Thursday 12 October 2023

St Mary's Church, Pembridge

 


HERE is a good page about the history.  Sorry - too tired to look for it/post it last night.  "I'm sorry" seem to be the words I speak more than anything to Keith these days.


A lovely early font dating from the 13th C.



There are a series of 12 lovely embroideries (called tapestries though) which show the history of the village down the centuries.  Very skilfully and lovingly sewn.



























Stunning carvings on the pulpit.  These date to the Restoration period, around 1660.





Goar family memorials. They were very important folk when the Mortimers were holding sway here.



Mason's marks - just one of many.



Superb wall memorials too.


Well, this has taken me all day, on and off and apologies for the lack of information, but I'm very tired today.  There have also been Distractions . . . Kitten-cats with rodents, Openreach calling to tell us our loss of phone/broadband yesterday was down to the hedge-trimmer cutting the line in half . . . which is why you didn't hear from me yesterday.  Then Flu jabs this afternoon - at least that's one thing out of the way. The receptionist was on the ball, saw it was us and we were about to unload Keith into his wheelchair, and said she'd send the nurse out, so we had ours in the car park!   I have my Covid jab next week, but Keith's not heard about having one yet.  Our evening meal is nearly ready - steaks cooked in the slow cooker, veg and home-made chips.

Kitten-cats have had another rodent - last seen legging it under the dresser, but now apparently mislaid . . .

After our meal I am going to check out the H E Bulstrode book about people's personal ghost stories which I downloaded to my Kindle yesterday.  I follow him on Facebook and he is always writing really interesting snippets of folk lore and history with a ghostly side to them.  He is very thorough with his research.

Nighty night.


11 comments:

  1. I hope your phone is back, it must be or you wouldn't be on here. That was very observant of the receptionist, and kind of the nurse to come out to Keith with his shot/jab. I'm waiting to hear about the Covid one next and also the Shingles. Had my 'flu one three weeks ago.
    Such a lot of work gone into those embroideries. Lovely images, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh to the cut line. We did this accidently, as we dug a trench. (We had no idea the line was underground!) We managed to not only knock out our line which we did not realize because we do not have internet or phone at the new build. We also took it out for the neighbors across the road. Great way to make a first impression!

    That church is fascinating. I have never seen windows high above the chancel like that. I have never heard of your H.E. Bulstrode, but I like a good ghost story as well as any! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was able to find a used copy of Uncanny Tales! Just placed the order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful stitching - some very talented people in that village for sure.
    And an interesting church too

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bought Bulstrode's book then, wasn't sure about it especially as he kept plugging it. Our clinic did both vaccinations together (in different arms) last weekend which makes just one trip and a doctor on hand to check us as well. Those embroideries are so lovingly done they are a treasure in their own right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “I’m sorry” is said often here too. It is so hard to be endlessly patient all the time. Lovely church and the embroideries are so special. I love community embroideries - lots of patience needed for these. A very high-sided vehicle probably driving on a road he should not have been on took out a power line around here recently and we and 700 houses were without power for seven hours. But the best thing about no power is no wifi! We have a date this month for Covid and flu jabs and S has a date at the end of October for his hernia operation about which he is very worried. I think we’ll be having a very quiet November and I will have to employ all my nursing skills and patience. But we are inching closer to selling our publishing business (S’s retirement in June proved a mirage) so that is something to look forward to. I like a good ghost story too so will check out your book. I have just finished “Adam Bede” by George Eliot. I know George Eliot is not to everyone’s taste. I did Middlemarch for ‘A’ level so had to know it inside out and The Mill on the Floss is one of my favourite ever books and one long summer holiday I even read it aloud to my children a chapter or two every evening, and they loved it too. I pulled Adam Bede from my bookcase after visiting the Blue Idol Quaker Meeting House in the Sussex Weald and have really enjoyed immersing myself (taking refuge even!) in a rural community in the middle of England in 1799. It definitely beats my current book group read which is all about the war in Ethiopia in the 1930s and the dreadful crimes committed by Mussolini’s army. Not my cup of tea especially with what is going on right now. When will we learn that we cannot treat humanity as political pawns. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful embroideries, if we get to Herefordshire must go and see them. Our grandcats were very naughty yesterday, Parkin totally missed the dirt tray and had both over the floor and then Eccles demolished Iris's Lego Chess Set which we couldn't find the instructions for so had to put it away in a cupboard for Mummy to sort. Do hope you feel less tired and Keith is beginning to improve. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like seeing new work..shows that skills are carrying on

    ReplyDelete
  9. The embroidery, windows and wood carving are all wonderful. What a lovely church. That was very kind of the nurse to come outside to give you both the vaccinations. I hope you're getting sleep and Keith is recovering from the UTI.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely tapestries and I do love the shape of that fount.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, the word sorry is said to my dh a lot of times in this house. Never seem to hear it being said to me though...

    Anyhow, love the embroidered pictures. A lot of work gone into them.

    I haven't seen Bulstrode but will check him out. Have you seen Eddie Lenihan's podcasts on Youtube? He has collected stories from all over Ireland in the past 40 years and has several books published. I ordered Meeting The Others which is about fae encounters in Ireland. His stories on youtube are free and fascinating to listen to.

    ReplyDelete