Saturday 4 April 2020

Give us this day our daily bread


I have been keeping busy in the kitchen this past week.  These shallots and pickling onions were in a bag I got from Abergwili before Lockdown.  The shallots were starting to go soft and so I decided to pickle them.  Haven't done any for years (since trying to cut out any high-in-histamine stuff from my diet).  At least I can put these on the table when friends Pam and Dunc are able to come over for a chat and nibbles again.





These are the Cornish Fairings in the recipe in the side bar.  I have one or two at lunchtime to keep us going when Logging.


Yesterday's Panasonic dough was made into a Cottage Loaf sprinkled with doubtless out-of-date Sesame seeds.  This brought back some childhood memories as mum would ask me to "save her legs" and go to the corner shop and get a Cottage Loaf (which was always deliciously burnt on the top!)  By the time I got home, I would have eaten the topknot!


Bread Muffins for breakfast, made using the recipe below.  (A little bread book I got from Hastons corner shop in 1980). The mucked up one in the middle was the last little bit of dough, hastily reformed and stuffed into the scone cutter.  I think I shall make the next lot from just ordinary bread dough, and roll them in semolina before flattening slightly.



Finally a fairly unremarkable apple cake for puddings (I will jazz it up a bit another time), here's the recipe which came to me via Facebook:

Simple Apple Slice
2 cups self raising flour
1 cup sugar
3 apples, peeled, cored and diced (1cm)
125g butter or margarine
1 egg
directions
Toss apples with self raising flour and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
Melt butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop or in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in egg.
Pour butter and egg into the apple mixture and mix until combined.
Spoon into a greased and lined slice tin.
Bake at 180 C for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Keeps for about 3 days.

7 comments:

  1. Lovely baking :) We used to grow shallots to pickle - gosh they made your eyes water when you were preparing them! I love Cornish Fairings. My daughter made a Butterscotch Traybake yesterday which was rather lovely. Having to ration baking though in case we run out of ingredients!!! Need to keep some for Easter. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RR. It kept me occupied anyway. I can remember doing the proper pickling onions and they used to make me cry. These weren't too bad, but I did do them very quickly. That Butterscotch Traybake sounds lovely.

      Stay safe and well in your household too.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the muffin recipe. They are not what I recognize as a muffin but I am going to try them. I really enjoy reading your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they are not a proper bread muffin, though they use yeast, because of not using strong bread flour. The one I had for breakfast was VERY filling! Muffins are normally small cakes in cases here, but these are a version of the breakfast muffin to be toasted.

      Delete
  3. Such lovely baking, it is good to give our hands something to do isn't it. I have too have restricted my histamine intake in the past it is a hard one to keep in check isn't it, I hope you are managing to keep on top of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad used to bake cottage loaf, havn't eaten that in years. Yours looks delicious. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be doing my baking on Wednesday of this week. Must have some treats to give to our youngest son and something for us as well.

    Do all cottage loaves have a topknot?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete