Sunday 20 August 2023

Down in the duldrums


Sorry for my absence.  We have had a difficult week, and it is hard to pick out many positives.  Keith had to have a blood test to check his thyroid levels. At least we managed to get to the surgery, though I had to use a wheelchair to get him from the kitchen to the car and of course, from the car to the surgery. We will be able to phone up for the results tomorrow or Tuesday. That said, he has been getting to teatime too tired to even eat, so I have insisted whatever the blood test says, he doesn't have his medication reduced.  In fact, when the GP heard how exhausted he was, she actually upped the meds again. (This is the same Dr who kept him barely alive on 25mg a day for a YEAR). They take a while to kick in though, and every backward step seems almost impossible to get back from where his walking is concerned.

I went out for a drive last week, exploring up around Maesmynis.  There was a + on the map - indicating a church or chapel but when I got there I was in for a disappointment as it was no longer standing.  Just the footings, and the graveyard.  The minute I undid the gate to go in, there was a beep-beep - you wouldn't think by parking in the parking area I was blocking anyone, but it was opposite the gateway to a field where our next-door neighbour farmers were busy baling silage, and needed that space to turn!



This is the back of the hill just along from our house - I threatened to climb up there when we first arrived, but lack the motivation now Tam's not here.  Plus, I am not fit enough for its steepness!



Looking back towards Llanelwedd Quarry (edge of town)





I believe these are the remains of the Salem Chapel, built in 1826, and rebuilt in 1873.  A photo I found from 15 years ago (on t'internet) shows it still standing. 


 

The last fields of summer.  Leaves are already beginning to turn, and I haven't seen my Swallows recently, so imagine they have either Left Early or are out feeding and getting the youngsters fitter for their epic journey back to Africa.




The Eppynt ranges in the distance.


The view from Tam's bedroom window. I am off out shortly, once I've got Keith settled in the living room.  I need a few bits from Aldi, and will then go blackberrying at Rhayader. I need some me-time.  I was going to go to Wigmore Castle, but had a bad bout of IBS last night and still don't want to be too far from home or "facilities". Update:  Plan B, after walking round Tesco's, I came straight home!

Some positives from the past week - Keith managed to get up to bed without having to use the wheelchair from room to room yesterday.  In one postal delivery, I got a further £15 voucher from Tesco, (I'd already been given £5) because a pack of their Pastrami which I bought, had blue plastic in it!)  Also a voucher for £10 for filling in a shopping questionnaire on line. I had to go to Brecon on Friday to B&M Bargains for cat food etc, and so I walked up from Aldi and went to W H Smith, which was one of the few places I could spend it round here.  I bought a fabulous gardening magazine, and a family history one, which have both cheered me up.  I've also done some positive improvements in the garden and am checking out greenhouses, now I have worked out where I can "plant" one.  

Off to Llandod, and then Rhayader with my foraging basket.
 



24 comments:

  1. Beautiful views again.
    Hope you do get a greenhouse sorted - I love having one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be lovely to grow lots more from seed again. I grew so much in the early days at Ynyswen. OMG - still have nightmares about the "2000" Nicotiana sylvestris which I sowed and I reckon every single one germinated! How is yours fixed Sue? Concrete in the corners for the supports to go in?

      Delete
  2. I hope this week will see better things happening. Especially with Keith. although getting the greenhouse sorted out would be a big positive for you too.
    I have a plethora of Tesco's vouchers I've just switched my home delivery from Tesco to Morrisons. Tesco's lost the right to my custom of being an online customer for donkey years since at least 2005, when they decided to put my groceries in a Jeye's liquid solution in the bottom of my grubby wheelie bin. Box of cream cakes, loaf of bread, frozen pizza defrosting merrily in disinfectant. You get the picture. They gave me a £15 "goodwill gesture" which along with my loyalty vouchers gives me £65 to top up my store cupboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Keith has been more active today (though that said, difficult to be less active . . .) He managed to walk up to bed too. Gosh, I can see why Tesco's home delivery got the boot. What WERE they thinking of putting food in Jeye's fluid in your BIN? £15 is a paltry recompense.

