Wednesday 11 May 2022

Hereford Cathedral Part II

 








The John Piper Tapestries - the link tells you about them and also about the history of the Cathedral. 




One of the great and good . . . There were many in the Cathedral.


This small side chapel had the most amazing atmosphere - imbued with prayer down the centuries.  The stained  glass windows were stunning too - like paintings.






Tomb of St Thomas Cantilupe, who was Bishop of Hereford Cathedral until 1275, and he was enshrined here after his death in 1282.






My favourite part!  Some of the Herefordshire Romanesque bits survived, if not in situ.




A Green Man without a doubt!




This has taken forever to put up!  I have to go and collect a small freezer for Eldest Daughter from Llandod.  It is, of course, pouring with rain - but my garden is delighted, although the lawn is literally growing as I watch it!

Billy - suggestions please for a budget camera that is good at scenery and doesn't need a PhD in photography to use.  (Budget to me - a good few years back now, admittedly! - used to be under £50 but now add a 0 it seems.)




4 comments:

  1. Interesting cathedral to visit. I've never really had a chance to see any yet with a camera. Wells is I had a quick look around along with Worcester which I had a fleeting look inside. At the top of my blog Spuds Daily Photo there is a list of pages, one of them is on the compact cameras I used which are Canon. I now have a Canon SX740HS which I don't use as much now as my iphone. Most manufactures are moving away from Compacts but you can still get Lumix, & Sony but anything reasonable will be costing around £300 to £400 try looking on Wex photographic in Compact Cameras they have quite a few. It's down to what you prefer really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Billy. Will do some research. I've asked Tam's boyfriend for a recommendation too (he's got some good 'uns and knows more than me).

      Delete
  2. Love the surviving Herefordshire Romanesque especially the Green Man. I don't think I saw them when we went quite a few years ago now. Its a lovely cathedral thank you for all the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they had a tidy up and he got poll position.

      Delete