Sunday 19 April 2020

Some Memory Lane baking

The new header photo is from yesterday's walk (it's SO good to get out again) - when we walked upstream of our bridge.


I had a baking day last week - I think it was Tuesday, and didn't even get started till 4 p.m. and took the last thing out of the oven at 7.30, which is most unlike me.  I am a morning person.

This is Lemon Meringue Pie - now, I haven't made one of these in many a long year, but by golly, was it GOOD.  Made with Duck eggs, the colour of the lemon part reminded me of those Sherbet Lemon sweets we ruined our teefs on back in the day. I have to say, this got demolished in fairly short order.  I made it because we had LEMONS in our greengrocery order (imagine my disappointment the previous week when we found they had put Onions in, having heard me wrongly on the phone).  Just 3 Lemons, and one of those was soft at one end, but I wasn't going to waste ANY of it, so I cut that to third off, put it on the glass juicer, and then wrung the rest of the juice out by hand! I managed to get some zest and the juice from the other half, so nothing went to waste.  I also got lots of juice from 2 very elderly Lemons I found beneath the apples in the fruit bowl - I bunged them in the Popty Ping (Microwave) for a short while and they exploded with juice. I used my original Margeurite Patten cookbook for the recipe, as it cannot be improved upon, but there are doubtless many recipes out there on t'internet.  I cooked it in a very slow oven for an hour to get a crispy meringue topping.  





More Lemony-ess - a Lemon Drizzle cake, which went straight into the freezer to remove temptation!  I used the recipe for Tangy Lemon cake from one of my Farmhouse Kitchen cookbooks:






Now, this is a complete and utter blast from the past which I haven't made for probably 20 years.  It is Georgia Blackberry Spice Cake and was a failure - and I seem to remember it being Very Heavy in the past which, given it has 1 1/2 lbs plain flour and only 1 tspn, baking soda, is scarcely surprising!  I will put the recipe, you can try it with (lots) more baking soda (8 tsps?), or use Self-Raising flour (what I'd do another time, post-Pandemic).  It needs heating up in the Popty Ping just to get a spoon in it (for dessert, with cooked fruit).  Having used all those ingredients, I am NOT going to chuck it.  It came from an American penpal, whose full  name now eludes me - and I have a note beneath my written recipe which says "this "receipt" is well over 150 years old and has been a well-kept family secret for much of that time".  I can see why!!

Nigella's tip: To create self-raising flour from plain flour - for 150g/1 cup (5.3 oz) plain flour use half-teaspoon baking powder and half-teaspoon of bicarbonate soda (also known as baking soda). 

GEORGIA BLACKBERRY SPICE CAKE

1 1/2 lbs flour, sifted
6 oz butter
1 lb sugar (I halved this and it's sweet enough)
1 tspn baking soda
1 tspn cinnamon
1 tspn ground cloves
1 tspn ground allspice
4 eggs, beaten
4 oz buttermilk (if you only have milk, add a tspn Lemon Juice)
1 wineglass Blackberry Wine (I used Hay Car Park Small Plum Gin!)
8 oz bramble jelly (which I had some home made jars of in the cupboard)

Add soda and spices to flour and sift.  Cream butter, add sugar and beaten eggs.  Add alternately flour mixture, buttermilk, wine and jam.  Mix well.  Pour into floured cake pan and bake at 350 deg.F/180 deg. C/ Gas Mark 4 for about an hour.

(Sharon, is this a recipe you've ever heard of?)

I'd be interested to see other people's results with a proper raising agent, but this is probably best left until we aren't running on a Pandemic supply system for flour - which is like gold dust in some places.




This tasty Toad in the Hole was super that night - with the batter, even when cooked, a bright primrose yellow from the free ranging ducks.  

Right, off to go and listen to the Archers Omnibus and bake some biscuits.

Let me know if you can't read the print for the recipes and I'll type them up for you.

14 comments:

  1. That Toad looks utterly divine - and dare not even mention the Lemon Pie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed a Mile High Toad in the Hole! The Lemon Pie has all been eaten, but Tam and I are still losing weight (which says we are a) working more outside and walking regularly, and b) have to ration any chocolate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The toad in the hole looks delicious and the lemon meringue a delight, yummy. I can see a lmon pie in our very near future...

    ReplyDelete
  4. MM - I saw one on someone's Instagram page and had a sudden yearning for it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for inspiring me to do some baking. Lemon Meringue Pie is my husband's favorite and I better use the lemons before they expire. We buy free range eggs and our supplier has duck eggs as well. Nice of you to share these recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy, glad I was inspiration for a pie for your husband. We always try to get proper F/R eggs rather than supermarket F/R which aren't the same thing at all!

      Delete
  6. Memories of when we had Muscovy Ducks..and wonderful eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had Muscovies too - one was called Esmeralda and used to like flying up to the top of the Ash tree and surveying her kingdom! I know, you should clip their wings to stop them flying, but she didn't go far and was so beautiful in flight. We had about 35 ducks at one point in the 90s and 60 - 70 hens, and beautiful primrose-coloured pancakes!

      Delete
  7. I love toad in the hole. I just started making it this past year.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It "hits the spot" as they say, with a good onion gravy.

      Delete
  8. Lots of lovely baked goodness. I haven't had toad in the hole for years but being vegetarian it has lost its appeal! You have got me wanting lemon meringue pie, that reminds me of childhood my mum used to make it a lot, I have a Marguerite Pattern recipe book I wonder if it has the same recipe in it? I am off to have a look.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would it work with vegetarian sausages? Probably not quite the same though. These were garlic and pork sausages too - oh my! I wouldn't mind betting that recipe is in your book too. It was the one cookery book which taught me to cook when I was first married (first time round).

      Delete
  9. The blackberry cake recipe isn't one I'm familiar with, but then I have a scant half dozen cake recipes that I dare to make. Unusual here to measure flour by ounces and pounds--usually given in cup increments. Sounds like a recipe you won't use again!
    My Lemon Meringue Pie recipe is one I've used for many decades, originally published in 'Family Circle Magazine.' It calls for 3 eggs; the yolks are whisked and added to the saucepan mixture of cornstarch, lemon juice, sugar and water, all cooked together.
    J. was inspired to bring home 3 pkgs of graham cracker crumbs with the report that the Beachy ladies used them as crust for a lemon pie. I made one such last Saturday. I can state that an icebox type filling is much better suited to a graham cracker crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so cross because flour is so precious and it took so much! Keith, bless him, plodded his way through it but I don't have the heart to tell him there's a smaller one in the freezer! Glad you have a reliable Lemon Meringue pie recipe - it sounds similar. Are Graham Crackers what we might recognize as Digestive Biscuits I wonder?

      Delete