Friday 7 July 2023

Quilt exhibition and visit to a good friend

 


This beautifully kept shop frontage is in Llanidloes where I was yesterday.  I couldn't resist taking a photo.  I stopped on the way to visiting a good friend who lives nearby.



This is the Old Market Hall in Llanindloes, and dates back to the early 17th C. 


I thought this was AMAZING!  You can lean out of the windows to pick your runner beans!!  So much grown in pots and tubs in a very small space in a town.  Tam has been mourning the loss of the (wildly overgrown but wonderful) garden with a house they offered on but went to a cash buyer.  It probably wouldn't have been passed for a mortgage though as it had been empty 20 years or more and was rife with damp etc.  They have offered on another - about the only house which isn't on a main road/in the town/hideous and on an estate but it has a tiny back garden - this may give her hope.  


The grand more modern Market Hall.


Part of a row of pretty late Georgian/early Victorian cottages.


One of the quilts on display in Minerva Arts.  I volunteered there for a little while, but as Keith's health got worse and I had to stop.  It was nice to pop in and see their current display.


One of a pair of whole-cloth hand-quilted quilts made by the same lady.  Beautiful craftsmanship.


This comment was the same for both quilts.




There will be more photos of quilts tomorrow.

I had a lovely visit to my friends place and horsey-cuddles with her mare (the little mini-Shetland promptly buzzed off to the field the moment he came out of his stable, insisting he'd been starved!

I took a belated birthday present for her, and baked a cake - as I always do when visiting or when we have guests.  I made my Manderin Orange cake and just had a slice.  I usually just bake for others - I'm fat enough already! The worst insult you can give me is to refuse a piece of my cake!!

Off to do a big more gardening now that the three horse fly bites I acquired the other day have calmed down.  3 at a time is quite enough!


The view near by friend's home.




12 comments:

  1. I love seeing the quilts, thank you! Must go back and enjoy the picturesque town photos when i have a bit of time to enjoy. So lovely!

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These weren't pretty-pretty quilts but people had to use what they had available.

      Delete
  2. Jack and the beanstalk comes to mind! And do I also spy climbing squash and garlic drying - clearly a keen grower lives there. Llanidloes looks to be a handsome Welsh town epitomised by the shop front. Is there anything more frustrating than buying and selling a house in the UK so best of luck to Tam. I have a weak spot for whole cloth quilts, and perhaps one day I will work one. I would never refuse a slice of your homemade cake and I hope the horse fly bites have settled down and the horse flies themselves have moved on from your garden so you can continue weaving your magic. Please share your list of favourite roses, although I think I can guess two or three of your top ten. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. They had the right growing medium and plenty of water, that's for sure. Tam and J's budget is small. There is not a big selection in their rice range. I wish we could help them out. The one person who DID refuse my offer of cake ("it's fattening") was the now-not-a-friend, but then she put me down over everything which made me tick, even the tv I watched. The non-confident hidden bit of me has taken a bit of a beating.

      Delete
  3. I would never refuse a piece of cake! The small garden is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Celie. Very few people would. That garden is amazing and like me, I think a good crop of runner beans is likely this year.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to grow vegetables in a small space. Wales certainly is a lovely place to live in, those quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly worse places to live. The quilts took many hours to create, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Who could refuse cake? - Not Me for sure.
    Thank you for the nudge to look to see if there is another quilt show in the same village I visited last year or maybe it was 2021.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find that the local quilt show is on.

      Delete
  6. The quilts are lovely. and in very good condition too, they seem. Have you ever been to Claverton Manor the American Museum in Bath? They have an incredible collection of quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and it helped to fire my love of American quilts, and quilt making in general. I really MUST get back to my unfinished one and make a start on the William Morris Heirloom quilt - winter projects though, too much happening in the garden at the moment.

      Delete