Thursday 18 July 2019

A day out in Hay and Kington - Part I (Hay)


Keith and I had a day out in Hay today, which was very enjoyable - and we chose Market Day especially.  We stopped for fuel in Sennybridge, and I couldn't resist taking a photo of this practical solution to taking your car with you on a delivery (or perhaps they had sold it).  I presume it was put up there by the same fork-lift-truck that put the straw bales up there . . .  You can't say country folk aren't practical!



We caught up with friends and had some real belly-laughs, then we had a wander round the Market.   This is always a very tempting stall for me, but I was good and only bought some Rosemary, some Ground Mace and more Pumpkin Seeds.


The fruit and veg stalls always remind me of the roadside ones the Market Gardeners around Southampton had on the side of the roads.  Mind you, these are a bit more upmarket with an interesting array of vegetables (in my childhood, such things were more basic staples and lots of Strawberries).


A bevy of modern Welsh blankets to choose from.


More tempting vegetables.  As I am largely vegetarian - nay, Vegan at the moment as I can't have any Dairy produce, I was looking at this spread and planning what I could make.


Gorgeous rugs and baskets (I have 3 of the latter, one for shopping and two which have craft stuff in them, wool etc.)


The flower stall . . . I may just have been tempted here.  I blew £5 on a gorgeous deep violet purple Salvia nachtvlinder - never seen one before and hope it survives the winter here.  I'll add a photo tomorrow (when I've taken one).

Just one view taken near Kington, to tempt you to check out tomorrow's post:


11 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to Kington I was raised there and near there at Eywood Lots of memories from over 60 years ago !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bless, Marlane. I am sure my few photos will bring back happy memories. I'm sure it's not changed a great deal - though there are 3 charity shops there now and no banks (nearest Hereford I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my twin sister lives not far away still near Pembridge and keeps me up to date.

      Delete
  3. That market looks superb for wandering round - there are so few like that left. Ours in Leyburn gets less and less each year, which is sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good little market. There's a stand selling Useful Socks too (!) and in the Buttermarket some gorgeous baked goods, jams & marmalades etc, various little useful stalls, and our mate Dave with a few books.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the gorgeous photos! I confess to having at least two of those African baskets! Comfortable to carry and so roomy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit more-ish aren't they? I use my big shopping one regularly, and LOVE the look of the one I have stuffed with balls of yarn . . .

      Delete
  5. We often used to go through Kington when we lived in the Midlands and had an outing to Wales. Lovely little town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy that! I'm glad I can give you some more memories when we are out and about.

      Delete
  6. nice to see who is still selling at Hay...did you go into the buttermarket part as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Dave was in there with a few books and wot nots. Other folk selling wonderful baked goods etc. I make my own bread, and do my own baking though, so it's hard to justify splashing out on one of their delectable things!

      Ian was down the bottom near the Granary, and there was a bread stall down there too, and someone selling no end of different stuffed olives etc, plus some more stalls in the Cheese Market, and Ellen selling her jewellery and crystals etc. The usual suspects!

      Delete