Saturday 23 September 2023

Finally, Llanarchaeron revisited

 


There are two cats at Llanarchaeron.  This is the mardy one - an elderly stray who took up residence but hisses at you if you approach . . .


As you can see, the brewing of beer was very important to the Estate.



As was bread making. There would have been several of these dough bins, which sell as decorative items for farmhouses now . . .




Part of the dairy, where cheese making was carried out.  The slate slabs kept everything cool.






For several years I had the top half of one of these butter makers down in our Dairy at Ynyswen.  Many had a Haverfordwest maker.  There's another complete one in Carmarthen museum, if you're down that way.
 


The loose boxes with hay racks.  Below, an unusual design of hay rack with the back built into the wall.  Not seen that elsewhere.



The tack room, with below, side-saddles.



The kitchen garden, with lots of herbs, flowers for cutting and fruit trees.





The bees absolutely adored this Wall Germander, so it's on my planting list for next year.







Well, this hasn't been the best week here - Keith has a UTI and for the first 4 days the antibiotics he was given didn't work at all.  He's got some different broad-spectrum ones now and they seem to be helping.  Broken nights this week and the previous one haven't helped Keith at all.  I stupidly forgot to give him his lunchtime pills on Thursday and then got the time wrong for his appt. with the PD nurse - she phoned and we got in as last appt. of the day.  Of course, by the time it came to leave, Keith was tottering so much when he stood up from the wheelchair and I don't know how we managed to get him in the car.  They wished me well the other end - and I was dreading it - but we managed it somehow.  Anyway, Keith's sudden worsening of symptoms generally has resulted in being booked in (God knows when that will be) with the Geriatric consultant at Hereford.  I am praying that the appts. with the MSK physio will help his neck and mobility, as that is what has made him find getting around so difficult as it greatly affects his balance for the worse.


PD nurse is also going to get someone out to try and improve on our method of Keith getting up and out of bed in the middle of the night - she didn't seem at all impressed with what we had in place!  (Heath Robinson and all that . . .)

I have just been out in the garden, having a sort out and taking a saw to the Mullein and then the reverted rose.  It's been here many years but just puts out white single-petalled roses now and does nothing for the look of the garden.  I am thinking about planting an apple tree there instead - perhaps a dark red crab apple.

The low wooden fence fronting a rhododendron has started to collapse from rot, so that will need replacing too. Getting someone to do it will cost more than the fencing!  I may have to try and do it myself.

Today I went to St Mary's Church at Clifford near Hay-on-Wye, so will write that up tomorrow.  

Enjoy your weekend.

21 comments:

  1. There seems to be a reluctance to drink enough here too...himself also with an UTI!
    We must definitely visit Llanerchaeron...that garden looks like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to Llanerchaeron in the not too distant future. It doesn't disappoint.

      Delete
  2. I do hope that the physio and nurse can help to make both your lives easier and that you don't have to wait too long to see the consultant. I've been enjoying your descriptions of Llanarchaeron and it is now on my list of places to visit solo. (My OH has mobility difficulties and doesn't want to go anywhere.) I went there with my walking group back in the spring when the wood anemones were out but we just walked through the woods and meadows with a glimpse of the house at the end. The gardens look wonderful and I like the detailed markers. I visited Caer Hir gardens which are gorgeous but no markers on the plants which was a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm praying for a minor miracle with the MSK physio (Musculo-Skeletal) - at least to free things up properly. Apparently neck braces are no longer considered a good idea.

      Sorry to hear that your husband too has mobility difficulties, but I am sure he won't mind you having a little outing to Llanerchaeron to put a smile on your face. I can remember when Caer-Hir was just fields!

      Delete
  3. Keeping fingers crossed for Keith that he has an improvement.

    Love the pictures of Llanarhaeron. What a great herb garden.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's better than he was but has a way to go with the UTI as of course, this weekend he is drinking less again :(

      The herb garden was very inspiring so I shall be blowing the dust of my Jekka McVicar herb book in the spring.

      Delete
  4. Llanarchaeon looks wonderful and its a lovely garden. I must remember Wall Germander next year too. I hope Keith gets over his infection soon and you can get some better measures in place to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can do is wait and see now with Keith's treatment. He doesn't help himself though . . . then I am of course deemed a "nag" for trying to persuade him to eat/drink more.

