Monday 19 June 2023

Friendships

 A few days ago it was the birthday of a very dear friend of mine who now lives in New Zealand (has done all her adult life) but we were at school together, and part of a little group who were all horse-mad.   I sent a card, hoped to have a video link on the day but she had a nasty cough and could hardly speak, so we delayed it.  Last night we caught up and it was like we only spoke yesterday.  The deepest and best of friendships are like that.  No secrets from one another and you can tell each other anything.  Hell, after 60 years of friendship, that last is an absolute given.  Rosie only had to say "Ilya Kuryakin" and we were 14 again, drooling over this Man From Uncle and I wished I still had the poster of him I begged from the paper shop!  I could take it on Antiques Roadshow and been told it was worth keeping all these years!  I went to bed so happy, thinking of when we used to roam the countryside around where we lived, and knew EVERY pony in every field, or the gypsy cobs/ponies tethered on chains on patches of ground with never a bucket of water in sight.


Lulu taking the air this afternoon.  They think it's too hot to be outside for long.

A couple of days ago it was another of our group of 5, "Little" Lin (and yes, there was a "Big Lyn" too, done purely on height!  We don't speak very often, but keep in touch on the internet and both she and Rosie read this blog.  Once again, it was just like we last spoke a week or so ago, and we chatted for ages and when I put the phone down, I was thinking of happy memories of when we all had our ponies together at Mr Starke's field in Portsmouth Road.  We knew then we were all friends for life.  Sadly, my best friend Trish died early, in 2016, but cancer is brutal.


Lulu from above.  You can see her broad "dorsal stripe" - my Fahly-horse had one too, and donkey stripes on his legs!


Then another friendship ended after 20 years or more.  Sometimes you become distanced when you don't meet up very often, even if you chat online most days.  I wish her every happiness in the future though.



Both the girls up on the bank.  They love exploring (and disappearing!) up there.


I am going to have to go for a walk shortly, despite the pollen and although it is still quite warm.  The Dr took me off the blood pressure pills and as long as I walk most days, my levels are fine.  Of course, I've not been able to do much in the way of walking lately but I'll go down the Groe, where it is at least level, and have a walk before tea.


I went to Brecon today to get the 80 pouch box of Whiskas from B&M Bargains, along with a big bag of woodpellet cat litter, and a couple of plants may have just come home with me to replace eaten Cosmos seedlings and I couldn't resist a BIG bunch of Sweet Williams from Aldi).  I came home the same way as I went - despite intending to go back over the Eppynts, so I picked a layby with a view (and in the mirror too, of Table Mountain above Crickhowell) and sat down with my sandwiches and drink.  The barley is getting quite golden although the wind parting it showed a shadow of green still.  The Honeysuckle and Dogroses thread the hedgerows, and an array of wildflowers spangle the verges.  


Keep cool everyone.



15 comments:

  1. I had an Ilya Kuryakin doll, dressed in his usual black turtleneck. I'd no interest in a doll of the other Man from UNCLE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I never knew there was one of those. Napoleon Solo wasn't for me either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A really lovely post. So happy you are still friends, but so sorry that one has died, and about the end of a friendship. My good friend recently lost her childhood friend. Just heartbreaking.
    Disturbing about the gypsy horses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nan. My best friend who died I miss every day - I still find myself going to the phone to ring her up and ask her things which I know she would remember.

      The end of the friendship - well, all I can say is that niggling little doubts I had down the years knitted themselves together to show a personality I couldn't quite comprehend, and I realized we shared little common ground these days.

      Delete
    2. Most have buckets of water now but back in the day they'd be tethered out with no water and no shade.

      Delete
  4. I was also a fan of Ilya. The show was dubbed into Spanish (we were living in Argentina then), so I didn't know the actor's voice for many years! David McCallum, he's still active on TV shows I think. Long friendships are a treasure. I have a couple since childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy Ilya being dubbed into Spanish. I wonder if they had to change the scripts to follow the actors' speech movements? Where would we be without friends?

      Delete
  5. I have two friends like that, one I haven't seen for nearly 30 years but we chat often on Messenger. We were their sponsors in Iceland. We discovered our paths had been just missing each other by weeks for 15 years!!! We swear we've been connected over several lives. The other is a childhood friend who I met on a local beach when they were holidaying locally. We hit it off straight away, friends now for over 55 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When friendships have deep roots, friends feel like family.

      Delete
  6. Friendships that last the ages are the best. I have lost a few over the years, but made more as time passed by.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made new friends since moving to Builth. Just wish I was still close to the wonderful friends I had to leave behind. I don't see them often enough.

      Delete
  7. oh gosh I was a huge fan of Ilya too!!! Your post brought back some memories. Good to keep in touch with old friends. I still exchange Christmas Cards with two old school friends and when she was local used to see one occasionally. Its amazing how emotionally and mentally you don't change and get on the same as you always did.
    Thankfully, it seems to have gone a bit cooler today and we have had rain!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friendships like that are so special aren't they. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how funny. I remember being quite taken with Ilya Kuryakin. All these years later, he's still acting!

    Your stories of your friendships tugged at my heart. I had a friend like that, and I don't anymore. I miss her, but it makes me all the gladder for my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your baby cats have become sleekly elegant 'teenagers.' Cats can be good company when one is working around the dooryard.
    Long-term comfortable friendships are a blessing. I think of Edie whom I met in Vermont in 1980. We made quilts together, shared endless cups of tea and heart-felt talk. We stayed in touch after I moved to Wyoming and on trips 'home' usually I managed to visit her. It was one of those friendships where we could always pick up where we left off. Edie died about 5 years ago; I miss our letters.
    I'm thankful for blogs and email which make it possible to connect with the friends I'm not likely to see in person.

    ReplyDelete