      Delete
  3. I do hope Keith's health improves and they manage to get his medication sorted. We have old friends and our granddaughter staying. My friend is teaching Iris to crochet which is one skill I don't have. Tomorrow we are going to do some retail therapy and then back to Iris's to meet her new kittens. Gill X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gill. It's such a juggling act and really, no joined up thinking - if this happens, it will cause this to get worse. I didn't learn to crochet until I was in my mid-50s. I must get back to it, as it's very restful. Oooh - new kittens!!!

      Delete
    2. Met Iris's new kittens today, brother and sister called Parkin and Eccles, the names Cats Protection gave them. They are beautiful. Parkin is a ginger boy and is going to be huge judging by the size of his paws and Eccles is a petite dainty tabby and white girl but gives as good as she gets. Iris adores them,

      Delete
    3. Oh those sound beautiful. I have a particular soft spot for ginger boys.

      Delete
  4. I had a sense that you'd been having difficult days. The variations from day to day in Keith's mobility and stamina have to be disheartening for both of you. I think you are wise to get out whenever possible, whether to your own garden or off for a bit of exploring. While 'outings' don't change the situation they break up the worry and monotony of care-giving and provide tidbits to ponder. I so wish there was a more positive outlook for Keith's condition--at the very least some sort of stabilizing around which you could build routines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very hard to post when things are difficult here. We struggle so - Keith's only got to make a wrong move and his neck will seize up and that is it for the day - he can barely move an inch. He was at least able to get up on the treatment bed when our massage lady came thi week, and was better for the treatment too.

      Outings, however downbeat, like shopping, at least get me out of the house. I am guilty of buying magazines (ahem, and chocolate!) to cheer me up on bad weeks. I can't begin to say on here how bad things are at times as it's an insult to Keith.

      Delete
  5. Ever asked if they could come to your home to take bloods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might happen sooner rather than later. Keith had a blood test done privately where they came to the house. That was at the back of the downward spiral as it showed unused thyroxine in his blood - oh, we must give him less. Nope, didn't work - just made him 100 times worse.

      Delete
    2. It is sad how one has to wait for months, unless one jumps up and down and makes a nuisance of oneself....I know the system is busy....but if follow ups were prompt, it would probably end up as less work for them and you and less heartache too

      Delete
    3. That's the problem - everything is so delayed that they miss the boat completely and by the time "a" gets to happenwe are fast approaching the needs of "c".

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry Keith is doing poorly. It's understandable that you'd be in the doldrums. I hope the medicine adjustment helps. It seems like something the doctors could finally get right. Gardening magazines are always uplifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doldrums not helped by my days out getting blocked too - I am still needing to get by on the memories of a couple of lovely days out with my friend Gay when she was here a couple of weeks ago. I would have loved to have seen two of my Carms friends yesterday, but had to get back for Keith, as ever. I drove 140 miles yesterday. The gardening magazine has some lovely plantings in it.

      Delete
  7. I do hope that the increased meds will kick in soon for Keith.

    I hope you enjoyed your berry picking.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No berry picking yet, but I must get out and get some soon. I will make jam with the remains of last years' pickings from the freezer - to make room for this year's.

      No real sign of improvement with Keith yet.

      Delete
  8. Poor Keith has had quite a struggle of it. It is hard to watch. I hope they can get him sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so difficult to watch, and my encouragement soon begins to sound like nagging . . .

      Delete
  9. Hugs to you both, and I hope the medication will have an improving effect for Keith. You have lovely scenery to live with and that must be a balm for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed live in a lovely spot and have the much longed-for views from our new home, I may go to the Elan valley this afternoon, berry picking.

      Delete
  10. Oh poor Keith, he really needs something to go right for him with his meds, and maybe now it's time that they came to the house to collect bloods etc. We know what a struggle it is with wheelchairs, we have to help Mum into hers just to go and sit in the garden with her.

    A greenhouse would be a wonderful addition to your growing space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a struggle but we still keep hoping for improvement.

      The greenhouse - if it happens - will cheer me up no end. No - WHEN it happens, I've waited long enough!

      Delete