities needing 3 people to sign a cheque or whatever).......by which time the person would be even more poorly!!
    I don't know what it is but I like the square picture panel on the wall on the bottom photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy looking round them with us Sue. I did wonder about 3 different people/keyholders too. Let's hope they lived really locally to the church poor box!!

      I liked that square picture too - didn't get a proper squint at it as stand chappie chatting to us about furniture, but it looked like an old Medieval painting.

      Delete
  2. I do not know how you are doing all this! May it have good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Jill. Off the steroids now, after-effects of the "wee cold" still knocking on, but I am hoping several good nights' sleep will see us both right.

      Delete
  3. Good luck!! IS the Malvern fair as good as the Builth Wells one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley and welcome. Malvern is better in a lot of ways (for us anyway). On Bank Holidays it is absolutely HEAVING with people buying and selling. We ran out of energy (and money) at the Easter one and didn't make it all the way round. If you haven't been before, give yourself a day out. Wear comfortable shoes . . .

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I have been meaning to go to one for years, especially after watching Bargain Hunt for ages. Do you think the best bargains are at Fairs or Auctions?







      Delete
    3. It depends what you are after - there are bargains to be had at both, on the right day! We have had some jolly good buys at Malvern, but find prices there are often shop-prices PLUS some! At an auction you are paying the market value, usually, especially if there is Internet bidding, which most places have these days. In a nice old-fashioned Internet-free auction though, you can sometimes get very lucky. Have fun Beverley! And report back.

      Delete
    4. I will indeed, I have learned loads from a few years of Bargain Hunt, and just need to dip my toes in the water. CHeers.

      Delete
  4. Your blog is an endless delight. Makes me want to go to Wales.
    I too have my dark side- I go to thrift stores and car-boot sales, which we call garage sales. Also, people just leave things out in the driveway for people to take away. Books, small pieces of furniture, dishes, clothes, garden tools - all sorts of goodies. I found a fine music cabinet once, and most of my garden furniture comes from sidewalk finds.

    We are purging the house. Thirty-five years of . . . stuff. Books, Christmas ornaments, LPs, clothes. It is a trap to hold things for others, well, for too long anyway.

    And still I pop into The Nearly New Shoppe several times a week. Cool stuff!

    Thank you for the lovely photographs and wonderful recipes. You must make a wonderful friend.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete