Tuesday 14 April 2020

I knew it would end in alcohol . . .

This dead tree marks the boundary of our land with Next Door's.  It has been dieing all the time we've been here and we have long had it earmarked for fuel (but not wanting to spend £500 plus to have it taken down and logged.)  Now some branches have fallen off - but into Next Door's field, and the only working chainsaw we have is the plug in electric one (though that is marvellous for yard logging, including the trees we've just had felled at the top of the yard).  It's frustrating looking at those big old fallen branches and knowing we can't get them back home to cut up for the fire.



Today is not a good day.  I am p'd off because I can't go outside - even for a minute - because of the pollen.  I am coming off the steroids now so I daren't jeopardise that recovery.  There is SO MUCH to do outside too - in the garden mainly - and I can't even go and water round or look at how things are growing.  It's so frustrating and I'm climbing the walls.

Plus this is an "intrusion from the outside world" day - first of all my prescription was delivered, and I had to bring it in and unwrap it as my inhalers have to go in the fridge.  Then much hand-washing of course.  Also, Tam had to go to the PO to post something she had sold to America, so I quickly finished two letters I was writing, and got the letter (overseas) in an envelope, and then I put some books in a parcel with a letter to my dear friend in Dorset.  However, I had forgotten to print off the postage for them (which is what T always does) and so I was instantly wrong-footed by a stressed Tam - she worries about having to go out in the first place, as she fears bringing Covid-19 back to us.  

Then there was this week's greengrocery delivery - the ordering went well today, but my goodness, prices are up.  There was no Broccoli or Spring Greens, and 3 Lemons (got them this week!) were £1.20 - normally I could buy 10 for £1 there.  The Cauliflower was £1.50 too and carrots had gone up from 50p to 75p but I suppose that will be the way of it this year and until we are back to normal supplies - which could well be this time next year. Just as well we are growing as much ourselves as we can. Tam had to go and collect that and then it goes into quarantine, but I was low on apples so those are up and soaking in a bucket of soapy water and I won't eat them until all the others are eaten so they should be alright by then. Queue much handwashing and handcream again . . .

I got some of last year's Blackcurrants out of the freezer this morning and have them in the dehydrator, to go in with muesli.  I have also started off another lot of sprouting beans - this time some dried chick peas, so they will be a bit beefier than the Mung beans were.  Yesterday I got my Blackberry wine into the Demijohn and sat it on a warm windowsill, and the alchemy is working already.  Tam's beer (also in a demijohn) had Done Nothing in a warmish room, and we feared the yeast was dead, but Keith found the home-made heater he had made when he used to make beer regularly (his was just the open a tin and add water type though, not the mash and hops that Tam's kit used) and now the beer is bubbling away beautifully.  Phew.  Tam thought perhaps she had ruined it because the yeast was dead and would some frozen fresh yeast (discovered in a freezer recess) work?

Anyway, enjoy these photos from last week about this time, when I was still out walking (when probably I should have already been hiding from the pollen indoors, but I was helping Keith and Tam with the logging).



Primroses in the bank, and the view across the valley towards the Italianate tower of Pantglas.



Canada Geese on the top pond.


Looking across to Bannau Sir Gaer (aka Picws du - Black Mountain) the higher of these two end peaks of the Carmarthen Fan range.  The slightly lower one behind it is Waun Lefrith.  At the base of Picws du is the magical glacial lake of Llyn-y-Fan-Fach.


The colourful leaves of Shining Cranesbill (Geranium lucidum) in a bank.  


Views above and below looking up the valley.



Beautiful blossom on the Blackthorn - Blackthorn Winter still according to that, despite the heat we have had this past 10 days.



Finally, looking across our field to the back of our house.  Home.  Safety in a time of turmoil.

The alcohol was a glass of wine with our evening meal, and the promise of another later.  I have found somewhere lovely I can sit in the sun - by the only West-facing window in the house - in the Junk Room.  The window desperately needs cleaning though (job for tomorrow)  and I need to rearrange that window corner muchly so I can fit a comfortable seat there.  That's a job for the morning.  Then I can then look across at our top field, feel the sunshine, watch the wildlife and the heifers who are up there to calve, and enjoy my book or my hand-sewing and relax. 

13 comments:

  1. Celandines, primroses and the hardy gerabium well in leaf - well things are looking up. Keep cheerful BB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mostly do keep cheerful - just the occasional wobble when we have contact with the Outside World. This sunshine is AMAZING.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear the pollen is causing you so many problems and you can't get outside.

