Thursday 20 July 2023

Cors y Llyn Nature Reserve Photos

 


One of several 6 Spot Burnet Moths which we saw.


Plenty of insects making the most of Umbellifer flowers.  I think this is Water Dropwort.


A more unusual White version of the common Creeping Thistle.


Bullrushes at the waters' edge.


Marsh Pennywort.  I can't recall having seen this before.


Masses of Rosebay Willowherb - or Fireweed if you are Stateside.  We have lots of this in our two paddocks too.  The insects love it.  I once did gardening (well, weeding!) for a couple of townies and when I admired a small field of Willowherb opposite said if he had his way he'd put weedkiller on the lot of it!  No comment.



Some of the beautiful moss. This is Norwegian Reindeer Moss I think.


Looking through the stunted forest.

The walkway (wheelchair friendly too, but not sure if Keith would enjoy being wheeled round here).


Bog Asphodel.


Huge humps of Spagnum Moss.  This has been used to dress wounds since the Bronze Age and was widely used in WW1 as it helped to prevent gas gangrene developing.


I was late planting these but they have finally put out lots of the prettiest flowers - a mix I will get again.

A busy day today - I spent half the morning sorting out Keith's prescriptions with Boots, who were convinced they had given him his Thyroid pills on 3rd July.  Well, his last pills were given us on the 13th June.  They searched all the prescriptions made up then disappeared upstairs and eventually came down with a big bag of all his medications - even one he doesn't take any more, so that will need to go back in the morning.  He is feeling a bit better with his blood pressure and has been walking round (albeit slowly) today.  So, fingers x'd he will improve further.

I finally got back to start baking at 11.30 a.m.  Anyway, a Lemon Drizzle cake is now made, and the little Frittata cupcakes too. 

I didn't find time to plant my lovely Vanille Fraise Hydrangea, and haven't done the housework I was going to do today so will go round with the vacuum upstairs before my shower.

I plan resting up at the weekend when we are promised a months' rain in two days. . .

14 comments:

  1. What a lovely preserve! It looks like the kind of place I could spend days wandering. Would that much rain be welcomed there? It's been so dry here, we'd jump in joy! No rain in the forecast. I hope Keith continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just one main trail around the bog, so it's a short walk, but always something of interest to see. We've had rain daily all month, so would be happy with some longer dry spells again now, rather than a 2 day deluge.

      Will keep you posted about Keith's progress.

      Delete
  2. Super selection of flowers and well identified. I call Rosebay Willowherb, the Lovelies. Why? Because one time we were on a long train journey, and the sidings were smothered with the flowers. Everywhere you looked was Barbie pink. My grandmother was smitten with them. All she kept saying was "oh, look at the lovely flowers" until the name, the lovelies stuck.
    I love your current header photo. To me, it sums up a British summer with ripening cornfields and a Summer storm in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely (sorry, couldn't resist!) name for them. That header photo will be therefor a while as it's difficult to surpass!

      Delete
  3. Plant that hydrangea, it will love all the rain coming your way. I do hope we get some decent rain. I always enjoy your wildflower posts, the nature reserve looks like a lovely place for a wander. I have only recently started to appreciate thistles, their soft down is like gleaming gold and I now realise how much the birds appreciate their seedheads in the winter. The Drove road adjacent to our wildflower meadow is full of ragwort and thistles but everything has its place in nature - the six-spotted burnet moth loves ragwort! We have roofers here today replacing the ridge tiles on the garden room which obviously were not put on properly in the first place and T finally leaves for London today. He took a car load up yesterday and was back here by the afternoon. I think S and I are both feeling a bit sad, I know you will understand BB. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had time in the end, but it's sat out there happily drinking it up. I saw some lovely "tame" thistles on the TV coverage of Chelsea - they were a deep red and looked lovely. Lots of the wild ones about at present, along with Meadow Cranesbill on the verges. SO pretty when there's lots of the Cranesbill. Hope that your roofing has been done now.

      You will miss T although I dare say there will be less demands for a constant flow of grub! I miss Tam after she's been here two or three days, but when she was here long term, there was friction as we are both used to our own autonomy!! ((HUGS)) to you anyway, as you will doubtless be feeling a bit lost right now.

      Delete
  4. Fingers crossed for Keith. That showery rain that appears every day is a bit disappointing for summer, though I suppose it fills the reservoirs. Have a quiet weekend and rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he needs a massage twice a day! His neck soon seizes up again. The electric massager we have here is helping though.

      Happy for cooler days and more rain - I don't do well when it's hot/humid.

      Hmmm - quiet weekend went for a burton!

      Delete
  5. Wasn't Pennywort used in medical preparations in the Middle Ages? The name is familiar from something I've read. I do hope Keith improves - pharmacies getting medication wrong is always a big headache, as they have the records, and then don't want to believe that they are in error! Just had that 'discussion' with my local dispenser.We're in the middle of winter here, and unlike our usual Wellington wet and windy winter, we've had perfectly calm, still days with fine clear weather, while the other end of the island has had a dreadful time. However "Normal Service" has been resumed today - mist alternating with bucketing rain, and then, just for a change, howling wind. I'm inside making a felt unicorn for one grandchild, and the older (8) has asked when his is coming, so there's now a Dragon next in line. That should keep me busy until the weather clears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use Wall Pennywort (Navalwort) for earache with my kids and it worked a treat. Just as well as I don't know how I would have explained a green ear to the Doc otherwise!

      Ah, you're in Wellington. Danny spent much of his NZ year working there and thought it was a nice place to be. Glad you've been having a mild winter in your neck of the woods. The "Normal Service" doesn't sound so pleasant though! Love hearing about your felt unicorn and dragon making.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh, I love the looks of that moth. So interesting, and all the wild flowers are gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are relatively common here. There have been lots of butterflies in the garden - nothing very rare (only one Silver-washed? Fritillary and they fly too fast for photo taking) but good to see the garden humming and butterflies on the Buddleia, Lavender and Marjoram.

      Delete
  7. EEK! That is a lot of rain in the forecast! What is the base of the wheelchair walk way made of? I was trying to make it out, Good luck to Keith.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So far it hasn't been too bad but looks to have set in for the night now. The walkway base is wooden, with a mesh over it for grip.

    ReplyDelete