Friday 18 December 2020

Trying to move mountains

 I woke before 3 a.m. again and didn't sleep again, and so I am feeling just a tad worn out now.   Today saw lots more phone calls, chasing things along,  finding out the state of play and hoping we may, just may, exchange before Christmas.  But of course Christmas is the fly in the ointment as various offices close down early, stay closed down for a week (or even two in the case of the Removal peeps).  I have had to leave messages for folk out of the office and rely on the good grace of others to help in their stead. Very frustrating.



    Today saw another trip to the Charity shop - perhaps the last now.  3 more boxes of really good books to go somewhere.  We will sort that out next week.

    An Amber weather alert has been mixed up in all of this, which meant we had to go the long way round to everywhere, as the bottom lane is already under water.  We managed to do our good deed for the day when we had had to turn around before the Mill, and met a big Argos van heading for the flood - and even if he had gotten through that, he would have had to reverse back through it again as he was too big to go across the bridge. Poor chap had to turn around - I wish I'd had the presence of mind to say follow me home as he was heading for a neighbour beyond us, but by then my brain was cooked!

    Our river (the Cothi) is running very high and very fast.  I am glad we live a hundred feet above it and our new home is also situated well above the flood plain.  However, the steep hills in and out of here had turned into shallow rivers themselves, as the rain washed off the fields down onto the road, bringing rocks and soil with it.  The new folk will be glad of their Landrover.

    The Towy is of course spread right across its flood plain - sorry for no photos, but I was driving and it was chucking it down with rain.  If you go to Google and type in "Towy Flood Plain flooding" photos will come up, including several of mine!

    


    Now, if I can find some energy from somewhere, perhaps Tam and I can finally dress the tree . . .

12 comments:

  1. I am glad you are above the flooding. Hope all goes well with the move. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to wait and see now, as things have changed now we're in Tier 4 and Lockdown in an hour.

      Delete
  2. I've been reading about the flooding there. Stay safe. PS: get that tree up! You've only got 7 more days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tree is up (it was on Monday) and finally dressed (last evening) and looks lovely. I'll put up a photo tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. I hope you do manage to exchange before Christmas - our latest date is the middle of Feb!!! Cannot believe that we should have been in our new home on 23rd November. The actions of one person in a chain can be devastating. As you can tell - I am NOT over what he did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sounded very selfish, to ruin it all for the chain above them. At least you will get to your lovely new home, although later than you planned.

      Things have changed at the flick of a switch here, so who knows if we WILL exchange soon now?

      Delete
  4. I feel your pain...I have ended up moving home between Solstice and Christmas a few times.
    Not ideal, but it gets to the point of the sooner the better!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've moved in the past, but NEVER had such shennanigans as this. A difficult buyer, sadly.

      Just want to move now.

      Delete
  5. Hope you manage to exchange before Christmas, it will give you pace of mind. The flooding doesn't sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we may have lost the peace of mind. Glad we refused to give up the Covid Clause . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. The many creeks in Kentucky can flood mightily with a few hours of rain--J. and H. have constructed a bridge across the rather ridiculously named 'Dry Creek' which fronts the new property. Each time flood water comes through the gravel and small rocks are dramatically rearranged. I think that old saying 'The Lord willing and the creek don't rise' must have originated in this area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours goes up 6 feet and back down in just a few hours when it's really raining.

      Dry Creek sounds like it was named in irony! Love the saying.

      Delete