Friday 19 July 2019

Then we went to Kington


Photos rather than words today as I've been awake and doing since 5 a.m. this morning.  This is a view of the middle of Kington which follower Marlane should remember very well.  It was such a peaceful little town, but I am guessing it is busy on market day each Friday.  There's a Saturday market monthly too - crafts and what have you.  There were 3 charity shops, banks all shut (as they are everywhere - nearest one is probably Hereford, or perhaps Leominster), and a good selection of individual traders, plus a Londis and places where you could suit most of your day-to-day needs.  Everyone was SO friendly and if we do move to that area, I have already been offered a place helping at the local Riding for the Disabled group, which would please me no end.

Anyway, back tomorrow, with photos from our outing to the Antiques Roadshow valuations which were held at the National Botanic Gardens today.  We stood queuing in the rain for quite a while, to discover - of course! - that our geese were just geese and not gilded swans!!











What a place to put a telegraph pole - totally spoils that lovely view!!

16 comments:

  1. It was very peaceful and quiet. There's a bit more of a buzz in Hay but that said, Hay can be like a ghost town too - only needs the tumbleweed blowing about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same experience at Antiques Roadshow, minus the rain. My great grandmother's two wedding presents were not valuable, just old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little miffed as the expert I saw had seen my stand at the Botanic Gardens when he was on one of the Bargain Hunt programmes, so he knew I was a dealer wanting to find out about what I had taken, and then the value he gave was a 1/3 of the melt value so he wasn't very helpful was he?! He's off my Christmas card list now!

      Delete
  3. It looks a lovely town. A shame about that telegraph pole!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a definite GRRRRR from me! Even the header photo has phone lines across the middle!

      Delete
  4. It never cease to amaze me how telegraph poles are everywhere there is a good view - they must seek them out! They should be banned from view and in the ground!
    KJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you KJ. Underground would be better when there's a view . . .

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, not many gilded swans round my way that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got goose bumps (pimples) I remember it oh so well. I lived on Bridge St and later went to Lady Hawkins School. Thanks for the photos and of course wishing you more viewings and a perfect buyer for your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased that it brought back memories. It seems such a pleasant little town.

      Delete
  7. and I forgot I also went to the brick junior school by the supermarket just down from the Market hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will get a photo of it when we go back next marlane.

      Delete
    2. I had an idyllic childhood LOL until my parents split up when I was 11.

      Delete
    3. Oh what a shame about that happening. It does look the sort of place you would have an idyllic childhood still though.

      Delete