Thursday 5 May 2022

Hereford Cathedral - part 1

 A good start to the day - NOT - my week old mouse just died on me so I've had to order another and then learn how to scan a copy of the bar code to return it - I just take it to Llandod (would rather stick in an envelope and save the fuel!) and they scan the code and package it etc.  More technology!  I had to use my card to pay for parking in Hereford yesterday, having mindfully bought something with a £10 note so I had plenty of change for parking!  I am being dragged, kicking and screaming, into the 21st Century.  Update - couldn't do anything with the touch pad on the computer - it was SO slow going through the photos, so I shot to Llandod to return the old mouse and got the LAST mouse in Tesco (left because it was £20!! There was no price on it but I was desperate.)


Beautiful Hereford Cathedral.


I could do a whole post JUST on the stained glass, and another JUST on the late Medieval stone memorials. I am kicking myself for not buying a guide book because I had seen one here recently.  Darned if I can remember in which bookcase now!


Lift up thine eyes.


The beautiful font and its setting.  I did take a photo of one of the little lions? but it wasn't sharp enough to share.



The nave was lined with shrines of the great and good in Hereford's history.  Quite a few were sans faces - down to Cromwell's troops one assumes.


As you can see, I was having a bad day with focusing the camera.  This was partly down to rushing to be back to Keith, and partly me worried about paying to get out of the car park as I hadn't noticed the payment area on the way out and didn't want to get my knickers in a twist having to pay on the way out with card.  Above was the tomb of St Thomas Pembridge anyway.  


Beautiful carvings when you looked up and of course, amazing Norman architecture.


Above and below this is the wonderful SAS Memorial called Ascension.  It was unveiled in 2017.  The glass is beautiful - now that is GOOD modern stained glass.  It was created by Royal Academy Sculptor John Maine.  The glass was assembled in Germany by Derix using 4,000 pieces of European glass in 40 different colours.   A wonderful tribute to those brave men from the Regiment (which is based in Hereford).  HERE is a piece which describes it in detail.



Stupendous stained glass.  I wish I had paid more attention and noted what was what!











There will be more tomorrow - after the dash into Llandod, I spent the morning filling informs and my brain is a bit addled now.  HERE is a link to the timeline of the Cathedral.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful and one place I've been - I think they were serving food in the back of the Nave ? Although that sounds a bit odd now I think about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right Sue, they have a busy little cafe there, as does Gloucester Cathedral and probably some of the others. I can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A magnificent cathedral! I've just read through the information at the links you provided, all very interesting although the right edge of the site explaining the SAS window was cut off on my screen! Must have missed what those windows replaced or is the area of the cathedral they are new? Those are lovely. Thanks for the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The SAS window and shrine is on the opposite wall to the main door where you enter the cathedral. Is this link any good? https://www.eatsleepliveherefordshire.co.uk/new-sas-memorial-art-installation-opened-hereford-cathedral/

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos - my old camera really struggled with light in that cathedral. I really must go back as we only had an hour there due to parking problems!! Wonderful stained glass especially the modern one - it is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gloomy in places, but new lights have been put up which light the wonderful pieces of worked stone higher up. I parked by Waitrose - multi storey car park - you are clocked in automatically and then just pay for however long you were there on the way out. The SAS stained glass is something else.

      Delete
  6. I have only ever been through the place, I cannot remember stopping off in Hereford. Pembridge, is he any thing to do with the village. Aldworth church has a lot of effigies and most of them have had Cromwells mark on them. The stained glass in the cathedral looks good but no doubt there is more than you can shake a stick at in the place. Why type of camera do you use? I used to use my DSLR but now have a mirrorless version so do not drag my tripod around with me so much. Also use an iphone on a lot of them. I like the last tomb in the series, it's nice to see it still has paint.
    BTW I would not use the mice from Tesco unless it is a know make, even then I would be wary. Amazon is where I got my wireless one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hereford is a lovely town (well, city technically)and worth a visit. Pembridge is associated with the village - though his actual castle was near Welsh Newton. The name derives from 'headland' and 'bridge' (Pen-y-bont in Welsh, Penebrugge in old English - transl. to Pena's Bridge.) My camera is a Panasonic DMC 2Z70. At the time I wanted one which did good close-ups for taking wild flowers etc. It takes OK scenery views, but when flustered I occasionally don't notice it's on soft face instead of long distance views! I was flustered on Wednesday. Never had a tripod or a really good camera - just point and click!

      The mouse was bought in total desperation (and works well) - I normally get from Amazon, but the last one was rubbish. I couldn't get through the photos to get to the ones I needed in less than about 2 minutes so it was sending me nuts!

      Delete
  7. Glad you got out of the car park! What a wonderful cathedral and that SAS window and the font are so beautiful. Could not read the third leg saga but it sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much to see at the Cathedral, but I had to gallop round because of getting back to Keith (clot that I am, I put my mobile in a different handbag to the one I took!)

      Delete
  8. You have so many amazing churches and cathedrals. I imagine that you could devote a lifetime to seeing them all...and not be able to get them all in! The windows are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're spoilt for choice in these parts, I have to say. There will be lots more to visit.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous photos, you went to a lot of trouble to bring them to us! Beautiful building, the stained glass and the roof are faves, along with the Mappa Munda. Hereford is a very pleasant town, I used to live in Pontrilas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to go back. I missed 1/3 rd of it because I was hurrying. Fancy you living just down the road in Pontrilas. We are ALWAYS seeing their timber lorries on the roads.

      Delete