      Delete
  5. Hope appointments are sooner than later and you can get some more help.
    Lovely photos of house and gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both Sue. Everyone last week was mentioning carers so I don't know what will happen there. PD nurse said about one in the morning but that I can cope with - it's when things go wrong healthwise and you can't see that coming to cover for it.

      Delete
  6. Llanchaereon looks beautiful and I love that the NT are rewilding so many of their gardens nowadays. I noticed this at Lytes Cary in Somerset on our way to Dartmoor and at Nymans this week where the beds in the courtyard garden were growing wild carrot and teasel and lots of herbs alongside the roses. Hope K is recovering from his UTI (something you definitely don’t want with the difficulties of getting him out of bed in the night) and that you both get all the help you need and soon. Tell K that S has two cups of water on waking and that we are now on our fourth mug of tea in half pint mugs! I think drinking is so important in flushing any drugs through the system, otherwise they sit in the bloodstream stagnating. Do you really need to replace the collapsed wooden fence. Every time something disintegrates in the garden here I am pleased to see the back of it! I am sure the rhododendron will look better without a fence in front of it unless a fence is absolutely necessary there? Looking forward to the church post if you have time. I’m having a rest day after a busy and productive time in the garden yesterday and I am on call for a late pick up of T and his bike sometime after 10pm tonight after a week of cycling through France. Wishing you a lovely peaceful day. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. S drinks a LOT more than Keith, who has been telling me that tea is bad for him. I despair. He gets a bee in his bonnet about things and cannot be persuaded otherwise.

      I shall see how bad things are behind the fence - I know that the chap who does the lawn has been putting grass trimmings there, so I would have to move those for starters (as a mulch).

      I am calling this a rest, having had a very busy morning, stripping my bed, vacuuming, doing two lots of washing, and mucho baking (it was bread day too). I made your Flapjacks for Keith - though had to substitute mixed fruit for the dessicated coconut, as one pack was dated 2019 and the other 2017!! They have been chucked, needless to say. Keith really likes the Flapjacks, so a success there.

      I think our sons have been spending a lot of energy - T cycling in France, and here Danny has just run his first 1/2 Marathon in a decentish time.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear that Keith, and because of that you too, are having such a tough time at the moment. You must really cherish the few hours that you can get away every now and then.

    I remember so much of Llanarchaeron from your photos, thanks for the reminder. I still struggle to spell it though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met someone who used to live just up the hill, but kept on a little plot of garden when he sold the house and holiday lets. His wife has Parkinsons and so we commiserated for a while yesterday when I was out for a walk.

      I bet you have some fabulous NT properties up your way to go and explore.

      Delete
  8. Llanarchaeron interiors are so interesting. My Swiss ancestors were beer and cheese makers, brought to America by Kraft Cheese to make their commercial cheese but also had home cheese cave and beer and wine making facilities, probably very like the rooms you show. The gardens are lovely too.

    I am so sorry for you and Keith's medical problems.

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not surprised that your Swiss ancestors were involved in beer and cheese making. Good that they were head-hunted to go and work for Kraft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes apparently despite their skills, they were quite poor and the American dream gave them a chance to succeed and also education for their children. 1880-ish? One of my great uncles, a descendent, still had his cheese cave and huge wheels of artisan swiss cheese, when I was a little girl, tho I don's much remember that. And all the grandpas etc made beer and wine. [badly, nasty stuff, lol.]

      Delete
  10. It's all very well offering you good luck when you get home, they should be organising help! I hope the AB's have worked now. I had my 'flu shot yesterday and have done little else other than sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that you both find a bit of relief. You both are having quite the time of it. I have come back to look at these pictures several times and each time I wind up with the same question. How does that butter churn thing work. I have tried to work it out in my head several times but cannot make a bit of sense to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think all those rooms are a tribute to self sufficiency, bread, beer and butter. We forget with the ease of supermarkets how difficult it would have been to get food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dairy and brewery spaces gave me a rather damp shivery feeling. I could have spent hours in the gardens and have been enlarging your photos trying to identify plants. I have two little clumps of germander in the much abused raised bed strip near the front door. The plants are scarce here and it was a real fluke finding them at a garden center several years ago; They've been less fussy than thyme as an edging. I think I spotted tansy against a brick wall, soapwort[?] Joe Pye weed [?] Wandering through a garden [especially if not one's own to weed!] is a restorative measure. I noticed the well-behaved clump of nasturtiums; mine were very laggardly, only now putting on a show of blooms.

    ReplyDelete