Wednesday 24 July 2019

Country Talk




On Monday we went to see some smallholding friends of ours.  What a lovely afternoon we had, being shown around the property, drooling over various plantings, meeting their livestock and generally talking Country Talk.

It's always nice to find someone you are on the same wavelength as, and H and I get on like a house on fire.  I took cake and jam (I wouldn't dream of going empty-handed) and H & P provided a lovely lunch of home made Lettuce Soup (a new one on me, but very tasty), and bacon butties - so Keith was pleased as that's always what he has when we "go out for lunch"!  (I know . . .)

Then we had the tour of the smallholding, which was wonderful.



The soft fruit area - various Raspberries shown here - autumn ones, orange and yellow and black Raspberries, plus - out of sight - Loganberries, Amelanchier, Tayberries, Jostaberries, Boysenberries, Wineberries, Honeyberries, Pink Blueberries and blue Blueberries, Chilean Guava, Chuckleberries, Blackberries, plus Mulberry, Blackcurrant, Red Currant, Pink Currant, White Currant etc - I don't think H had missed anything in the berry department!


The Lavenders in part of her big herb plot - which was divided into four areas - Culinary Herbs, Medicinal Herbs, Sensory Herbs and ??? (forgotten!)  I am now inspired to reinvent mine, as it has gotten moved several times down the years and is more dotted about than in the one place.  I have promised H a big root of my Elecampane, which romps around the place here but she's not been able to keep going in her plot.  The roots on my plants are as thick as my wrist so should grow on well.



A nicely laid out and TIDY (e.g. no weeds) veg plot.  Most of mine is under black plastic to suppress the grass and I am trying to get rid of all the weeds now I can get out in the garden again.



The very start of H's orchards of fruit and nut trees.  All planted in the last five years.


A Belgian hare of the most beautiful russet colour, who came from a local poultry auction recently.


Apricots growing against a warm wall.  Apparently they were sulking and curling their leaves until H & P put a little roof on them and now they are happy, content and fruiting.  I am guessing the roof made a little micro-climate for them to thrive in.


Beside the main house is this little barn which is home to a couple of spare rooms, including this working kitchen where they do jam and chutney making, sausage making, and other meat-related work.   H had demijohns hanging from the rafters, empty glass storage jars and jam jars, pans of various dimensions, a big chopping block, and no end of useful items.  She was saying every time she used things, she remembered the person who had given them to her.



P's salamis and choritzos, made recently, and now curing.


Finally, one of the triplet lambs they had taken on after the ewe had rejected it (I think they ended up with about 10).  She drank her bottle of milk in double-quick time!

We had a lovely afternoon there and the conversation was all about country things, making things from scratch, growing things, repurposing, nothing being thrown away and just downright practical country common sense (unlike the new townee neighbour who was feeding the local foxes . . .)

Can't wait to see them again.

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely place. My late aunt used to say she was feeding the foxes - every time she realised they had got into the hen house in the night! Still - they are hopefully keeping the foxes away from someone else's property, although the horrible thing about foxes is that they just like the killing part, over and above what they need to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly these foxes think that cat food isn't enough and are still a problem on my friends' smallholding. We used to have Polecats instead - and they can get through the tiniest space.

      Delete
  2. Oh that looks a lovely place to visit. I bet you had a fab time. Love a tidy veg plot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so tranquil there - a little bit of heaven.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful visit!
    Apricots also suffer from Peach Leaf Curl, its a fungus carried by rain and wind...so a roof is sensible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the Apricots must have had. The roof worked a treat!

      Delete
  4. just a thought on foxes...when we lived by a village in Gwynedd our farm neighbour tolerated his local fox as she kept the rodents down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, these foxes still like the cut and thrust of murder in the field if they can get it, as my friend's poultry are free-range in the day.

      Delete
  5. How lovely. I like their extra kitchen as well very practical. Tbat home curing (Salamis and Chorizo) looks delicious too. Something that I would like to get into once I get everything sorted. Glad you had a lovely time makes a real difference when you are on the same wavelength. Looks a lovely smallholding too. Now I know what I need in the form of a working kitchen. I have about 12 demijohns that I need to store somewhere. Sadly I am not able to hang mine from the rafters at the moment. Take care and hope you are more comfy. Pattypanxx

    ReplyDelete