Thursday 11 July 2019

A walk around Laugharne


We were at Laugharne yesterday, at the small car boot sale which is held there every Wednesday.  Gosh, I can remember doing that one many years ago (10?) and it hadn't changed.  Chatting to one of the regular stallholders, he said he had been there since 5 a.m. (!) to get his regular pitch.  Crazy- then you have to wait 5 hours for the first customers!!  Laugharne being a tourist stop, folk obviously considered it worthwhile to sell there.  We didn't!  Ah well, at least it's a lovely spot to be and when I was bored, I had a wander round with my camera.  

Above: Laugharne castle, overlooking the salt marshes and the river Taf. HERE is a link to its history and lots more photos. 



A little glimpse of Dylan Thomas' boathouse around the corner . . .


This is Maxine, who belongs to the early-rising stallholder.


Looking out across the mouth of the Taf.  The light keeps changing on the water, making for some atmospheric moments.






Above: this is Island House, which has long fascinated us - we would LOVE to see inside!!  It's had the scaffolding up for a couple of years now, but not a lot seems to be happening.


Colourful hanging baskets.  Wish I could plant some up like this (the secret is the bigger the basket I believe).




Walking up the hill towards the Bell Tower, past (below) the entrance to the Castle.  



I turned left at the Bell Tower and up the little cobbled street which leads round in a loop, down this little lane (well, lane is a bit grand for it really!) and a row of small cottages.


A glimpse of the marshes . . .



Then down the pathway which takes you along the bottom of the castle walls and back to the car park.


Codlins and Cream!  (Greater Willowherb).


Purple Loosestrife.  I have 3 clumps of this in my garden, and the Codlins and Cream also blooms about the place though I had to evict some this year . . .


The Taf starting to come in - at very high tide parked cars are sometimes encroached upon if parked in the wrong place.


White Mallow - isn't it beautiful?

Right, I've spent long enough on the computer.  Time to crack on with the ironing.

8 comments:

  1. It is a place I love (as I love Under Milk Wood) so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed the walk round with me then Pat. It is a lovely dreamy little place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous flowers and views. Thanks for the tour around the castle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the walk. I'll try and find some castle photos I took last time we went inside.

      Delete
  4. I did enjoy your beautiful photos. Like Weaver, I feel as though Laugharne is very familiar, thanks to Dylan Thomas. I would love to go there one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put the kettle on my dear. You are welcome any time (and can collect your butterflies too!!)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for all that - new to me.

    ReplyDelete