Tuesday 1 August 2023

Celebrating Lughnasadh

There will be a proper post in the morning, but just a couple of photos to share my lovely couple of hours out.  I went to Kingston, just half an hour's drive from here, and visited Hergest Croft Gardens.  I wanted to go in the spring, when all the rhododendrons and azaleas are out, but today I was enchanted by the kitchen garden.


Oh my!


There are going to be LOTS of Hollyhocks here next year!  



Keith has been resting.  

    The kittens have been out helping me plant 3 plants (a scarlet Scabious - Fire King I think); the lovely Fairy-flowered Verbena "Brampton" - that went towards the back of the first row of hardy Geraniums along the top of the wall, snuggled behind pale pin Rebecca Moss. Then the little purple-blue Veronica "Moody Blues".  I may have bought a very well grown Verbena bonariensis today (someone had to do it!) and a gorgeous chocolate Cosmos. I want to get lots more of those next year - never seen it before but it's gorgeous. Yesterday Pippi upped her hunting game and was stalking a hen Pheasant - twice her size, but she's a brave wee thing!

    I enjoyed the drive each way - the late summer wild flowers are crowding the hedgerows - purple  Knapweed, creamy Meadowsweet, tall piny Hemp Agrimony, spikes of yellow Agrimony, lilac thistles, pink and white Codlins and Cream (Greater Willowherb), romping blue Meadow Cranesbill, and stands of Rosebay Willowherb whose flowers are nearing the top of their flower wands.

    Tying to count blessings:

1.  Lovely wild flowers today.

2.  A beautiful garden to look round and relax in.

3.  A slow wander round the museum in Kington - it has a very good selection of photographs and information about old water mills in and around the town.

4.  A book I wanted to re-read arrived in the post (Barbara Erskine's Kingdom of Shadows). 

5.  Keith's legs and feet less swollen.


See you in the morning.

    

20 comments:

  1. I think the yellow flower next to the gorgeous (!) hollyhock we call tansy in the US. I so envy the way there seem to be gardens you can visit. I see them all the time on Gardeners' World, and can't believe them. Thank you for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like Fennel to me - I've had it in the garden before and it gets quite tall. There are private gardens which are open in the summer all over the country. I saw one advertised as I drove past today - end of the month I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky, lucky that you can visit. Do they charge a fee?

      Delete
  3. I think the yellow flower Nan enquires after is fennel, if not then it is dill. Both so similar I can only tell apart if I see them side by side and taste the leaf! Both are a favourite of mine, for I have a soft spot for umbels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Have shown a Hollyhock next to Achillea Cloth of Gold for comparison in the next post.

      Delete
  4. You are so knowledgeable about wildflowers. How lovely to be able to identify them and I'm sure you know all about them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first became interested at just 6 years old! An older friend was doing a pressed wild flower project for school and came to our garden as we had lots of wild flowers in the wild parts either side of the lawn. It's always a thrill to find a new-to-me one.

      Delete
  5. The flowers are lovely. I love hollyhocks, but haven't ever grown them. Glad to hear Keith's legs and feet are less swollen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them but the normally damp Welsh climate encourages them to get rust. Keith's feets are even better today. He can still barely stagger around though.

      Delete
  6. The Chocolate Cosmos is lovely isn’t it? I discovered it a couple of years ago and I have some in my garden; it certainly has a chocolate fragrance. I think that the yellow flowered plant in the photo with the stunning Hollyhock, is a yellow Achillea or Yarrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just put it in a nice pot, so I can bring it in over winter, and just tuck it outside amongst other pots next year.

      Delete
  7. I think it's achillia cloth of gold. I've begun visiting gardens but Kington is a bit far for me. I visited Cae Hir last week and even in the rain it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've driven past Cae Hir many a time - can remember when it was just fields! A shame that Hergest Croft is a bit of a trek for you. I would say go in May if you're going to make a day of it.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely garden. Now why did I always think a kitchen garden was herbs and veggies?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks beautiful there - I love dark hollyhocks. I agree with Sal and Ruta that the yellow flower alongside is achillea. I have A. Moonshine in my garden which has pale yellow flowers and feathery grey-green foliage and I prefer it to A. Cloth of Gold. My kitchen garden is a riot and I know there will be bronze fennel and verbena galore when everything is harvested. Chocolate cosmos is very tender - I lost mine last year despite it being overwintered on a windowsill but I will look out for a replacement as I think it makes a great garden table decoration where you can really appreciate the chocolate-scented flowers. Looking forward to hearing more about your garden visit. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a cottage on the way to Hay which has gigantic Hollyhocks - lots of white ones, and lemon. They look splendid. Like you though, I like the dark ones best. I have one self-seeded chap about to flower here. Next year there will be LOTS. I've taken note of the Chocolate Cosmos being tender (I did wonder) and have put it in a pretty pot and will overwinter it indoors.

      Delete
  10. A friend things your mystery plant may be Aconite Vulgaris aka wolfsbane and is toxic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked it up and I fear your friend might be right. The cottage Tam and her partner looked at had Monkshood in the garden, well up the hill bank from the house though. I shall have to find something similar but less deadly!

      Delete