Saturday 22 July 2023

Family History GOLD - times 2!!!

Yesterday one of my cousins from Hampshire visited with her husband.  It was SO good to see them both again.  She bought stacks of family photos for me to look through (from the house of our aunty who died a couple of years ago).  I have looked through about half so far but was amazed when a fat envelope of postcards came to light, most written by my grandfather Sam to gran Maud, whilst he was posted to Gibraltar in WW1.  There are a variety of addresses but the Chateau at Grand Saconnex was one of them.  This bore truth to mum telling me that gran had worked in Geneva, but I hadn't been able to find out who she worked for at that time, and thought it was between the 1901 and 1911 censuses.  Now I have all the details.  I assume there was a relationship by name - however distant - with this family and Louis Pasteur. A family a lot more interesting than the Accountant she worked for in June 1911 (census time) anyway!



Another family rumour was borne out too - that Gran had an admirer who wrote to her every day she was in Geneva.  She had some postcards written in English and often French (who knew Granny was a fluent French speaker?) from someone called Cecile (female I am supposing) but this one is I think in Italian. If Cecile was female then she was just a good friend.  Gran worked as a domestic servant for Marc Henri Pasteur and his wife, who had property in Geneva and Hertfordshire, and also a grand house in Mayfair.





A postcard my grandfather sent to his future wife (my gran, obviously!) There are LOTS more.





Postcard from my g.g. granny Emily Brown whose family moved from Glastonbury to London.  The family roots go back 150 years in Glastonbury and doubtless long before that too.  

So if that wasn't enough excitement, this morning's post bought a long-awaited envelope with some more family photos in - though sadly not the ones we had been hoping for, which we got photocopies of from the same source some years back.  BUT, there was the original letter dated 1902 detailing some property belonging to the family.  They were unable to get to the Isle of Man with the Deeds as they simply couldn't afford to go.  The property went to the family of the remarried widow (g.g.grandmother) and was then sold on.

A busy baking day here.    I made a batch of Chocolate Marshmallow Muffins for our next door neighbour as a thank you for him changing the UV filter for me (they're for his kids who will be here for the week of the Royal Welsh Show).


Then Keith asked me to bake his favourite Chocolate Apple Cake, so here that is. 



I also baked Courgette Frittata Muffins.  HERE is the recipe.  The small courgettes were home-grown I rescued from the garden before the slugs had them, as they've had all the rest.*However, my cousin and her husband had sandwiches on the way, so I've frozen them now. Sorry photo's a bit fuzzy. I made them a Lemon Drizzle cake too, and got them to take it with them.  Keith isn't keen on it and no way was I going to eat the other half. Forgot to take a photo of that.  (*I've now put lots of eggshell around the plant and hope that will work).


Lemon Drizzle cake below:



Anyway, I shall end for now.  I am planning to go to Malvern Fleamarket tomorrow as it doesn't look to be quite such a rainy forecast and we haven't had the threatened Biblical deluges here today.  Just a normal rainy day really.

Keep dry everyone.



6 comments:

  1. What great information you found on your family.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you've certainly made the most of a rainy day haven't you? How wonderful to have all those photographs and post cards! It sounds like a very satisfactory day, and I am glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that’s what I call a satisfying day. How lovely to have the actual letters and postcards. With my ‘O’ level Italian and reading sideways is the postcard from a woman called Giuseppina and does it refer to weather in the past 15 days getting close to 99 degrees? Or summat like that! We had all day soft summer rain yesterday and I spent the morning cleaning and sorting T’s old domain upstairs. I was able to reclaim my mother’s Georgian chest of drawers, a wedding present from her mother, for all my fabrics and linens and took the opportunity of relining the drawers with a roll of Laura Ashley wallpaper found in the charity shop recently. T has left a large modern desk in the bedroom which will be perfect for cutting and machine sewing at and I’m going start a simple log pattern patchwork quilt. I haven’t done any quilting since we moved apart from finishing hand quilting a half triangle pin wheel quilt and I think it will be nice to have a hand quilting project to see me through the dark winter months. I am also looking forward to setting up my spinning wheel again on the landing. It probably sounds odd spinning on the landing but I have lovely views over the garden and beyond to the hills, the textured landing carpet stops the wheel from moving as I spin, I can hang the drawn fleece on the banister and when it comes to plying I have plenty of space behind me so it is ideal. How about you BB, have you got any plans in the pipeline. I seem to remember you have some beautiful William Morris fabrics just waiting to be made into a quilt. Have a lovely Sunday, it’s just starting to brighten up here and the garden looks refreshed and R. Vanessa Bell has so many buds. I have never spent £30 on a rose before but so far she is proving her worth! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry I have eaten most of the cakes while I was reading. Can you bake some more?
    Well, somebody's relatives had to have worked for famous people, so it might just as well have been yours as the next person. What an exciting find to have made?
    Not that I'm going to go into discussion on my blog about it, but I made an interesting discovery regarding my history this past week which explains why I am experiencing unexplained animosity from certain members of my own family. A throwaway comment made by one cousin set the old grey cells in motion. and whether I've come up with two plus two = 5 or 2 + 2 = 4 I don't know, but it makes sense. Enjoy your cakes while perusing your new photographs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delving into one’s family history is time consuming, isn’t it? About ten years ago, I decided to research mine and actually managed to trace one side of my family right back to the 1600s! I discovered all sorts of ‘very interesting’ facts! My son then took it on about 4 years ago and went into it all in depth and then he decided to research his father’s side as well.
    Yours is really interesting! I enjoyed reading it. And your baking looks fab! 😁

    ReplyDelete