Monday 5 June 2023

Powis Castle Gardens - Part II

 The sunny weather has continued (bliss) although this morning is cool and cloudy.  Don't think we have any rain in prospect though - the garden is desperate to guzzle some up and I would like a rest from watering round every day!

Tam was here for the weekend and  we all went to Carmarthen Fleamarket yesterday and found some odds and sods worth having.  I may just have found some Victorian horse brasses at the right price.  I will share them when they are polished up.  Keith enjoyed the day out, but of course it was in the mid 70's heat-wise so we both got a bit dehydrated, despite having drinks with us.  It was a struggle getting into the car as underfoot in the car park it is rough stone chippings which Keith finds it very hard to balance on.  I will have to park in a smoother area next time.  





Those yew hedges in all their glory.


This is Iris "Red Ember" though the marker called it "Red Amber".  I would love some of these.




I saw these red thistles in a couple of the displays at Chelsea Flower Show, which I watched avidly.

Cirsium rivulare purpureum. . . .  Note to self!!




Gloire de Dijon growing up pillars either side of the doors into the Orangery.  Beautiful, but no perfume.







The wonderful door into the old stable block, which had me drooling!  I love old stables (says she, who has some of her own!!)


The old looseboxes are now laid out with merchandise of the gardening variety.  Pam and I couldn't resist the little birds and bells hangers (only £12), so got one each.


Well, the next post will be the fabulous walk around Pant y Llyn lake up on the mynydd.  Just magical, and so many foals on the ground now too.

15 comments:

  1. We went to Powys Castle in 2019 and loved it. thanks for bringing back happy memories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to bring back memories for you Angela. It's lovely there and I can't wait to go back.

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence - I was in Welshpool this weekend and said to my companion - I'm sure there's a big castle near here that I've been to years ago,.. Not Chirk castle but ...mmm... Powys castle, that's it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Chirk's a bit further north - above Oswestry I think. Powis is well worth a visit.

      Delete
  3. Such an amazing place to visit. Thanks for sharing the gardens with us.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to strolling round in high summer.

      Delete
  4. I see lots of TEDDY BEARS in that last photo of the wonderfully clipped Yew Hedge - the one above the lovely Irises. Does anyone else? Or am I finally loosing my marbles??
    Powys is one of my Very Favourite castles, I think because it still feels like it's got a 'reason for being' - if that makes sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it does look like teddies with their paws up! Powis is steeped in history and those gardens certainly have a reason for being.

      Delete
  5. I am in total awe of those yews! I don't think I even want to know how they get in and amongst them to trim them! I'm sure Keith, like me, finds many surfaces difficult to negotiate. I struggle on my lawn even! All the unevenness masked by the level mowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a girt long ladder I suspect Debbie! Here you are - they hire a cherry-picker . . . but you'd need a head for heights! https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/wales/powis-castle-and-garden/gardening-at-powis-castle

      Delete
  6. Glad to revive your memories. Both thecastle interior and the garden are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous gardens and views. Love that huge yew hedge and its shape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See link to how they trim it RR. You wouldn't get me volunteering!

      Delete
  8. That looks amazing what a lovely day out, and I love the old stable door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a super day out. I drooled over those stables, which is silly because we have a Victorian stable block here, and earlier original stable partition just like those in the house here! It divides the hall from the Utility room.

      Delete