    We had a supermarket delivery today too and I must admit it hugely raises the anxiety levels although really I should be grateful that we have managed to arrange a few and not had to actually go to a supermarket. Same here with the quarantining of items - it is a pain and a nightmare. Also on went one of the few precious pairs of disposable gloves left and out came the dettox wipes. Then as you say handwashing ad infitum - my hands are so dry and cracked :( As I was already anxious I then opened all the quarantined post from the last week - more handwashing!! I am beginning to feel quite phobic a times.

    Thankfully, my daughter has suspended her ebay sales so no trips to post office. I was a bit naughty this afternoon and took the car for a short local run to check out the blossom trees. It is the first time I have been out in the car and away from our house and garden for 3 weeks and even that made me full of anxiety. The number of cars on the roads is still unbelievably high.

    I loved your photos of your local area - so good to see some countryside. I wish I could walk somewhere locally where I could be sure there would be no people! I have a couple of glasses of wine some evenings but am rationing wine too! I wish I hadn't got rid of all my winemaking equipment!!!

    Do hope pollen levels decrease for you soon and you can get in the garden. Take care and stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a right royal PITA I can tell you! However, I am fighting back and working on getting my gut flora readjusted as I know that is at the bottom of all this (since that stupid mare of GP had me on anti-biotics for 3 years rather than doing a simple sputum test).

      I wiped the milk down with bleach yesterday, then soap and water, then worried that bleach had gotten in past the seal and ruined the milk! I am a Dope at the moment.

      Gabby brought us some disposable gloves a few weeks back, bless her, but I am using some brand new gardening gloves - the sort which are covered in rubber - to open post, carry in deliveries, so that works quite well. I hope you have managed to find some handcream (I found some thin stuff which I normally would have turned my nose up at!) in the back of a cupboard and it was like winning the pools! If you can't get it, but can get lard - as soon as the elder is in flower, pick some fresh flower heads, carefully slowly melt the lard in a pan and add the elder flowers. Cook over a very gentle heat for about 15 mins or so, then drain into containers. This is AMAZING stuff and will get into the driest hands and heal them. I make it every year. I shall put the recipe up on today's blog anyway. Vegans will want to use a different base, obviously!!!

      I don't blame you for a quick jaunt in the car. The furthest we have been lately is our smallholding friend a mile and a half away!

      Kicked myself this year for getting rid of all MY winemaking equipment as I had to buy fresh - £40 worth plus postage - but Tam will inherit it now!!

      Stay safe, my dear.


      Delete
    2. Thankfully, still have a few pairs of disposable gloves left and keep them for opening post and unpacking shopping!!! Thanks so much for tip re: handcream - sounds lovely although I would use vegetable fat! I do have a little bit of database gel I found from when my psorisias on hands was bad so am now using that just at bedtime. Thanks again and stay safe :)

      Delete
  3. I am sorry to hear that you are still confined to the house, that must be really hard. Thank you for sharing the lovely photos of where you live, your views are wonderful.

    I am intrigued to read that you are dehydrating blackcurrants for muesli, I don't eat muesli but I do have lots of blackcurrants and a dehydrator you have got me thinking about what else I could use them for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am climbing the walls with steroid energy and gardening frustration right now, but I'll live!! Glad you enjoy the views - we are SO LUCKY to live where we do (and say this so many times . . .)

      My husband makeshis own Muesli mix and has dried fruit in it (the mixed sort you buy), dried cranberries etc and I have Granola, which is nice with the sharpness of dried fruit in. I need the freezer room and the next blackcurrants will soon be with us, and whilst I'll make wine with some (or jam) I will dry the rest.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to rad about the pollen affecting you so badly, hopefully the steroids will kick in and you will feel better soon. In the short term anyway... I have just had a sort through the freezer to see what is lurking underneath, not a pretty sight but still plenty there. The prices of fruit and veg are getting higher daily we have made a start on growing our own but it all takes time. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only had a reaction to tree pollen since we have had a ridiculously hot spell in April (used to get this in May, when we first moved to Wales end of 1980s). When in May, it didn't cause a tree pollen bomb of course! The bottom of my freezer (on the left) probably has yet more blackberries . . . Right now, I could do with Instant Veg in the plot!!

      Delete
  5. I did not realize that Canada Geese travel across the pond! We have flocks flying overhead honking for most of the day. Snow Geese, Lesser Canada Geese and Brandt geese are flying as well now.

    Love that primroses grow wild in the UK.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do. Very common here. The Primroses are a magical sight in Spring.

      Delete
  6. The wind is putting dust in the air and my Valley Fever is acting up so I understand your frustrations.
    All the geen and flowering around the home is lovely.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, another one suffering. The trees are all springing into leaf now so by the time I am able to go out for walks again, the valley will look totally different.

      Delete