Sunday 3 September 2023

I survived - just!

 


Top table.


No lyrical words or poetry tonight - I am too tired.  It's amazing that I survived yesterday at all as I had just 3 hours' sleep and by mid afternoon I could cheerfully have laid down on the bare concrete floor for a nap, I was so tired.   But it's surprising what the human body can stand.  However, I saw old friends and made new ones, including a lovely lady (waving to you Beryl Read) and Tam and Jon came and helped, which made a big difference.  I was next to the lovely Neil again, and he's great company.  Everyone in our shed in the immediate vicinity are friendly.  




There were very few people through the gate, especially today, but that said the folk that did come were there to buy and I had a good fair.  Not everyone did, and there were more low value type stalls than there had been in the past. Fortunately I sold some BIG things - difficult to pack, heavy, odd shapes etc.  I was VERY relieved to get rid of the  lovely old Lancashire bobbin back chair as it had come with us from Ynyswen where we had double the room than we have here.  I also got new homes for two lovely Gwili Pottery bowls, the French yellow bowl on the left of this photo,  and lots of interest in a platter that I have had ages and no-one took any interest in before. That said, I still have it!  Thank heavens I sold the big carved eagle I regretted buying as it and its box took up a chunk of room in the Utility.


Keith's side of things and I am delighted to say he made it along to the Fair today, courtesy of Tam and Jon, who managed to get the mobility scooter into the back of his vehicle.  Keith didn't see the entire Fair - his neck had seized up and was very painful, and so we just went and chatted to a couple of his mates who were selling there, and looked around a couple of the sheds, and he bought something from my next-door neighbour, so was pleased to have a bit of a deal.  He was glad to get back home thoughHe's been watching a series about terrorists in the Middle East on tv.  Not very restful viewing of an evening, but if it keeps him happy, who I am to complain.  T&J are here overnight again, and Tam will be working from home tomorrow, so they didn't have to rush around tonight.

I bought absolutely nothing - tbh, there were very few things that attracted me.  I didn't manage to get into the best stalls in A1 building I think it is.  That's where some really nice antiques are, the sort of furniture we like especially.

Back tomorrow with some more photos from the Fair.  Hoping you all had a good weekend.

12 comments:

  1. I used to stall at various vintage fairs and although it was great fun, it was certainly tiring! Always an early start and on one’s feet almost all day! At least you managed to offload a few things...especially big items! I sold mostly vintage fabric, which was, at least, easy to pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, vintage fabric much easier to pack. There were two ladies at Malvern - a buyer and a seller, discussing her wares, and she bought a length of lovely print. Then produced one she bought earlier and they were enthusing over that! Lovely to see two happy people.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear it went well. Hopefully you can rest up tomorrow. Seriously, two of your tables look like I brought out the contents of my attic, right down to the onion lamp!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see we have lots in common with our collecting tastes! Only one person interested in the Onion Lamp, and they didn't buy.

      Delete
  3. I see some treasures! Esp like the redware platter, the big yellow bowl on the left, and the red batter bowl behind it. That is quite a display of weapons! It does sound like very hard work, I oftern think how hard sellers work when I am at the flea market.

    love

    lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The little redware platter - is what I called the folk at bird plate (studio art) - that sold. Still have the batter bowl. The yellow French bowl sold to a dealer for their shop. It is a long day. I was able to sit a fair bit and read before it got busier and when it got quieter. Even so, very glad to be back under my own roof with everything packed away again. Keith has some interesting things on his stall - if only they could talk!

      Delete
  4. I am glad it went well and you survived and sold some items. Pleased too you had help and Keith was able to come along for one day as I am sure the outing will have done him good. Hope you can have a more relaxing day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith enjoyed his outing but found it very tiring. Today is another catch up day - yesterday was a do-the-grocery-shop sort of catch up today. I shall be changing beds etc this morning.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an exhausting day. Good that Keith was able to get there, hope you both can relax today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's half a day setting up (and you aren't allowed to leave until 7 p.m.) and then two full-on days from 7- 6 on the Saturday and 8 - 5 on the Sunday, but I was home by five. Unpacked yesterday.

      Delete
  6. Oh my good LORD! My husband would have been excited to meet your husband and talk about his wares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and how my husband would love to talk about them. Sadly, his speech is deteriorating now but it's better when he DRINKS MORE!

      Delete